The C&P Recon Ride p5

I parked the bike at the crossing. I think I was getting a little woozy as my give a dam' was gone. I'd just parked in the middle of the road. What were they going to do, run over me? This was a great place for me to cop an attitude since there was no traffic. I think I was still hot over the "Road Out" experience. I'm getting one of those orange cones and put "Road Closed" on it and park anywhere. No traffic will be allowed to pass me. I know, that's brilliant. Glad to share.

Good shot, huh?



Thank you, but this one is better. That's where I was headed.



Well?

Here's looking down 3rd Street which looks like the old main drag.



Oops, maybe this one is a little better.



The next one is looking north. If you are going to do it, do it all.



A map would make things easier for me, so I'll put one. Click it, it gets bigger.



A brief explanation. The yellow line is an old railroad coming into Leesville. I think it's a branch of the C&P, though it shouldn't be. I would think the C&P ended at Camp Polk, but the yellow line hooks up to the dashes I followed from Claiborne with a brief break in the line. So, who knows? It ain't going to make me crazy. That's been done. The weighpoints marked Y1 and Y2 represent where a wye met the main line. The following businesses were on that wye. It also marks where the mystery railroad connected.





Then I saw this building. I didn't know if I could uncover it enough for a shot. Then I wanted to go inside, but it had "signs" and I decided not to.





It was the real deal railroad building, maybe an old depot or railroad warehouse. I think it was connected to the railroad that left Leesville going east. I know it was. That may make me mo crazy.



This is the tank that was next to it. Was it for water???
I don't think it was high enough for what I wanted it for.



But it might have been for oil.

I returned to the main line and surveyed the depot and nearby buildings from the east side.

Was that a dog trot?



Yes, it's all a part of the museum that is the depot property now.
The next building is another old depot. I didn't see it as such then, being delierious.



Then the Leesville Depot:



As I rode south, I saw this huge old warehouse.



I can't quite figure the rail set up here. There is this very large open space which says "yard" or "business" or something to me. I think you can say for sure the green building had a siding next to those doors.

Past it was this little building, still moving south, paralleling the tracks. It had great roof vents. Everyone and everything needs a compliment from time to time.



"That pipe is connected to the haunting mystery which may push me over the edge", Edgar Allen Poe.

Then a real surprise, engines with KCS on their sides. I thought the Kansas City Southern had been eaten. With them were CN engines, urg. I got a thing about Canada. I had some Canadian jerk come up to me in a campground and start wailing in on President Bush. I almost hit him. I guess I could have taught him a lesson about being a guest in a foreign country, and now I wish I had. "Never pass up an opportunity to achieve a little justice", my new motto. Maybe I should stay away from train yards?



I was now on the west side of the tracks. Here's the south end of the Leesville Depot.



Backing off a bit:



And, at the north end of the station was this cracked bell surely a copy of the Liberty Bell, but I couldn't be sure. There's the museum's sign and you can barely see "Leesville" on the station sign. My framing was getting sloppy. I'm sure that's not all.



Here's the other side of the "little station":



The Dogtrot:



And adjoining facilities:



Some other little house. I'll call it a crew house. I know there's a RR name for it, but I forgot.



Then there was the China Grove Church and School:



China Grove seems to be a common name in the woods. Why?

Across the street was Fertitta Brothers, 1915.





Oops, got too many pictures on this page, a sign I'm wearing out.
We have one more left. CLICK HERE to go there.