The Southern Pacific Railroad> The Bayou Division

Fatigue has caused me to abandon this project prematurely.

It was to be a masterpiece.

It is not.
The work to make it so would have been a complete waste of time equivalent to throwing hard earned money into the air. I've done enough of that literally and figuratively.
This is unfinished and will probably remain so.

Nevertheless what I have copied and posted could be a great addition to anyone as interested in the Southern Pacific Railroad in South Louisiana as I was.
This is what I had assembled before I pulled the plug.

These are pictures of the actual article's text done with screen shot software. I have cut the article up and rearranged it to conform to my interest, the actual routes that I enjoyed following. Following old railroad routes takes you places. Having places to be taken to while riding my bike is half the fun. Researching where I was taken by what is the other half. Being presented with explanations like the one below is icing on the cake. His discussion of the engines, called "power" in the world of RR speak, was removed. It may be added later if requested (lols). Posting what I have done clears my desk for now. Clearing my desk puts me back on my bike. Here we go:

1932: The Huey P.Long Bridge was being built.
The Avondale Ferry was still in operation. 




Below is an excerpt from a Federal Writers Project tour of New Orleans. I have listed a link to a write I did on the New Orleans railroads. That can be found down the page.
Continuing:

I'll interject a little about the Huey P.Long Bridge:
 



At this point I've decided that adding pictures and comments is my time wasted.
Most of what I would add has been well covered in my articles listed below.
It's up to you:

His article continues:

Exploring  the Branches 1926


1935

Baton Rouge Branch


The SwampersThe last portion of The Swampers covers some of the BR. This covers a bit of the Baton Rouge Branch across the Atchafalaya Basin.  The Basin CrossingAlexandria Branch
Lafayette to Alexandria

The above route is covered in these articles: The Boeuf Valley SP   Washington, La. Barbreck on the Southern Pacific
 DeRidder Branch - Lake Charles to DeRidder (Louisiana & Pacific) is covered in this one:
The Red Sand Hill Railroads of West La.Also of Interest are the Iowa Junction Group Southwest of Iowa Junction 
Lake Charles Rail History
 

 The above is covered here, Abbeville to Eunice Houma Branch - Schriever to Houma





The Lake Arthur Branch is covered here:  Lake Arthur Branch to Mallard Junction Cade to Port Barre Leonville Branch - Breaux Bridge, Leonville, Point Barre  Port Barre History  Lock Port Branch - Raceland Junction to Lock Port  Raceland Junction to Valentine Thibodaux to Valentine  Napleonville Branch - Thibodaux Junction to Napoleonville Up the Lafourche Valley Salt Mine Branch - I & V Junction to Salt Mine  Avery Island  Branch South Bend Branch - Bayou Sale to South Bend Later: Bayou Sale to North Bend The Ride to Gordy (South Bend) Youngsville Branch - Davids to Milton Franklin & Abbeville The Franklin and Abbeville caseFranklin and Abbeville RRWeeks Island Branch - F & A Junction, Cypemort, Weeks Island Richland Crossing
 The Patoutville Spur is covered here:
Raccoon RailsThe Franklin and Abbeville RR is covered Here. The Baldwin to Weeks Island Branch is covered here: SP Richland Crossing Weeks Is. Branch Some Franklin and Abbeville RR is covered  here: The Weeks Island Branch and the Pesson Branch The SP, Cade to Port Barre is covered here: Cade to Port  BarreEunice to Mamou: This was just updated with a lot of pictures. And: There are literally hundreds of rides where these branches are mentioned. You can find them on History Hunts (here) & History Hunts and Chasing Trains.(601 published)

 His article continues:
 

That's it. I may do one more. I have been presented with a number of photos taken by the noted photographer, L.Z. Foteaulot of New Iberia and other places. Many deal with the SP.  That may come later if we can figure out how to..... My empty tank has prohibited me from doing that here and now.