This One is Really Bad


Google has changed up a lot of how the blog works.  It makes up its mind like a Union Pacific route director.  Since it uploaded my picture in reverse, this ride is going to be backwards. I was thinking about requiring a mirror to read it, but that would have been over the line like claiming responsibility for some great deed when all I did, in reality, was to get out of the way where those truly responsible  could take care of business.  I'm ending this ride report at Mark's place.
Hint: It makes no sense scrolling down.
It may still make no sense scrolling  up, but try it.
Do both and average them.

I rode around in the field a little.
This ride has  been spurred by his story of an illusive UP 550 and a lumber car whose destination was unknown.
The model number is on the engine. GP38-2. 
If I made a mistake on this one, take me to court.
GMTX  2102
They were switching at Statesmen St, Opelousas, La.
I had come from the main line between Opelousas
and Port Barre. 
 Mile Post 592 is at Opelousas East.

                There I saw this cable embedded in a tree.
Lafitte is said to have put it there.
I had come from AKDN RR's shop. 4106 was parked after a hard day.
A large transformer or some other large piece of 
machinery removed from a heavy duty rail car.
I was testing my camera on this wheat field. The rails at Port Barre are in the distance.
This is taken  from  the east where I saw 550 working at Port Barre.
The Little Teche crossing is at Mile Post 597.   This is very important to those listening to train radio.
Again here is 550 working in PB.
Looking into the PB Yard.
I had found 550 in the Port Barre Yard.
I had sat at the 103 crossing, Port Barre Yard.  A man in a red shirt approached. I paid him no mind and let the scene as quietly as I had come.

A rail checking car passed by.
This is the west switch at Port Barre
I went into the yard (by camera zoom) and clearly identified the 
engine as the mysterious 550.

550 at the Port Barre Yard. 
I had left the AKDN shop.
East of PB, this train went east.

This train was on the main line east of Port Barre.
At Statesman I'd scoped Union Pacific 4667 by changing angles many times.
102 was one of AKDN's 2 original engines.
Anyone need a project?
This is a faded Southern Pacific engine.  Very sad.
That is taking emasculation to new lows.
From Guidry St. I shot the abandoned sewage treatment 
plant which sat next to the the Southern Pacific's rails.

To the left are the cooling tower's of Louisiana's first  
nuclear powered electrical plant.
Radiation has killed the adorning vines.
Children act strangely in the surrounding neighborhoods.
I have yet to identify this engine.
At the Statesman St. yard. I spied one ugly engine.

It had a Mary Kay decal on the rear window.
This will be later explained.
Later in the day, this was the scene at the crane operation, N.Railroad Ave.
4106 is seen here with tanker cars at Louana Oil. (vegetable oil)
Still early in the day.
Early  in the  day, Railroad Ave.
A crane was working unloading a large piece of machinery 
from a heavy duty rail car.


Early in the day, 4106 was working at Louana Oil.
 A National Geographic Magazine  marker was found  at Port Barre.
I actually found a scenic view from the rest area.
I left home and ended up on US 190.  Going down US 90 was was unacceptable.
Above is what happened after that.
Seriously,   I  think it is time to hang it up.