Ride to the Army's Camp Claiborne Big Pictures

The DL's 6 year old battery gave up the ghost and is now officially junk. No fear, Mz Guzzi yelled at me from the back of the garage, something about "you fool" as she saved the day again. Whoa, this was my birthday ride. I had just gone through my collection of outings from the very old Geocities site and had found a "Birthday Ride" which was taken with Mz Guzzi. The timing was spooky. What is spookier, is that we, without intention, I repeated the outing. I have just realized that the old ride was her birthday, just turning 30K on her odometer, but also was very close to my birthday which was probably 30K on the Aztec calendar. She sure looks better than I do. I had to say that or the chorus would be emailing me while they giggled in their mother's basements while she brought them cookies and milk. Here are a few shots of MzG in 2005. Don't laugh, that off road helmet is not only cool, but keeps the sun off my face. You don't stand up at speed or that bill will rip you off the bike or break you neck, whichever you prefer. I had set the table for lunch.

  

She's never been one to complain. (excuse me while I get over this choking spell)



 

Italian woman. Need I say more?

  

 Now on to this birthday ride.
They all start off a little strange. I started recording this one at the Strange Cemetery.

 

 
 
  
 Piny woods cemeteries are different. Maybe it's the pioneer aspect and the respect you have for these folks who were tougher than nails. The American flag in the first shot says a lot. Strange Road is a thing of beauty. The many new residents there obviously see that, also.

  

 It comes out on US 165 very near the entrance to old Camp Claiborne. I figure it was time to revisit.



 

Some group has been spiffing up the place. A new plaque was just the start. A new sign followed.


  

 If I can read it, you can, or zoom your browser, that works.
  

 OK: I'm going to make sure you can read this. Alvin York and Omar Bradley are extremely important people in our history. Our children will never hear their names in our schools. They will, however, endure a month of Black History. Something needs to be tweaked.





  

Whoever seems to be getting a driving tour ready. This is great.


 

The 1940's roads are still perfect, well, almost.
It was time to go to Big Cut


  

 I've explained my head off and can't do it anymore. Don't go fast here.



 

 Or you will feel like we did when that blimp started falling.

  
Next. I wanted to show Al what Senior El and his band of merry men, and women? had accomplished. I knew where the end of the line was. There, correctly identified by Al, was an old log car. Normally, finding stuff like this in the woods would be a little weird, but not at Long Leaf. This stuff is everywhere and ready to visit. One more plug, go to the Southern Forest Heritage Museum. Senior has just told me that "Area 51" will be the theme of this year's Halloween Party. Now isn't that strange timing and a little strange.




  
Isn't this amazing.
  

 looked down at the rails from an angle.The spike was not centered. and there was one on the other side and that they were offset.
  



   



After leaving the museum I took the fast track home.
  

 South of Ville Platte, I stopped at an old landmark store.
  

 It was the Kind Edward Cigar supplier for the entire area. What will the KEC people do now?



 

Will the house be next to go?

  

 It was being carefully dismantled to save the wood for some other purpose.

  

This is one of my old shots. I have one looking inside with merchandise still on the racks, but I can't find it.