Done 2 HH Seeking the SP: New Orleans to Morgan City 9

There will be no "{}" used on this page due to all the words here are mine except for a few from Mark and a few from Michael Duane. A correction also has to be made. Mike said, "By the way, my name is Michael Duane with a "u".
Like Duane Allman, Duane Eddy.
No "w".
That's like Dwayne Hickman. Dobie Gillis".
Sorry, Mike. I was thinking about Dwayne Fontenot. Some people you can't forget.

Speaking of.....

Mark just wrote and said he agreed with me about Morgan City being a beautiful place. He did add, "once you get away from all the oilfield junk" left from years of occupancy. I lived in an older, but far from the oldest areas in New Orleans. In the old downtown and neighborhood part of MC, I had the feeling I was back in New Orleans. There is even a seafood and snow cone place that was once owned by some Italians from NO. This young couple has it now and are preserving it. It's on Railroad Street east of the docks. I gotta show you this place. Go there. The store is New Orleans, 1958. I'll testify to that. I almost asked if they had any sliced ham scraps, free, or giant red hots, 5c, both regular treats where I stopped in as a 10 year old.

















I didn't write anything due to the fact that you either get it
or you don't. I'm sure there are those who can put the old New
Orleans feeling into prose, but I can't. Like an old buddy
of mine, Mike, says, "It was a magical place".

Continued at the bottom of the page...
INSIDE:

Poseidon, God of the Sea. Also a great New Orleans Mardi
Gras parade if it still runs. I think the crews were forced
to be "equal opportunity" and that smacked of government
control which some simply said, again, "kiss our butt if
we can't have a private club".



Louisiana: Have a Bite



We ain't no damn Saints Fans.
I can imagine the scene in this place at the end of the Superbowl.







And Stuff.



Oh, do you wonder what that picture is?
That's what you call a Louisiana Work Around.
When government tries to reign us in, we slip the bit
and away we go. One drink policy? Sure. Make it 4 gallons.
And, "kiss my butt".



That's just one place down by the tracks. The waterfront is blocks long
with all kinds of businesses there. It reminds me of Decatur in the Quarter.
The seawall is on one side. It's a working port and a vibrant area. This is the district
that was once famous for its rough bars and rowdiness, shrimper and oilman
enjoying each others company. Then the shrimpers learned that the shrimp
liked to be around the rigs. At least the movie went that way.



1912

















Post Office



City Hall





Downtown looking toward the railroad.



Below, looking into downtown from the port's sea walled gates.
They will be closed this weekend due to the river being "up".
I'll bring pictures back next week.



The new bridge looms high in the sky and reminds all that
this is a big river town.



And that parking is sometimes tough.



The water tower marks City Hall.



1938 Shrimp Boats Are a Comin'.



Continued from above.

............................................................He also feels that after
1960 it changed and by 1980, NO was no longer very special.
You can't have cancers like New Orleans did and call it special.
Harsh as it sounds, the flood was NO's last chance to clean up.
The scum politicians sure did miss their supporters and did
everything to get them to return to the welfare projects, slums
and gang hideouts, but those people got set up by the federal government
in new digs. Y'all in Houston, Dallas and Atlanta enjoying our
expatriates? I told you all that dark stuff to emphasis how
great it was to be taken back to 1958 by the old neighborhood
store in Morgan City, and how much I resent the fact that I can't
go back to my neighborhood because it is still a dangerous area.
That's PC code for a place that is so racially prejudiced that
a white person would not dare step in. We left Gentilly in '59,
2 blocks ahead of the "wave". The scourge from Central America
and Mexico were already there. One stole my radio. What are
you going to let them steal from you? You better rail against
the Democrats in November. They want those 12 million illegals' votes
to seal the deal for their vision of what real power can bring them.

More looking around MC later and then over to Berwick
for something that's still "special" and a grinner to
a few. These days you have to hunt. Sometimes, like at
the old store and the historical part of Morgan City,
you bag a few.