The C&P Recon Ride p3

We are now going to hunker down and getter done.

Spring Creek crossing is off of Richmond Road. Richmond road runs east into Richmond Cutoff Rd. I feel sure that Richmond Cutoff Rd is the C&P. Look at this road and imagine it as rails. I know I'm dead on with this one. Don't fuss about the road sign, I could have named it "Steve Road". I obviously have the power.









At the end of Richmond Cutoff is Boy Scout Rd. Right across BS is 259.

Great memories of the Claiborne Multipurpose Trails came crashing back.
The operative word there is "crashing".




The old C&P runs directly into National Forest Road 259. The tracks crossed Boy Scout Rd and continue on 259 until it arcs south. There is a 2 rut road that continues. Take it and you'll be at Big Cut. The route continues after the C&P jumps the Red River and Gulf at Big Cut. That fill on the east side is extremely interesting. It is high above the surroundings. I have taken my Rv through there. That is not suggested as the fill is eroding. From there the line proceeds into the bowels of Camp Claiborne. I turned north on Boy Scout and made a loop north and then west back to Richmond Rd, ready to continue west on the C&P.




"50" and "49" are RR&G crossings. I headed back to S 21 on East River Road. I went north. I turned west off East River onto Glass, which had been named Clarence Edwards. I had a chance to intersect the right of way.





I found it. But, there was a gate. I would have traveled on but you never know how reactive people can be. The guy that lives down there might have been robbed recently. He may have shinny mean dogs. The possibilities can have an end. Yours.

BTW. I found the other end of this section. The gate was down on the other end and I could have ridden it. I might one day. It would offer a woo woo opportunity. That's when you can ride a right of way and pretend you are a train and go woo woo. Don't knock it until you try it.

Glass Road was gorgeous. Look, I use these various rabbits, old railroads, bayous, and road numbers as a way to explore places I'd never think to go. It works. Choose your rabbits.



I returned to E. River and pulled into the settlement of Calcasieu.
The old store marks the crossroads.



Next, I left down Strothers Crossing Rd.

The crossing location is a neighborhood beach. Local women with their kids showed up while I was shooting. They were neutral and ignored me. I not having Al with me to handle social amenities, remained neutral, also.



Could this have been left from 1945?



This is an arm of the Calcacieu River. There are many.

I also like bridges, another rabbit. Could it have been the C&P crossing?










If not a rail bridge, then I bet it was built by those guys.
I rode back up the road to take a picture of the other end of the road with the gate. This one had a gate also, no signs. I'll be back as this stretch crosses another arm of the Calcasieu.



I next tuned northwest on La.112, turning southwest o Padgette Road and then northwest on Farmer Cutoff Rd. Then Merchant Rd. This was a vague passage. Nevertheless, the railroad's path was still evident. S18, 17, 16, 15, 14 gave it up.









I reached La.121. Ahead was Army Stuff.



It looks the right era? I'd seen another one on the J&E route. Could the Army had a garage sale?

Next was LaCamp. I saw the historical maker and thought it might commemorate the old railroad. The "Golden Spike" finishing the line was struck here.

But, this was about another historical happening.





It's for sale at the church. Ask for Darren.

I was off onto La. 489, north of LaCamp to try to find where this happened.







That's confusing?
CLICK HERE FOR THE NEXT PAGE