Lumber Mills> Basile> Part 2

In the last episode of "Researching Basile" I'd hit a brick wall in expanding my knowledge of the St.Maurice and Kern mills near or at Basile Louisiana on US 190, between Eunice and Elton, La. That link will open in a new window. I'd also his hit a brick wall in caring about the brick wall.  I am not an academic but more a "big picture" person.  Being at a place where  a historical event took place is much more important to me than reading the  intricacies of that occurrence.   For sure the "big picture" cannot come into focus without a spark of information. Often times a spark is all that there is. Such was the case at Basile. "Basile -- St. Maurice Lumber Co., 50M. Logging railroad, 4 1/2 mi." That was all the web had to offer until I spent hours on feeding Mz Google one term after another. The only thing she spit back was the name "Kern" in a few old clippings from early 20th Century lumber industry rags. I'd ride  up there and either hit a gold mine or close the books on this one. Basile is a "fur" distance from where I live. It once wasn't but time makes  more difficult what was once easy. To combat the fatigue of such elongating distances I have to stay interested in what is along the way. With such an approach, the trail to any gold mine passes many little silver mines. Some pan out, some don't.

Enough literary rambling. It's  time to hit the road. I was almost presenting exactly what I had rebelled against, too much talk and not enough action. My usual route from BB is to head up the Teche to its beginnings, Port Barre, where there is a small rail yard. Yards on a mainline can often render a photograph or two to the normal railroad photographer.  Implication implied. My next move is usually to the west and Opelousas, the home of the Acadiana Railroad and a location of  S&I Locomotive Services. Opelousas is also a very historic town, once the capital of Louisiana during the  Civil War. I'd go by one of the historic railroad oriented buildings which in all my visits I'd never photographed from the north side. Of course my first feeling was that those door had to be for boxcar access. This picture probably disproves that in that the exterior roof supports wold not allow a lateral approach. They are for trucks. This place was right across the street from the Missouri Pacific depot property now used by Union Pacific. The depot was moved to a historical park on the east side of town.  It has been saved, but unfortunately, not faithfully.



I then went AKDN engine hunting, well, by my standards it was early. 1503 was busy at Louana Oil. (edible cooking oil) Thursday is the most active day, it seems for AKDN, as the engine from Eunice makes its  run down to Crowley and the rice mill, also. I almost forgot. Little 1500 also makes its run from Ville Platte to Bunkie. What a scenic ride that is.


From Opelousas I moved west to Eunice to see if the AKDN engine had made that run down to Crowley. It had, but there was work going on near the yard that is that branch's terminus. Old ties were being loaded into a gondola. At least I think that was the movement. With AKDN I might have gotten the movement reversed.

The remnants of the burned out bridge were still there while I'm sure a recycle plan was being formulated.


West of Eunice the rails leave US 190, but I will not be denied.
I hit most of the crossings in their remote locations.
This is looking back toward the location of the Bayou Des Cannes trestle west of Eunice.


It's up behind a golf course and I've been unable to access it.


Picture A: This would be the next location looking west.


Looking south.


Looking north. We are out on what is officially  called the Southwest Plains of Louisiana.


 This is the tool for the job.



 An old researching axiom goes like this, "If nothing is happening ... photograph the water tower"

.

I was quickly near Basile.
Basile is north of the US highway. Its center was bypassed by the new road, US 190.
Elton and Kinder were not. There is a story there hinted at by my future host.


This was taken form the crossing seen above looking east. Perhaps the turn is the one seen above labelled "Picture A".


Hum, no mile marker.


This is looking west into Basile. The rice mill or only dryer complex is along the tracks. That is not a sidetrack for the "mill", but one that extended into Basile near the old depot location.
This is where the cars were when I first  heard Basile mentioned (Part 1).


City fathers certainly assist us snoopers.
I was at the depot.


It is a small park now.  A children's playground is across the street.
This is the Cajun Musician's Museum.
Hum?


The raised concrete slab was either the depot's foundation or a loading platform or freight depot and platform.  I reflect on the raised cement platforms at Tangipahoa, Kentwood and Crowley as my knowledge base.


I should have looked closer, but this is a small community and I'm a cop magnet. I was not in the mood 
to deal with some bored local with a badge.


Basile features itself as the Swine Capital of Louisiana and the home of some of Cajun Music's greats.
A few murals celebrate both. Oh, the guy with the cone hat on is all about Cajun Mardi Gras 
tradition out here on these plains.


This is the McCain founded church mentioned in the last edition. The Methodist sign is gone. It is now
occupied by the Catholic Knight's of Columbus.


This is the house next to the church. Any historical linkage is speculative.


And, another mini mural. Those are accordions on the two sides. with triangles and fiddles.


A service station and home combo,  possibly, was across the street.
In reality, it looks more like a shop was attached though combos of homes and stations and homes and country stores were very common.


This was a creek (yes a creek) that was crossed by the railroad in town. I could not pass up the shot.


I'd done my duty looking around Basile. 
It was getting late and I had to get out to where the mill might have been.
I stopped at what I would learn was Wilburton Crossing, Wilburton, La.
This shot is west toward where I figured the mill  had been.


A fella had sent me here when I asked about an old lumber mill.
A car was leaving. It was obviously a visitor so I figured the owner 
must be up and about. I'd do what I worry about, heading into private property.


I pulled down the road and immediately stopped the bike when I saw a gentleman approaching.
I dismounted and walked toward him to save him the long trip. Dismounting is a form of subservience.
It makes you less of a threat. It works, and take off that helmet. 
He looked to be about my age.
He asked if I was lost. 
I replied that I was not and figured I was right on course.
He smiled and asked what he could do for me.
Oh boy. Did he ask for a can of worms.
I told him what I was looking for and he beamed.
He was a born again tour director.
I had hit a gold mine. 
But, it would turn out that he was only the opening of the shaft.
The mother load vein would come later.
He took me here down by the railroad tracks and explained that a lumber business, to what extent he did not know, had existed here. Where we were standing was the location of the office. Across the tracks, down and up these stairs was Putnam Hill, the "big house" of the property. 
Let's look around.


I tried to be and appear  attentive as he gave the tour. Below are the steps going down and up on the other side.  More heavy cement would be seen soon.


 From this spot, a look down the tracks was in order.


To interrupt, a passing freight came flying by.
Could it get any better?
That is the Bayou Nezpique Bridge ahead.
He explained that logs were "floated" down the bayou to the mill.
Then, what about the company railroad? 
Those questions will be answered in Part III. I'll explain in a minute.


Having passed, it was time to look at the office. These were the steps.


That would have to wait.
My host wanted to take me across the tracks to where the big house had been.
We were on or at Putnam Hill.
The little engine was intriguing.
The "mother load" of which I spoke is here.
But, I can't go any further  until next week when another guide will be available.


We went back to the office.
A huge old safe laid on the ground.


There were these ramps nearby.
I'm saying the ramps were for the safe though he didn't.


Then we started talking about the old road that came through Basile and continued across the 
bayou north of the railroad and the extended bridge which it used. I went looking for it on the other side of the bayou but, didn't I know it, a hunting club had it blocked off.
Possibly my next guide can open that gate.
I returned to Eunice. AKDN 701 had made it home safely.



I wandered down La.358, a road I  have explored at length.
Sadly, I found that Stagecoach Road would no longer work as the bridge is gone.
It is a field access road which will preserve it.


Rice


I made my way to McVeigh Road which crosses the old Southern Pacific between Bayou Fusilier Rd
and La.31, midway between Cecelia and Arnaudville. The sun was setting and the world was turning red.


This is the old church on the banks of the Teche.
People were working cleaning up the grounds.

There could be no more picturesque cemetery.

This one is across the road.


But, this is the centerpiece, fittingly, "at the end of the road".
A shadow of a motorcyclist extends into it.
Poignant, LOL's
Oh well, ya could end up in worse places among worse people.


That's it with one more shot on a different subject. Ok, Mark, this is the SP ROW along Grand Point Road (La.347) east of BB.
More better maybe today.
Stay tuned for Part III. It will be a great one.