Avoyelles Parish Transportation History

I've been going through my files.
I have histories handed down through local families and 
I have histories repeated from books.
Sometimes they don't match.
I found this on line in the a book about Avoylles Parish.
I've used it often and worry about it disappearing.
So I copied the part that most interests me:
The railroad. 
It is short and simple, not difficult at all.
What  will be difficult is matching the 
more modern recollections of history to it.
Here we go. It starts slowly and ends slowly.
This is all taken from the History of Avoyelles Parish
by C.L. Saucier, 1943
The name "Goudeau" is reflected in a parish settlement.
The Origins of the Southern Pacific
The facts above are better than a cold slice of blue berry cheese cake.
Morgan City is the namesake of Mr. Morgan.
It was in the 1870's that Mr. Morgan moved his railroad westward from Morgan City.
The Origins of the Texas & Pacific RR.
It run north and south along US 71.
 The old SL, A&SW RC got one thing done.
Now this is all legalese and very vague. 
Was this the eventual owner of the SL, A&SW RC, The Texas and Pacific's key to its Melville bridge?
Let's continue with the book's spiel.
The following is outside of the bounds of Avoyelles Parish, but interesting to some.
I suppose the correlation of dates makes it fit.
Hum, you can always tell when a historian gets fired up.