2012 Back to McKneely Spur Page 3

Continued from Page 2  (Obviously)


You may have noticed, but probably not, that when you exit Lottie on US 190, 
going up the levee, that there is a yellow gate to the right with a 
road going down to a large cement highway 
You can't get to  that highway because it has been taken over by 
a hunting club. It is their own little private kingdom with our 
highway running through it. 
After the Morganza Spillway was built, it became a hazard to motorist.
The cement, even after last year's flood is pristine.
I talked to a fella and actually begged to take some 
pictures along the way. He let me go  in 1/2 mile of the 
6 mile length across the Spillway.
These are the pictures from that short foray into the Atchafalaya the 
way motorist once saw it prior to 1958, I think.
You know, I may remember this road. We lived in New Orleans and had to come this way
to get to our family home in Shreveport.  I do remember,  I  can see the earth movers. 
I can remember 
my father pointing out Bayou Courtableau. This is an epiphany.
Courtableau was crossed by a simple bridge, much like the ones below.
Now I'm wondering about the date on the control structure on the bayou.


 A side road.

 The present 6 mile bridge. The tracks are beyond it.
They, too, were once on the ground.


 I think the road was built in 1940.   Pretty good road for a hunting club.

The Basin was dry.

 Some places weren't .
 The railroad had ridden near ground level. I think this its ROW.


 And this is the Krotz Springs East  entrance.  How did these people get our road?
It's Louisiana, you can't get around that.
I know someone that has ridden the full length.
Here are a few shots. I believe he went in this way.
Old 190 is seen as the north route.
Present day 190 is  the next one beneath it.
The present day rails can be seen below it.
Lottie is to the east, Krotz Springs to the west.
The picture above is taken where the old road and the new one meet, very 
close to the KS bridge.

 The bridges are the same as the ones west of Krotz Springs.

 This is looking west toward the river and the bridge. 
I was amazed at the alignment with the present new bridge.

 Up and over I'd go.
After further inspection, it looks like one of those cows crossed shortly before i did.


Slowly into Krotz Springs
Every year Krtoz Spirngs and Port Barre play a bowl game around Christmas time.
KS and PB bring out their bowls of speeding tickets and the one with the most takes home the trophy. KS's 45 mph starts on the east side of the bridge.
Look  up and you can see T-Ned in the rafters taking your picture.
Say "Cheese".

Things got kinda bleak on the way home. Fortunately, the lightning
didn't get me and only a little rain. 10 minutes after parking, it
all broke loose.