Plaquemine and Back p7



Seems I'd been in Morley. That explains Al coming down the canal. He said his cousin, Hernando DeSoto, Jr., lived there. I'm sorry, some of you don't know Al's full name It's C. Alfonso DeLaSalle. Yes, he's related to that LaSalle. Let's not discuss what the "C." is for.

I crossed back across La.1 and headed to the river. My next target were the locks on the Mississippi River, but I'd explore Brusly and Antonio, first.

There's your church Ray.



And the tree at the end of the parking lot with the levee behind it.



A local home.





This is the first historical marker I've found with different subjects on the same marker. This was on the other side:



This is a house that was right down the street. How could I miss its historical marker?



Another HM near there.



Up on the levee was a "levee rider". This was a rare sighting as levee riding has all but ceased except where it is the only route, like on La.15.



Next was a pretty place. Again the Levert name is seen.







The road turned back toward La.1. I took this chance to hop on the levee myself, just for a few shots of the I-10 Mississippi River Bridge.





The La. Capital is the tall building behind the bridge. It is the tallest in the US.

The next pictures are of the second rail bridge across the Port Allen Canal, just west of the locks.

The one at Morley seems to be its twin.






A few of the locks.





I left passing an old farm or plantation. It had seen better times.



I rode into Port Allen and whoa, I found the depot.



The old building was surrounded to the point of almost being indistinguishable.





Next was a look at the caboose.





There was a broken window I stuck the camera through.



And a desk.



I then took the back way to Rosedale. West of Rosedale I stopped when the rail crossing lit up. This idiot in a pickup truck passed me and ran the warning lights. The train was moving. It had come from Lottie. It was short and fast.





'

It was there quickly. I counted one two three. I also considered turning around and heading back to Morley to meet it coming out of the forest. That seems like a doable deal. That's it.