The C&P Recon Ride p1

In lieu of an exercise program, I've talked myself into believing that riding my bike will keep me tuned up. I've even let that slide recently, so..... yesterday I decided to do a full workout, impending body and soul frying heat or not.

I've become more invigorated with the old trains that ran the woods between the US 165 and US 171. That has been possible due to the voluminous amounts of information Everett (Southern Forest Heritage Museum, Long Leaf, La.) has given me, Mark's contributions and enthusiasm, and the fact that part of Louisiana is about as prime as it gets for motorcycle riding whether your interest lies in the history, scenery, the road or somewhere in between.

And, I'm not talking just paved roads. The area is webbed with great gravel roads, courtesy of the National Forest Service. A sweet spot lies bordered by those 2 major US highways, La.10 to the south and La.28 to the north. There are others in the state for sure. That's my self-imposed limits for this area. If you bite off too much, you choke. (Yes, I realize that the J&E fell bellow La.10, and others are widely spread, so please don't write, Jethro)

This is going to be a general description of the ride which will not include the in depth shots of believed Claiborne and Polk Military Railroad right of ways though some will be shown which capture more than that facet of the shot. I told Al I was cutting his previously slandered "woodsy" shots and he fired back that he now wanted them, so, well, you pick your fights with Al and that will not be one of them.

First, some old business. I found this shot in my camera. I'd either taken it on purpose or the camera auto fired. I find it poignant, but I don't know why. The spike was in my pocket as I sat down to review the Cottonport Depot Ride shots. It is from the Mansura KCS/L&A/LN&R depot property. I also find its presence self-reflective and questioning. How could I be walking around with a spike in my pocket? I guess you adjust. I did feel a bit lighter and more comfortable with its absence.



All righty. I was pretty efficient in getting to west Opelousas. Exiting town on US 190 I saw this fairly mundane old building on the north side. What got my attention was its old timey facade. I think I've seen a similar one over on Bayou LaFourche, on the east side of the Basin. I asked a local contributor if he remembered the place. He mentioned meeting his first wife there. I further quizzed him on the names of the band that played there and evidently that was not his focus of the times as he remembered none. He just wrote back that he remembered Johnny Allen. I think one of his bands was band was "Johnny Allen and the Memories", a great Swamp Pop artist. Record List Click Here Biography Click Here



You may be able to see the remaining fluorescent lights, "Southern Club". South Louisiana and East Texas, especially Beaumont, were dotted with such Swamp Pop venues. Often these places doubled as cock fighting arenas, a truly fowl addiction. Jay's Lounge in Cankton was one that doubled up. Bless Jay's, but it had a dark side.






He did add these notes for posterity with a time frame (his bar hopping era) . It follows:

"Bea's [a bar he'd mentioned] was catty- corner from that boudin place [old Southern Pacific crossing on what is now La.182, just south of Opelousas], and what is now Teche electric supply.

There was also a who-- house across from the airport, it was hidden in the trees, maybe that was the 2 story brick one?" [I had mentioned a two story building I thought was a big restaurant or bar or......]

I had to dash that word, who--. In doing so I presented a question. I'm sure we'd be surprised, or not, at the answers to "who" among our notables who frequented who-- houses here in Southwest Louisiana.

[Cat Doucet, the long ago sheriff of St.Landry parish was linked to a house of ill repute, if my memory serves me. The mention of a who-- house should not link the mentioner to actually being associated with the mentioned establishment, he or I. So, take us off your who list.]

The mentioner goes on:

"There was also Raphaels across from Soileau's Restaurant on the Washington Road. I really didn't barhop much in those days".

[Maybe late 80's to mid 90's which seems late in the century for those places to still be open, but I guess they were? Tradition dies slowly here in SWLA.]

Back to me: So you thought this was going to be about choo choos and wandering the woods? Well, it is, but I like to get your attention first. By the way, the hook for reading all of this is a pretty intense look at Leesville at the end of the ride, but you'll need to completely ingest the first pages to find the key to opening that one. That's just my way of sharing the suspense and or drudgery that accompanies these things.

Yes, it is time for a new page. ClickHere.