2012 Back to McKneely Spur Page 2

Continued from Page 1 (Obviously)

At Krotz Springs, I visited my friend, Old US 190.
It now services the camps between Krotz Springs and Bayou Courtableau.

 I did the obligatory ride through town and by the rail bridge, 
but I  soon put KS and its New US 190 bridges behind me.
 At Lottie I got off the slab and took La.81 to the Livonia Hump Yard.
The gates were coming down as I approached.
 False alarm, it was a train working in the yard.
I didn't  have time to wait this one out.
 I did take time to pan around the lumber works.
There had been a large forestry business closer 
to Lottie. I talked to a descendent of one of the owners a while back.
I think it dealt in red cypress.  The conversation was difficult.


I rode quietly through Fordoche at the prescribed 45 mph.
At the crossing I found a train running on the sidetrack.
I was possessed with trying to get a better shot without stopping and becoming a target.
The end result was that I crossed the tracks about 50 times which certainly was not stealth worthy.

A  better picture was gotten by accident on the return trip.
I rode north on La.77 to McKneely Spur.
Just as Mark had said, there was a flagman, but where?
 Just as Mark said, McKneely Spur seemed to be safe.
 Crossing back across the rails to the south side, I saw something out in 
the field east of Highway 77.
  
 I crossed back over the rails and looked west out the old Texas and Pacific
ROW which went  to the Melville  Achafalaya River rail bridge.

  I turned and looked east toward the stuff I'd seen in the field.
There was no flag man. There was no one around I headed down the road.
There were no signs either and I knew the farmer across the street.
It was Friday afternoon and they were gone.

 This was the scene. The railroad  is building what looks like a huge side track for the main rails.
This would allow any flow and temporary storage for trains headed west or those waiting
to get into the busy yard at Livonia. Across the river, at Palmetto, there is a long sidetrack also. 
And, it looks like its construction is moving west.
 After 50 shots, just to make sure, I headed back to the highway.  What timing I'd had. I should 
have checked out the west side. But, I felt like I'd played out my cards.

 At Fordoche I gave the crossing shot  a couple of tries.

 Bingo. I do think I saw the yellow engine from the new construction.
That's it. for today. There will be one more.