Whistling Through the Marais

A few months back .......



She came out.












She went back in.






Then she emerged next to the main line.






Then Amtrak flew past her.






And then she lumbered out.






And bent all she had in her to make it home pulling her heavy load.






If you had seen this play out, wouldn't you have to know

how she got from her point of descent to where she emerged

especially if you knew the rumors and reputation of the area

they call the Marais?


I did. Map time. This area is southwest of Jeanerette, La.

The red line is the main BNSF route between Lafayette and

New Orleans. The green line is the route of the long gone

Missouri Pacific Railroad. Teal marks the route of the trans

Marais which the Louisiana and Delta uses to access a famous

sugar mill. I don't feel comfortable involving the mill's name

so to keep me chillin', we'll call it the Marais Railroad. It is

owned and leased by the mill. I have connections which

facilitated my lone adventure into this wilderness. I tried

to forget about la credeurs and le foofoolais of which the

rumors speak quietly.






Roughly speaking, it's about a mile across at this point.

The last signs of civilization, besides the rails would be here

on La.85.






Turning around, my route lay ahead.






Down the hill I turned around thinking I was a pretty dumb bumpkin.

Cellphones are also rumored not to work in the Marais Basin. What

would you tell a 911 operator, "a goopahloo has got my leg and left"?






Down we go. Next stop is the Delahoussaye Canal which

is more or less the beginning of Hoodoo Land, locally.






The trestle recently burned, Mr. Billy told me.

A gahsah is suppose to have started it. We never got into

what a "gahsah" was. I guess if one popped up I'd have to

ask it if it was a fire starting gahsah. Who ya gonna call?

Ghost Busters? They may have to study up on gahsahs, first.









You trolls down there?












I think I was hesitant thus the number of slime water shots.






Then it seemed the tracks in front of me levitated. I was going uphill

when I thought I'd be going down.






At this point I was nervous and firing pretty quickly.






Ahead I saw the smoke stack of the old mill at Loisel.

The rails were aligned with it. Remember this.






I zoomed out to make sure.






And zoomed back to reality. I had a walk in front of me.

It was 96 degrees and there was no breeze except what

I made by my pace. It was quiet.






I tried walking on the side. That worked better. Still, limestone

is not that fun.






Then the rails did something weird, they turned.






And went into another straight.






The Loisel stack was gone.









There were parts everywhere.












The shade was appreciated.









Not a mountain stream. I constantly looked for snakes and

spiders.









Memories of past ties.






More up hill.






I felt like I was climbing a mountain. At least the return

trip would be downhill.















Oh boy, was this the turn to meet the main line?









Suspenseful, eh?






I'd been here.






Yes, indeed.









I'd made it. Could I make it back? I'm not a hiker but more

of a computer starer. Looking toward Jeanerette.






Looking toward New Iberia.






Looking down.






Looking.






Looking some more.






Time to go back.






Looking down.






Going back and looking some more. Amtrak had passed.






Maybe it would seem closer walking back?









It seemed like uphill to me. I'm not kidding. The pictures

say it was downhill. Something was messing with my mind.









Call maintenance.
























I bet Mz Utah has to suck it in to make it by here.









I missed the mid route turn. I think I was getting delirious.

I'd forgotten the water.






Obviously, that was it. I thought I was back at the trestle.









Ah, here we go.











I've been happier, but rarely.






I could handle this up hill.









I was so glad to see the slime.





















Delores Rita waited for me. I could only imagine how wonderful

a 30 mph breeze would feel.






Back up the cane field we rode.






Then I'd take Burleigh back to Old US 90.









We crossed the Delahoussaye Canal again.









Are you seeing something ahead?






Yes, the Loisel stack. Figure that one out.






That's zoomed in from Burleigh Rd. That's where we were.






This is with no zoom from Burleigh Rd.






Old US 90 lay ahead.






Back in New Iberia I rode by Mz Utah. She laughed at me.

I was too tired to return fire.






The other girls were out in the yard playing.






Including one of the Mountain Laurel ladies.






That's it. I think the day was so hot the gah-roo and the

shewahs were napping. Maybe one late October night would

be better for them. Join me at the dance. I'll bet the band

will play the Marais Two Step Boogie.