The Hi and Low Roads {The Texas & Pacific Railroad in N. Central La.}

The High and Low Roads

I sent out an "old" map to a few people I know who appreciate such things. oo-L responded that he figured it to be post 1960 in vintage. I had figured it older. He based that figuring on the fact that the Cypress to Shreveport T&P line had been picked up. He called it the "mainline". This contradicted what I'd been told by Mike Wilson (RIP). Like in many of our exchanges Mike liked to quiz me. Then I'd admit ignorance and he'd proceed with his wealth of knowledge. In one conversation he asked if I knew about the T&P route that took off from Cypress and went north into Shreveport. Of course I had no idea but to curb his relentless attach upon my knowledge base, I found the route on the old topo map I had and sent him pictures of it accompanied by a victorious, "You mean this one". He said it was the route used in case the main route to Shreveport which follows La.1 north through Natchitoches was flooded. Again, OO implied that the main route was the Hill Line route into Shreveport by way of S.Mansfield. So there I was stuck between two experts, one a historian, the other the son of a T&P railroad man whose passion it was to know his father's former company.

 Here we go with our exchanges. Remember, OO is speaking from a historian's viewpoint taking into account the full historical spectrum of the subject. Mike was speaking from his father's perspective, being employed as a fireman, steam engineer and diesel engineer into the 70's. His last route was from Bunkie to Church Point, La. So it began. Remember this started during a simple map discussion. OO is first: I'd say that the map is post-approximately-1960-ish. This is because the original T&P line in northwestern Louisiana has been removed.
 
The original T&P line diverged from the current UP alignment at Cypress and ran through Flora, Provencal, Robeline, Marthaville, Pleasant Hill, Pelican, Oxford, South Mansfield, Grand Cane, Gloster, Stonewall, and Keithville, reconnecting to the current UP route at Shreveport. The current line roughly along LA 1 was the "Natchitoches Branch." While the named passenger trains and the through freights took the original main line, the branch hosted local passenger and freight trains to serve the college {NW State} and wholesalers, lumber yards, etc. at Natchitoches, plus cotton shippers in the fall. The {Natchitoches, La.1 Red River} branch was also flood-prone in those days. The mainline, sometimes called the "Hill Line" was full of sawmills and thriving sawmill towns. All of this eventually changed with the demise of the sawmills and better flood control along the river, and MP realized that it had one line too many between Cypress and Shreveport. One had to go. Me: I was stuck. OO was calling the Hill Line The Mainline. Mike said it was a secondary line used in times of flood. OO said the line through Natchitoches was the secondary line used lightly or seasonally. I was confused. Clarity would be short coming. 
 
I added this trivia after his description and before the presumed discrepancies sunk in: I have property east of Longstreet. All those little towns are are easy riding out of there. The historic buildings would be neat to see along with the ROW. Sounds like a road trip to me. Thanks for the info, Steve
Then I added more trivia. It's a gift I use to buy time until my mind re sets. PS: My info source was Mike Wilson (the old Railroader writes author) Mike passed away in April. If you wanted to make him mad, just say MP. His dad worked for the T&P and the absorption was not a happy event for the family. They loved the T&P owner like a benevolent uncle. PS2: I've seen a picture of the depot at Cypress, never could really place the town with confidence. 

OO located Cypress for me and I set about tracing the tracks of the Hill Line on my software. 

Steve,
The Cypress depot should have been where the two lines forked. On this map, I have indicated the Hill Line with magenta dots: 
 

I went to my topo and traced these. Click them to enlarge: 



 
   The Cypress Depot.
  
Notice the rails going off to the left. Could that be the "Hill Line"? Could this be, quoting 00, "where the two lines forked"?  
On up the Hill Line was this one.
  
Here's a little history on the La. 1 route through Natchitoches, The Railway Age, 1901.

 

Next, OO clears up my envisioned conflict which in reality he had made clear earlier. I'm just a little slow.
Steve,
It is probably true that the Hill Line remained longer than its own inherent usefulness as an alternative to the flood-prone Valley Line. Even before the Hill Line's removal, the glory had shifted to the Valley.
.......... the Hill Line became the secondary line well before its removal. It was, however, the original main and had the majority of traffic in its glory days. Now all the facts are synched. Discussions of history should always include a date for the comprehensively impaired. OO just donated a T&P schedule that includes the above routes. It is large so you'll have to click on it to open. 1916 Timetable

   

Then OO and I got off on La.120 which I'd ridden years ago. We'd done a very high portion of La. 120 above Provencal in a falling apart 72 Winnebago. It had been in the winter with low hanging clouds all around and was quite beautiful. The road was horrible and my wife was wondering what I'd gotten her into.
OO responded:
LA 120 runs from Cypress to Provencal, where it ends. It then mysteriously resumes in Robeline and runs to Zwolle. It used to be continuous, with an unpaved segment between Provencal and Robeline, but DOTD surrendered that segment to the Natchitoches Parish Police Jury. I drove the segment about six years ago. It was bad!
As far as I know, {La.120} that's the only Louisiana state highway that has two discontinuous segments--not counting routes that cross ferries, of course. Then he plugged a Yahoo Group which may compete with train-chasers for the Unappreciated Category Award. If you're interested in "talking roads", sign up. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/roadgeek/ .) That's it for this little ditty. The Hill Route is through Gorgeous Louisiana which is history rich. If you are a Civil War enthusiast, a visit to Mansfield is a must. Then again, Natchitoches is no ugly duckling and a bit history heavy also, being the oldest continuous settlement in the Louisiana Purchase. Thanks again OO-L PS: One more contribution from OO-L "Below is an 1895 map that shows the T&P on the Hill Line, and only the Natchitoches & Red River Valley from Cypress to Natchitoches existing on what would become the Valley Line. 

 
 Be advised that the "Sodus" mentioned on the 1916 timetable is what came to be called "Pleasant Hill." It's all explained HERE.