Mount Everest

Trying to think of a title for this one I went from "the serious" to "not very serious".
Then after surveying the pictures,  "Mount Everest " popped into my mind.

This one was a mundane ride from the house down to New Iberia,
then up into Lafayette and Pinhook Rd. traffic.
Escaping that, I went by the rail yard, then decided to run up to Opelousas.
There I'd go by the AKDN  RR offices and see what they were doing  or not.
Then, thinking, " while you are up here stupid ... why not go to Ville Platte ...?

Still "Mt. Everest escapes"  you?
No, it has nothing to do with topography.

Picture time.

It was Friday morning and Mz Utah was preparing for her Saturday foree' to
Lafayette where she'd drop off some and pick some up.

 

 I thought about heading to Abbeville but blew that off since I've done that ride before, following a train and
 pretty much returning with it. I could see no use in trying to improve upon that achievement.

So, since I was gathering pictures and information on the end of life 1500 class, Louisiana & Delta RR
engines, I decided to go by the shop for a morbid moment. Have you ever encountered a "funeral crasher"?

I felt like one.

Loyal 1502, the Baldwin, La. tug, sat quietly, her eyes blinded, covered with plywood.



 "Trucks" (wheel assemblies), of a fallen sister, sat to her rear.
A generator (or they could be alternators) or two sat behind the trucks.



 1503 lay open, her guts exposed.

 

 

1504, aka, Mz Patout, was likewise blinded.  I suppose that is to prevent panic
.
 

 I left, totally bummed out and really not wanting to continue.
Their situation was relate-able. I'll not relate because I really don't want to put you where I was.
Possibly, I have already?
I drug myself out of New Iberia and ran Old 90 north to Broussard where I hopped on the four lane.
Two thirds of the way to Lafayette I started feeling antsy about stuff. When that happens I rip myself from
my course in an attempt to avoid a feared destination.

That put me in horrible Pinhook Rd traffic and though I feared that, the original fear was gone and I was
more relaxed.
I went by the Yard and there was nothing going on.
I headed to Scott.
Mike, this is where Beau lived. It was a peeling white at that time.
I remember Mick and I sitting around with him and Mickey listening to Van Morrison,  his newest discovery.

"Do your very best to stay alive, honey", is a line that lives from that time. Beau died as a drunk crashed into
him at a filling station in Austin.  He'd like the colors.



 My low state was not improved. I have no idea why I came this way.

I headed  up the country, finally finding some above the Lafayette Parish line.



Seeing all that grass and what it took to maintain it, did give me a grin because it wasn't mine to mow.



These tunnels are common on the back roads. Fence lines are  not cleaned and trees grow up in them, then
bridge the road. The shade is a merciful escape.  Chasing birds down them  is a kick because there is no exit
for them to gain altitude. Then they bomb you with lime white blinding goo.
Score one for the birds.
The bigger the bird, the bigger the bombs.

 

 Seeing the silos brought me back to a place.  There are always two.



 

 I dropped in on the ghost town of Lewisburg.



The Opelousas, Gulf & North Eastern Railroad had come through here.
After 1915, the Texas & Pacific RR rode those rails.
The branch spanned the distance between Melville and Crowley.
It was a "big deal", locally. The railroad retained the "OG" nickname.
The OGNE went out of business 101 years ago.
I talked to an old man in Opelousas that called the Union Pacific main line, "the OG",
because if it was a railroad in Opelousas, it was the "OG".

The "OG" nickname will probably pass with his generation.

 

 The Texas & Pacific remains in the ghost town of Lewisburg.



 There was a huge freight depot there with a small waiting room attached to the south end.

 

A door was open on the north end. Why didn't I explore it?
I know the real reason but will not admit it to you. You'd call me a wimp if you knew.

 

 

 A door was at the end. It called. I ran.

I headed up the line to Opelousas.

At the Track Works shop, next to the Acadiana Railway Offices my mood sored to .... yes ...
"Mt. Everest heights".   Of course, the mission of a story teller is to exaggerate, but still, instead of  something
dying of being destroyed, something was being saved and recreated. The doors hid the name of the fortunate
"Railway".   And what is that winged engine behind it? I've seen that design.

My bet is that this one is going to be for "AKDN". They have never tried to have their engines the same
color. For that, I applaud them.  I'm leaving L&D fold because the paint scheme is just boring.

But, I will be a follower of Mz Utah until her dying day.



Perennials remain.



Canadian "newcomers".





Mz Seveen 0'One, the very faithful old tug, hopefully, is in for a tuneup.



Another hanger out.



Track Works is a fun place to visit. If something goes down here, it lives on in something else.
Hopefully the old girls at L&D will contribute and not be completely  melted down.



I headed for Ville Platte following the old Texas & Pacific, now AKDN RR line.
AKDN services a large Union Tank Car facility there. These oil carrying cars are idol.
Union Tank seemed idol, also.

 

My favorite AKDN engine along with Mz Seveen'. is the Gateway Western. Its number matches its horsepower. It pulls long lines of tank cars to Bunkie topping off at 25 mph. Racing this train can be frustrating. Invision the hare and turtle.  It was dark and I was in Bunkie at the completion of my attendance.
Riding home on a cooling summer's night ain't all bad. The aromas and chilled air of the low dips are some of
motorcycling's secrets. There are others.

Seeing "The Gateway" still at work was inspiring. Another "Everest" moment.

 

It was Friday afternoon before Labor Day. I'll bet the boss let the crews off early.



 I headed south to Grand Prairie.



The old barn was not faring too well.

I dropped into Washington.



The trees bridged, this time on a "big road".

  

 I was headed out of town, but caught something and decided to go back.
When I turned I as at the park.
I decided to go in and see if what I guessed was true.

NO!!! I was high again.

The little Cajun cottage remains.
The weight station at the mill was still there, too, as well as the plumbing station.
The shed was gone.
At least I think this was the cabin I went in. There may have been another one.
One remains, that is good.



At Port Barre a train was rolling down the tracks.
My wife asked me if I thought about stuff when I was out riding.
I told her that I didn't, I was too busy staying alive and that is mostly true, except for moments when I'm
stopped or in a very quiet area. The thinking coming later as I look at the pictures ....
and try to figure out a damn title for these things. "Mt. Everest" was pretty weak, but "catchy".