***** The 2011 Flood on US 90 W/ RR Pictures

(Picture explanations above the pictures)



I took off for a short ride down into Sugarcane Ally to

intercept the Sunset Limited passenger train roaring west

out of New Orleans. I have a scanner so I can hear when

the crew is given the right of way to proceed on the next

stretch, called warrants. I play this game. I know where

the crossings are, most a fair distance off of La.182, once

US 90. I try to get to one at the last minute as to avoid

standing around. Standing around can be a drag especially

in the heat and within eyesight of concerned citizens. Not

everyone understands my hobby. The map below expands

when clicked. Open it in a new window and put it on the

side. It will be useful in understanding the logistics in the following.


I rode through Jeanerette listening to the Limited's crewman's

voice becoming stronger and clearer. The radio has a short distance

antenna on it so I knew my time was getting short. I cut down DeSonnier

Road at break neck speed flying over the crossing and running

to my ditch. It is my favorite ditch. She had to be doing 60.



The camera went on holiday and I missed the cockpit shot.



Next up was Garden City, the once headquarters of the

cypress lumber mill was getting a do over. I could do a whole

article on this one and may some day.


This was a sad moment. The Garden City Store seems closed.

An octogenarian and her daughter ran the place. It was a

hodgepodge general store and a wonderful place to visit.

The wrecked car may be the story. I had a very down moment.


Riding back east of Garden City, I came to Alice C. Road

that follows the tracks. This is where the sidetrack is located

in the area the dispatcher calls "Bayou Sale".


I went to the bend where you see "Alice C" written near

La.317. That is Yellow Bayou. The Corps has blocked it

so waters from the roaring Wax Lake Outlet of the Atchafalaya

River will not back up and flood La.182, once the main artery

of Sugarcane Alley aka US 90, the OST (Old Spanish Trail)


The Corps' work.


This is the quiet side of Yellow Bayou.


The intimidating flood waters.


The pumping station.


Levee additions going south.


The little levee going north toward La.182 and Old Blue.


The threatened mini refinery.


More peering over the barricade. For the first time, I really

understood the treat was not from the north, but from the south.


Seeing the water, I made the decision to push on to Morgan City.

It's been a commute lately and it is no longer intimidating. I know

the landmarks and they click off quickly. I'd stop at one of my

favorite rail bridges and check out the Wax Lake Outlet. It was

what I expected and then some.


Backing off, that was all dry land down there and a way to

a favorite local fishing spot under the bridge. You can see the

4 wheeler tracks descending.


The water was backing up to the tracks and levee.


I can't pass up this shot ever. If I'd stayed here 5 more minutes

there would have been a BNSF freight in this picture. 
Timing,it's all timing.


A few more perspectives. This from where the 4 wheeler

tracks now dive in.


This is from a little down river when I was leaving.


More additional sandbags.


At US 90 (the 4 lane), my missed train came roaring by.

For my train chaser friends there were two engines, one

an orange one and one a yellow one. (it's a private joke)

Ok, I'm in-explicit in my identification for a purpose. LOL.


The Orange Train


I really do like the yellow ones with "Sante Fe" on them.

North of Sante Fe is beautiful country all the way up into

Colorado. It was hot and I was thinking of that highland area.


At Burwick, I went to my favorite viewing area. I expected this.

Had I come so far to be denied a look at the water? I, for sure,

was not going up on the rails. I felt that in these stressful days

that I just shouldn't do that. It was a feeling that led to an

even better vantage point.


These multiple shots from there.


Shifting down river from the red lighthouse.


The bridge man's office.


Taken from under the US 90 new bridge.


Stepping forward and shooting over to Morgan City.


Back at the bridges. That's the old US 90 bridge in the background.


Again.


More.


Notice the watermark on the wall across the water. Had

the water been up to the dark part before? Is the staining on

the bridge supports telltale?


This is not that clear as it was snatched form a picture.

It seems to be at "8" something. So close to the Gulf, I'd

think that would be 8ft above sea level which is not good

since the land isn't. Or maybe it's 8ft above land level? I

think I was right the first time.


Then I saw Mr. Egret doing a little lackadaisical surfing.

I hope he turns around before the bridge whacks him in

the back of his head.


All of those pictures were taken from up and down this

fine walk. Now you can get the idea of the water MC is

dealing with. Parking is available and a great place to visit anytime.


The gates do a great job, but, there are a few dribbles.


Leaving, I couldn't help but stop here and I'm glad I did.

Just that morning I was reading about John N. Pharr when

I was preparing to do a little ditty on Sorrel, La. and the Sorrel

Plantation Railroad.



After a while, the little pieces of the puzzle start coming together.



And there's his donated property. The Sorrel thing later.


Oh, for the naysayers, here's the proof found way back off of the road.

Yes, it hooked up with the Franklin and Abbeville RR that also went

to Patoutville and Baldwin. (that's speculative, but if you say in an

affirmative voice, they'll believe you, no kidding)


Leaving US 90 on my rapid fire ride home, I stopped to

take in the beauty. US 90 is no battlefield, in fact it is very

relaxed, but it's a slab. You can't beat country roads.

More later.