One More Run on the OGNE Railroad

Noon was upon me and I knew that Friday and the weekend would be rainy. It was the first day of October and our Fall weather pattern was beginning. No matter what kind of weather you want during this period, we have it. If it's nasty, we either deal with it or wait a day for perfection. The only factor the weather would play in Thursday's ride was a fine backdrop for the outing. The recent cool front was being washed out by a light southerly breeze. The sky was blue, the warm sun allowed for another Walmart t-shirt clad adventure. 
Perfection.
Well, almost.
  
I stopped by Al's to see if he wanted to come but he was in the middle of a home schooling session with his son Alonzo. It was obviously not going well. I left knowing Al's pain. When the green rimmed sun glasses start appearing, it means trouble. Clearing my head of his problems, I zoomed off to the land of railroad mysteries, Opelousas. 

My wife has recently taken to reading my ride reports. Why the sudden interest? With my new reader came her opinion. She does not stab with a powerful thrust but hesitantly twists the blade with a halting push. She starts a statement and then backs off and makes me beg to know her cruel and cutting observation of my offerings. Then, graveling at her feet, she lets it go:

"I lose it trying to get through all that railroad stuff. That's probably why no one reads your website anymore. And who can relate to a thousand pictures of overgrown fields, bumps in a pasture and shots of rusting rails stuck in cement in some industrial wasteland or inner city street? No one relates to that". 

As usual, she's probably right. Wanting to keep every reader, including even her, I'll try to do better and not share my emotional moments of discovery with you, my fleeing and fleeting readership. 

Moving on:
This is a vacant lot on Convent Street, once Onnibane's Grocery. Convent Street is without a doubt a part of the route the OG  took through Opelousas. 

Is that better dear? I was thinking of you while I took it. In the foreground is Convent Street. The cracks in the concrete run laterally with the street. I feel the cement was laid over the rails as patches. 
Convent was the OG.
  
 I didn't get a shot down Convent, I know that is troubling. 

I rode around to Railroad Ave. and entered Louana Oil's  parking lot and went to the place the GPS pointed to where Convent would have continued. A new link in the mystery chain had been solved, at least in my mind. From that point to where the OG's route crossed the Southern Pacific's and the Missouri Pacific's Rails is still an unknown, but I think I have an idea. 
Edit:: All of  that has been solved and my guess was correct.

What three great minds have deduced is this, the rails ran on Convent Street and crossed the small bayou at its dead end and continued, skirting or running through where LouAna Foods now sits. Looking through the trees at the end of Convent Street from the Railroad St. side. 
  
Here's a map:
  
You can see W.Convent at the top of the red "Y". That's the OG. I think it came down and and joined the loop under Louana Foods which was built by the T&P as an exchange to its Ville Platte route that went to the west side of the "Y". My configuration also allows for a connection between the the Melville Route, Convent Street, and the Church Point route, the bottom of the "Y". Looking closely at the Google Earth view, bare or lighter coloring seems to support that thesis. There even seems to be a cut in the back of the power station to facilitate its passage. (that may be imagined) That's it for the page. My dog's hungry, I'm hungry and even this page is boring me. We move out into the country on the next page. There will be country scenes, a great riding route, old homes, pretty roads and one or two ditches with rotting railroad ties to enjoy. I was retracing Mark's father's route which he had retraced. I was retracing it in an attempt to mop up a little more. I did not go where Mark had been verbally attacked because my mop is useless is such circumstances. The orange line is how I feel the Opelousas Gulf and North East Railroad passed through Opelousas. The yellow route is my path on Thursday.

Edit: My attempt was pretty close.

.  


Edit: Below is the way a contributor to "Open Street Map" pictured it. It came right off of West Convent St.
and dove southwest across the bottom of Louana to Guidry St. There it continued to 
the next "big town", Lewisburg.

On the previous page I promised that we were finished with this urban part of the ride. Well almost. I send these pages out one at a time these days because I'm old and I never know if I will finish a whole ride report, much less a ride. That aside, I sent out the last page and immediately got five responses saying how much they enjoyed just what my wife doesn't. To them I say, you live with her. Just kidding, of course. But, they did ask if I had some good ones and to please post them. So, I will and just not tell my wife about this page. I had found the location of the Texas & Pacific/OG Railroad depot listed in an old book. It was in western Opelousas on US 190 West. I looked on my GPS and saw where those rails, sitting atop their high berm, exited Opelousas to the south, headed for Church Point. I was now on a mission to shoot all the rail related and dependent buildings along the Texas & Pacific/Opelousas Gulf as it went south. Above the depot was this beauty, still in use.  
Just gorgeous, seriously. Those are rail loading doors where the truck is. There was probably a siding for the business. Next I went below 190. Here come the distasteful,  to some, shots. This is one block south of the depot looking back at it.
  
This is looking the opposite direction, south.
  
I was using my "cow catcher" lens for this shot. This was in the road. It is now at my house. The place where I found it is marked on the map above. That also gives you an idea of where we are thus bringing life to the whole experience.
  
It's a rail plate. They are used to distribute the rail's weight onto the rail tie. The rail sits on it, it sits on the cross tie. The spikes are driven into it with the tang coming down on the rail. Done. This one has one guide ridge and the spike slots on the non ridged side allows for adjustment so the plate can be used with rails of slightly different base width. I found a book on rail plates, unbelievable. If insomnia is your problem, I'll lend it to you. Two blocks away from the depot were these shots. Again, looking back at the depot.  
And another railroad dependent business.
  
I'd say it's oil field related also. Mark's dad knows. 

Next, going south and approaching La. 357, the tracks crossed a large field. In the place of those pictures I'll show the lake that I couldn't show in the last write because it would disclose our location. I can show you now because you are too lazy to look back at the last write and frankly I  could care less.
  
Here's looking south from the last "in town" location.
  
South of town I did this. Yellow is me. The rails are "++++". 
  
At the first crossing I saw Mr. Goodwin had named the OG/T&P's route after himself with absolutely no acknowledgment to how it actually came into being. How self gratifying is that? Narcissist are everywhere.
 
Here come some non-RR pictures I took trying to get back to 357 where I could continue south and find other OG/ T&P crossings. You see, following these old RR's leads to places I'd otherwise never go. I used bayous and rivers for a while, then ran out. I'm nearing running out of RR's that actually have visible remains. 
Edit:. That has not hindered me.
  
Sometimes these roads peter out. This one made it all the way to the highway. 
You would never know it was there. These next two were in the "community" of Dufilho. 
I bet it was a flag stop. 
  
See the cracks in the cement. Looking back toward Opelousas, below.
  
 I went back east a bit because I saw a road named Sugar Mill. 
I'd check it out as it would bring me back to 357.
  
You don't get more pastoral.
   
The next road was tempting but it went away from the tracks. I'll never find it again.  
I was now running with 357 toward Lewisburg. The raised rail bed is very visible, and in fact, I dismounted and stood in the high grass looking down it several times. I looked both ways just in case.  
Nearby, I saw this place. This older couple was out cleaning the yard and burning the twigs and such in a small fire. I guess they were celebrating Fall even if it was in the 80's. Simple pleasures. In a curve above La.358 and Lewisburg was this old gas pump which identified the concrete slab as a filling station.  
Its back was on the railroad. I'm wondering if it was a Canal or Spur type station whose supply came by rail?
  
After Lewisburg, I really went into an uncharted area. Again, I would have never explored there unless led by the railroad. They are great teachers along with bayous and rivers. More between Lewisburg and Church Point later. For the last 2 days I've been teleconferencing with the highest authorities concerning a nine mile stretch of railroad that dropped below Rayne and turned due west to intersect with Crowley. I was dealing with only a drawn depiction of this route from a 105 year old document. I had no idea how far it had dropped and if it even penetrated into southern Crowley. That story is for the next article. On the last page we were near the settlement of Lewisburg. The station and warehouse there are unbelievable relics. I wasn't going to post a picture because it's been shown here many times and it makes me sad to see it slipping away. I know, I'm so sentimental.
   
 I was now at La.358, I decided to go west. I've done this route a million times and felt my interest drained. I stopped my westward trek at La. 35 and turned south thinking I'd ride it to the last highway before you slide into the coastal marsh. Then I saw a road turning back east that interested me. Of course that brought me back to the "rails".
  
On the last page I promised that this one would have some "old rail ties in a ditch" pictures. 
I am not one to disappoint.
   
These two locations can be seen as no. 11 and no. 12 on your map (above). 
Come on, did you really look? You must be a die hard rail nut. 
The road that connected them is this one.
  
Yea, and I'll ride down anything to see historical trash. I then ended up here. I was back on La.357 going toward Church Point. If there hadn't been a sign and I didn't have a GPS, I would have gone the wrong way and not be here, today. Maybe it was La. 178? I really haven't a clue.  
Oops, wrong way, here ya go.
  
Next up was this Smithsonian level relic. You think I'm being sarcastic? 
Have you seen the junk they collect?
  
I entered Church Point. The rail route through town is a scenic one. The businesses are well kept and clean. These historic buildings religiously retain their railroad days look . First stop was this construction supply company at the end of a dead end road. The road was public but I knew I was going to get approached. True enough, when I turned around to leave, an obvious worker and a person looking "management" waited for me in the road. I pulled up to them and stopped. The management guy said that his employee had said I was taking pictures of his place of business and he wondered why. I turned the wheel of the bike so he could see the GPS with the old rails showing next to his store. I told him I collected pictures of businesses that were serviced by railroads, mostly historic railroads. I have learned not to mention "website" or "internet". "Pictures" are accepted technology. Tourist are welcomed. Bill Gates isn't. They both laughed as if relieved I was not with some agency or worse. I now realize they were laughing at me, wondering what kind of nut just fell off the tree. He told me that indeed he'd unloaded many a box car. I asked him about what date the tracks were pulled up but he couldn't place the date and seemed be tiring of the moment. I told them thanks and they could rest assured I was not with the CIA which brought a hardy laugh. Here's his place. No, honestly I should have gotten the loading side that was next to the tracks and I'll just let it go. The next two exhibit that feature. First, here's the old Texas & Pacific/ Opelousas, Gulf and North East route through town. The old elevated warning signals are still in place on the main drag (La.35) right in front of the depot.  
You see how neat!. Next up is the depot.
  
  
Sliding out of town I took a couple of shots of interesting places. 
One was probably a hometown landmark, the Ideal Garage.
  
And you know there had to be a fuel depot, "bulk plant".
  
I rode down to Branch. I decided to call the rail hunt off as below Branch the rails ride the side of the road all the way to Rayne and there's nothing more of interest and besides, I'd been workin' on the railroad, All the live long day.

Edit: It seems at this point I was losing it. I'd continue posting lyrics for some reason.
I'll separate them so you can easily come back to them later.
 I'd been workin' on the railroad, Just to pass the time away. Don't you hear the whistle blowing? Rise up so early in the morn. Don't you hear the captain shouting "Dinah, blow your horn?" Dinah, won't you blow, Dinah, won't you blow, Dinah, won't you blow your horn? Dinah, won't you blow, Dinah, won't you blow, Dinah, won't you blow your horn? Someone's in the kitchen with Dinah. Someone's in the kitchen, I know. Someone's in the kitchen with Dinah Strumming on the old banjo. Fee, fie, fiddle-e-i-o. Fee, fie, fiddle-e-i-o-o-o-o. Fee, fie, fiddle-e-i-o. Strumming on the old banjo. 

I took off on the next pretty road east. 
  
Yea! It's La.1101. Actually, it's as straight as an arrow after the sign thing. Which let me look up.  
No doubt it was "Led Zeppelin On Tour".

Wait, we have to sing "Communication Breakdown" as it's this site's anthem. 

Hey, girl, stop what you're doin! 
Hey, girl, youll drive me to ruin.
 I don't know what it is that I like about you,
 But I like it a lot. 
Won't let me hold you, 
Let me feel your lovin charms. 
Communication breakdown, 
It's always the same, 
I'm having a nervous breakdown, 
Drive me insane! 
Hey, girl, I got something I think you ought to know. 
Hey, babe, I wanna tell you that I love you so. 
I wanna hold you in my arms,  
I'm never gonna let you go, 
cause I like your charms. 

Then the burning field had to be photographed.
   

Edit:  I guess I'd lost it.
The Who:
 "I don't care about pollution, I'm an air-conditioned gypsy 
When I'm mobile, the world's my home....",

or Or: "Sugar, Sugar" by The Archies. 

Have a great Monday humming that one. 
Forget humming, write down the lyrics and bring them to work
Make copies and everyone can sing along.

Kick out the jam on a Monday morning. 
We use to have singalongs at the bike shop. 
But, that was usually late in the day. 
I don't believe we ever sang "Sugar Sugar"? 

But, we can here:
Sugar, ah honey honey You are my candy girl And you've got me wanting you. Honey, ah sugar sugar You are my candy girl And you've got me wanting you. I just can't believe the loveliness of loving you (I just can't believe it's true) I just can't believe the one to love this feeling to. (I just can't believe it's true) Ah sugar, ah honey honey You are my candy girl And you've got me wanting you. Ah honey, ah sugar sugar You are my candy girl And you've got me wanting you. When I kissed you, girl, I knew how sweet a kiss could be (I know how sweet a kiss can be) Like the summer sunshine pour your sweetness over me (Pour your sweetness over me) Sugar, pour a little sugar on it honey, Pour a little sugar on it baby I'm gonna make your life so sweet, yeah yeah yeah Pour a little sugar on it oh yeah Pour a little sugar on it honey, Pour a little sugar on it baby I'm gonna make your life so sweet, yeah yeah yeah Pour a little sugar on it honey, Ah sugar, ah honey honey You are my candy girl And you've got me wanting you. Oh honey, honey, sugar sugar .. You are my candy girl .. 

That's it.

In the next section,  we'll visit Rayne. 

Raynedrops keep fallin' on my head And just like the guy whose feet are too big for his bed Nothin' seems to fit Those Raynedrops are fallin' on my head, they keep fallin' So I just did me some talkin' to the sun And I said I didn't like the way he got things done Sleepin' on the job Those Raynedrops are fallin' on my head, they keep fallin' But there's one thing I know The blues they send to meet me won't defeat me It won't be long till happiness steps up to greet me Raynedrops keep fallin' on my head But that doesn't mean my eyes will soon be turnin' red Cryin's not for me 'Cause I'm never gonna stop the Rayne by complainin' Because I'm free Nothin's worryin' me [trumpet] It won't be long till happiness steps up to greet me Raynedrops keep fallin' on my head But that doesn't mean my eyes will soon be turnin' red Cryin's not for me 'Cause I'm never gonna stop the rain by complainin' Because I'm free Nothin's worryin' me 

By B.J. Thomas.
He wrote this whole report so blame him.