Amtrak: Racing The Sunset

I checked the Amtrak site and indeed the westbound Sunset Limited had left the New Orleans station, made it over the Huey P. and was on its way to Schriever, it's first scheduled stop.  Meeting it at the Wax Lake Outlet bridge would have required leaving when it did, about 9:00 or 9:30 at the latest. Then it would be a real race to see who would get to the bridge first. 

It was 10:10. I hadn't a chance.  I have learned to have faith and live with what is dealt.  I would not disobey speed limits. But I would be consistent using the train's edge. I'd immolate. To make up for traffic and lights I'd be quick every time I had a chance. 
"Quick" is legally achieved distance on steroids.

I was headed south and quickly hit the Cade and New Iberia hot spots for any activity. 
The approach of an Amtrak means that all the other trains are in the staring position waiting for her passage.
If the Amtrak pursuit failed, there might be a Plan B.

At Cade  I was gaining confidence because the MOW fellas were not running for cover.


 At La.88, they were telling jokes.


 Entering New Iberia, L&D was using the main line to build a train. Groovy, no sweat.


 Baldwin was still but I wasn't . I headed to the four lane. 
The radio was coming alive. I was getting the dispatcher talking to the train but could not hear the conductor.
That was a good thing. 
The fact that a warrant was being given from Bayou Sale to Patout Jct. might not be too bad.
Usually they are given a few miles in advance so I thought I had a shot.
 I  might be able to make it to Bayou Sale. 
I was a little too ambitious.
{A blur at Baldwin}


 Coming off the four lane at the first Franklin exit, the conductor's voice was strong and clear.
The train was right on top of me. I headed straight for the tracks, crossed them and pulled over.
The light was coming fast.
The gates closed behind me.







 I immediately jumped on the bike and hauled it before the gate
could come up and allow cars to block my way.
I turned west on old US 90 (La.182) and made for the Baldwin Bridge as fast as the law would allow.
I was clear of Franklin and an empty road lay ahead.
I heard the bridge keeper and the conductor exchanging  pleasantries.
Could I catch the train on the old Charenton Canal Bridge? 
 I was in the right lane, the train was below me on the left.
I was steering the bike with one hand headed up a bridge into traffic while
 holding a small camera with my other hand as high as I could
trying to get the shot over the railing enough to catch a moving train below.
It was a busy few minutes.
The first try failed.
Of course I had no way of knowing. 
I just kept pressing the button as fast as I could.


This is the one. Click it.



 An inch more in elevation would have nailed them.
I'll get a pillow to sit on next time.
Maybe I should stand on the seat?



Next, I thought, "Why not try Penn Road"?
The Penn Road crossing is a few miles west of Baldwin and at the end of the Baldwin siding.
Exiting Baldwin, I saw no train on my left. 
Turning off of La.182 onto Penn Road,  yes, 
I nailed it. Possibly laws were broken?
I stopped short of the crossing, got the big camera out and aimed.






 Bouquets and rose petals were thrown from the train.
Obviously the young maidens appreciated my effort.


Back on the bike  I  made haste to the I-49 service road.
 I worked New Iberia beautifully turning on Julia St. and 
coming up south of the depot.
The train was gone.
I'd take my usual route as QUICKLY as possible.
L&D was still working the north yard.


At Broussard I got up on the four lane again.
I concentrated on being consistent and QUICK.
Still there was time at the stop lights to catch another L&D at Elks.
This train was headed south back to Baldwin.



 I hustled.  The end was in site.
Could I achieve the impossible?


At Lafayette it was time to get it one more time.
 I had heard no radio between the train and dispatcher.
I got off the thruway at Pinnhook and came up behind the station.
She was there.
I spent no time and quickly made my way to the beginning of the big turn west.
It is where the Alex Branch had left the Sunset Main and headed north to Alexandria.
I like historic places.
I sat at the corner of US 90 / Cameron St. and Monroe.


Sitting on my bike, feeling like I'd just beaten California Chrome, the Triple Crown Winner,
 I raised my camera.
The shots would  not excel photographically and in fact,  they are mundanely punk, but they are my trophies.



You don't beat Amtak over a long distance, even when she has a long depot stop,
at least not over the distance we traveled.
The saying "You can't beat a train," did not originate as a AC ad.

She has out distanced me by five miles chasing her from Lafayette to Iowa Junction.
I've made it a rule not to chase her. It is useless.
Then I heard grumblings from the cab, something about tired legs.
Really?




See the noses on the windows. 
Y'all try harder, now. Maybe next time. What, you need,  4000  more horsepower?