My 2008 Ride Down to Charenton

To continue my humble attempt at rebuilding what was probably the best website ever devoted to simple back road riding in south Louisiana, here is another one. I'll continue with the reconstruction since it's like rebuilding an old car from your past. Maybe it will catch on and be appreciated at some point.

Here we go:
Again, please excuse the dumb prose, I was young.
I wrote this as if expecting the world to know where Charenton is.
To clear that up, it's by Baldwin. Look north of Baldwin on Bayou Teche.
Some yankee called it "Teche Bayou". They never ask, they just do what they want.
Baldwin is between Jeanerette and Morgan City in what I call "Sugarcane Alley"
which is roughly the area between New Iberia and the Mississippi River.
US 90 is the Ally's Highway.
Actually, this ride was done in an email. I'd already blown up BRR containing 400 outings.
I have a spirited temper.

I'll interject here. I talked to a native of the area. He did not offer much hope for the home.





 I've thought of a bunch of captions for this shot, one dealing with Volvo's safety claims.
Possibly the owner believed all that?

 It really is called "LSU Rd." and that's the "LSU Bridge". Ask anyone.


These old cemeteries have a lot of code going on within them.
"How the tombstone are placed" is an important piece of information.

Of course that is a picture funny.
The stack behind the house is from an old sugarcane mill.
The one below has some important history attached to it or is believed to have.
That was helpful, huh?

 2005 was not a good year in South Louisiana.


 I talked to a lady in front of the church. She clued me in on the history which I now forget.



This was the bar.
 Note, the building was called  "The Charenton Beach".
There is a real "Charenton Beach" across the levee.
In the James Lee Burke movie, "In the Electric Mist", the scene 
at Lt.Dave's bait shop was done there.  Not everyone knows that.










This one is below Loreauville. I need to check on it.


PS, the Missouri Pacific went through Charenton. 
One day an engine failed to stop at the turned bridge and went into the bayou.
Alcohol was suspected.

 One more thing. During the Civil War Battle of Irish Bend, a surrogate of General Banks
landed a force at Indian Bayou in an attempt to flank Taylor and my buddy Capt. Cornay.
It didn't work. They got the Hell out of Dodge.
In the picture below you can see Indian Bayou and the tracks crossing the bayou. 
The pedestal and supports are still there.