The C&P Recon Ride p6

I went west to the old main drag and got the obligatory Vernon Parish Courthouse, 1910, picture.





Leesville is not a recent happening.

The Police Jury building was down the way. Do we still have Police Juries? Google "Napoleonic Code".



I was and am so proud of myself. I was headed out of town and I was really tired. Then I remembered seeing an old railroad structure on the north side of town on one of my trips. I needed to investigate. I u-turned and headed back through town. Leesville is not so bad when you get use to the 15 lights on 171.

I went under the train overpass and blew off that shot since I have one.
I was right.



I had to stop, pull out the water and Dr. Pepper and stoke my box before pushing on. After I'd replaced my helmet I crammed 2 granola bars in past the front bar into my mouth. Feeling physically rejuvenated, I went on down to the station across the grass on the bike. Was I getting wild and crazy!!! The heat will set you free. The station was from Benson, DeSoto Parish, La.

This was evidently going to be a little tourist area. It's all for sale.



I had to pull the vine away from the name to make it out.





Here's the little store. I don't know if it's old or a replica?



I got gas at the adjoining Shell station, then headed south on 171 back through town. Seeing the old house, I had to get a picture. It was huge and, it was being restored.







I cleared town and was on the south 4 lane when I saw the old store. Not yet having enough "old", I u-turned at New Llano. I was overcome by stuff and had to leave.





I turned east on La.10 which runs on the side of For Polk. The traffic was heavy as it was 5 pm, but it was all coming at me and I had an open road ahead. It got cold and the sky darkened. It stayed that way until Ville Platte and never rained. I threaded the needle the whole way enjoying all the benefits of the weather but none of the rock and roll which is associated with severe temperature changes. Not a drop. It never got over 75 degrees. The bank clock in VP registered 75, and VP felt warm to me. I'm still shaking my head over that one. That's it. Bye.

A Mr.Clark left a nice note in the Guest Book. He remarked that he liked the history aspect of my rides. That reminded me to put a link to the old C&P ride to Camp Claiborne. Those places I mentioned in this one are in that write. CLICK HERE to go there.