The Lafayette Depot 6/1/11

Not knowing how to create popups on this blog, I'll have
to first physically shove this new water color painting to the
forefront. I have not determined a price yet. The KCS
engine was seen on the above date at the Lafayette BNSF Yard.
To say the least, it seemed odd to me. Now, understanding
the trading about that railroad companies do, thanks to an
insider information source, I was able to avoid a fainting spell,
though the heat alone could have spawned such an event.



The next offering before we get started is this rail slice.
Not everyone has one. It would look great on your wall.
Price, likewise undetermined as of yet. No, Rufus, you
don't get my screwdriver with it.



Now that we are finished with the required ads, let's get
on with the show. But, first, again, let me explain the circumstances
and environment. My granddaughter, age 10, and I had
been chasing trains all morning in my un air-conditioned
Cheech and Chong bomb, Juanita. Then we retired back to the
house to refortify with lunch and fluids. After cooling down,
we hit the road back to Lafayette singing railroad songs en route.
Since I ran out about half way there, we made up what was
needed to complete the trip. The effects of the plus 100 F
cabin temperature were evident.

I, trying to be observant of her condition would periodically
ask if she was still excited about going to see the Sunset Limited
stop at the station. She, glowingly responded on every occasion
that she was. Then the sink occurred. I found out that she
can go from 100% to 20% excited in a heartbeat. About 15
minutes before the first picture, and about 30 minutes after
arriving at the depot, her positive response flickered. I then
had to go into my spiel about Train Chasing Waiting. I
explained that if you give up, just when you are at the
point of no return, the train will appear. I told her to get
up off the ground, dust herself off and grit her teeth in
true Train Chaser/Waiter, fashion, which she did.

Then the first horn blasts were heard faintly. All the heat
and dust, noise and frustration melted away, as had most
everything else and this is what came up the tracks.

Her eyes got very big as there was nothing between us and it.























Then the DRAMA began. I had the scanner on. The conductor
reported to the engineer, Bob, that there was a problem.
A person in a wheelchair needed to get on board and would not
or could not use the ramp from the unpaved portion of the
depot area. The train would have to be backed up for
her to get on board. Trains can't just back up. There is a procedure
that must be followed. The dispatcher would have to be
contacted, a track warrant approved and written, pronounced
and repeated, the repeat verified and the reverse motion made.
Without pointing fingers, this whole process resulted in
a 45 minute delay at the Lafayette Depot. The conductor
had to stand in the middle of Lee Ave. to make sure that
the train did not move backwards onto a crosser. We were
now on the opposite side of the train from the depot, running out
of water with no cover. I asked the conductor if we could cross
and he refused. So we walked to the front of the train.







There we commiserated with Bob.

At least he was in air conditioning. I asked her if she was
still excited. She seemed to be slipping so I let her talk to
Bob on the scanner. I had her face the engine and I faked
a Bob voice to her questions. That seemed to be reinvigorating
to her and to me. At least if was a momentary retreat from the heat.



Then after the dispatcher had pronounced the track warrant,
Bob had sung it back to him, he had sung it back to Bob and
Bob had assured the dispatcher that it was all correct, and
the dispatcher had assured Bob that he was correct, the
conductor said the lady was on board, all 4 doors were secure
and the train could continue FORWARD. I did detect an air
of consternation between the two.



My granddaughter then asked if we were going straight home.
I asked if she would be excited if we did. She was back up to 100% again.
Children do have a resilience we older folks can admire.

On a sad note, a historic home near the depot caught fire
and is heavily damaged which means one of the last historic
homes visible from the depot will be gone.