Plaquemine and Back p3

Possibly I should not be writing right now since I have so much on my mind, but it's 2:10 and not the time for uncivilized activity.

continued from page 2:

Finally done with Maringouin, I exited on La.77 bound for Rosedale riding along Bayou Grosse Tete, another beautiful waterway where man has not abused it. Feeling the last barrage of railroad stuff might have been overkill, I stopped and shot this steel building. Notice the sugarcane harvester (yellow) to its side.



Next was West Oak Lane.

I found nothing there but the obscure rear view of this plantation, one of my favorites. This picture was taken on an earlier ride.



And this green pool. I considered a swim.



La.77 is as good as it gets for countryside riding.



Next, an all important map if swimming is on your mind.



I rode through Rosedale. Rosedale has a lot going on. I ended the ride here and that will be covered then. We have a ways to go.

I crossed under I-10 into what is considered the Village of Grosse Tete.
I'm posting both old and new maps as I had done for Maringuoin. sp?

Here's the Grosse Tete map. This is where I met up my co-historians.



And the present day mundane map. Notice something missing? You do get the street names with it to make it easier to get around.



After turning away from the bayou into "downtown" Gross Tete, Gene's Hardware is about it for historical buildings. "Scardino Building, 1932" is the on the front. Sounds like a name out of Godfather II.



And here's the trestle guiding the train to the wilderness.



Now for the story line.

I came into Grosse Tete and went down the east bank thinking I'd get a picture of the trestle. Then I remembered I had one. I came back to the bridge and crossed over into down town. I saw what you see on the old map and headed for the rails along that long side street. There I first saw the Trio. Actually, I'd seen them leaving the yard back at Lottie/Levonia.



They moved out. Had this been the location of the station? I figured I'd never know.



I moved on down 77 a little and saw the sanitation workers on the side of the road. One fellow had a gray beard. I pegged him for knowing stuff. He did and he had a chorus agreeing with him. The street where the depot had been was one block from where we were. I went down the dead end expecting nothing as they had warned me. I parked for a shot. Here they came. They must have stopped to throw the switch, giving me time to set up.





Then I quickly panned to the left.









I returned to my advisers, cheering as I passed. The only regret was that I was too slow to catch the Trio crossing the trestle. But, I can't complain.

Next is a map that will keep you hanging on. Notice the rails crossing the swamp. Notice the yellow track line meeting it. Yes, it was a moment. Stay tuned. More below.



The road down Bayou Grosse Tete is pretty interesting if you realize your surroundings.

I crossed the bayou headed toward Plaquemine along Plaquemine Bayou. I needed gas and this was the only available station. It seemed that all the stations were now government owned, like in Mexico, and this was the price I'd have to pay. A 10 ounce Coke was 5 bucks. The manager pulled me to the side explaining that cameras were everywhere and he feared Big Brother. He said that it was all linked to "Cap and Trade", the plan where Al Gore and the Democratic cronies were positioned to make millions and had. Why don't you ask Senator Landrieu how she feels? She's a kiss butt Pelosi / Obama loyalist whose vote is for the party and not her state. I'll continue after a while when I can escape reality one more time. Much more later.

CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEXT PAGE