End CTC

This was a momentous outing featuring a hidden place with a likewise hidden access path.
There were lessons learned concerning chase technique. There will have to be adjustments.

Those are just a few of the reasons why I'm writing it up and not
simply sending it as an email to  my few adoring audiencia.  
First picture .. one two, no this is not going to crash into Jumping Jack Flash.
You'd have to have seen the Stones' movie "Shine" to understand what I just wrote.
I speak to just a few at times to be purposely exclusionary. 
I learned that when I joined  several groups.
Alright, in the vernacular of the railroading world, "Here we go".
Arriving in Lafayette, two L&D tugs were exiting the old Alexandria Branch rails.
You don't see this very often because only Baker Brick is serviced from those rails.
They once went all the way to Cheneyville, La. on US 71.
This was a big deal to me so I've devoted a few shots to the process.
 
 She moved toward the Lafayette yard, then came 
south toward New Iberia.





 At the west switch of the Lafayette Yard, a sleeping Norfolk Southern giant sat.
I had noticed pipe from New Iberia on board many of its cars.
I have learned not to waste time, become a target  or sweat waiting on an engine  to light up.
I have a radio and I can hear when they are ready to move. I  had business to attend to
west of Lafayette, down US 90.
Next,  I was  in Crowley, here commemorated, yet again, by  the depot's picture.
This was the location of the S&P/Louisiana Western depot.
 A mini tug was moving cars about at Louisiana Rice Mill.

 I visited with my old buddy, "Mz AKDN Tiger".
I guess she still has a job. I didn't ask.
There were cars in the old Missouri Pacific yard, so I suppose all is about the same.

 I tried walking one of the tracks that led to the 
main line through the hobo jungle,  but it was too much of a mess to follow.
There was a pronounced incline to the mainline.
 At Midland, a tool car sat. I think it takes part in the  installation process.
 A Herzog Rail Testing vehicle sat at Midland.
You can knock yourself learning about Herzog by checking these links.
 I rode west of Midland on the Old Spanish Trail which is gravel and secluded from US 90 by
the elevated railroad track.  I have a favorite place for train watching next to a rice field canal.


 With a little lightening, this will be a good one.

 A crawfish pond is on the other side of the road.


 Between Crowley and Jennings,  US 90 has to 
loop south because of Bayou Plaquemine Brule
and the Mermentau Basin.
The railroad does likewise.
This is the bend back north headed into Jennings.
This is looking east toward the Mermentau Bridge.
 I stopped at the Jennings Depot (rip)
I'd be back later and make a poor decision.
 West of Jennings, one of the major bridges was not open. 
A huge detour would be needed for the common traveler.
I took another route.   No, not by boat.
 There is a very good gravel road that parallels I-10.
 This is Bayou Grand Marais.
The dysfunctional bridge on US 90 is over this large waterway.

 
 I came to Farm Supply Road, also gravel, and crossed over 1-10 headed back to US 90.

 The rails lay ahead.
 It had taken 10 miles to go 4. Those not opting for I-10, like me, would have 
much farther to travel.
 You have to go to Welch. It is one very nice little town. I can't say enough about it.
This was my newest find. It's a lift pump (for rice?) store that has been in business
since 1895.
And, it's rail nut friendly.
 At Lacassine, the location of the boondoggle sugar refinery, was this fine specimen of a train 
sitting  in the company yard. 
The  incline to the main line is where the derailment took place, you know,
the one I reported a while back.
 The place is large.
 This looks like one of the Lafayette BNSF Yard tugs.
 OK, let me confess.
This was my ultimate target.
I have scoured Iowa, La. for a place to catch the Sunset Limited Passenger Train crossing
Iowa Junction's historic cross tracks.
Hearing "Iowa Junction" on Train Radio  spawned a couple of intense History Hunts which
 you can find on that blog.
I have never been able to get close to this historic place.  I still wasn't close, but closer.
 Getting to my viewing point involve seeing a road that wasn't there to the untrained eye. (pun)
I saw a sign saying, "No Dumping" and thought, "There must be a road if a sign is there". 
 Indeed there was a small limestone road that went to the tracks. The place was protected from the threatening weather and would be from the sun on a hot day.  I suppose you could barbecue there if you wanted. Heck it even had an outhouse though which was for ladies and
 which was for  men  is not clear. Knock first. Both stalls were in use when I was there and the occupants were both quiet.  I could hear a fan going so there mush have been some required
 exhausting to take care of.  I had to settle on the usual, a tree.
 The original cross track was down there. You can see the abandoned railroad's bed.
To the left is north. The rails go  to Alexandria following US 65. 
To the right, south, is the abandoned  railroad  which went to south Lake Charles. 
Reading the history of the railroaders and Lake Charles was captivating.  So is my effort.
In fact, you may feel like you are in jail.
    I wanted to see my favorite passenger train cross the ghost X tracks.
 I wonder what that is down where the old X track was? Surely it is gone. 
There sure is something across the rails.
Below, you can see "whatever" at the old crossing. Oh, it's a rail crossing, mystery solved.
The old bed is now a road, to some degree.
 US  65 is to the left.
Left (west) is to Los Angeles.
Right (east) is to New Orleans.
North is to Alexandria, La.
South went to south Lake Charles.
 This means something to someone somewhere.
Mark has identified TWC !! CLICK HERE

 Now you can get an idea of how far away I was.
 Yes, I was setting up for another "Trains Under Bridges" addition, also.
 Time for a little anticipation.
 I eyed that signal. It would make a great train stand.
 The conversation between the UP dispatcher and  the Amtrak conductor got very clear.
 Sweet 16 was flying by.


End of CTC

 I gathered myself and got onto the Interstate.  I did 70 but the traffic in Jennings, 
between the highway and the depot, was too slow.  I waited at the depot, 
but she was long gone, but maybe not that long gone if I hadn't waited.
Hesitation does not work in train chasing. Lesson Learned.
Whether this replaces, "Be Patient", I don't know.
Both may rely on "good judgement" which is a wandering variable.

In Crowley, the black NS train from that morning came rumbling through, 
a nail in the coffin of catching the Sunset. It was carrying pipe from New Iberia.
The depot foundation is in the foreground.
In Duson, it was close.   How do these people get licensed to drive?
At least he backed up in time.
Lucky idiot.



In Lafayette, the L&D tug that had been seen on the "Alex" 
was now sitting on an even more famous branch, the "BR".
Soon after, I was sitting at the Evangeline Thruway and Mudd Ave. light.
This guy in the red shirt crossed Mudd screaming in horror. 
The woman in blue had a 18 inch piece of pipe and was chasing, 
to the best of her ability,
the fella in red.
I couldn't figure out whether he was her son or a "man on the run". Then she came toward me.  The light changed and I woke up.