All Down the Line Again


I often write as if I am sitting around with friends back in the 60' or early 70's.
They understood anything I said as we were on the "same wave length" or
they were willing to absorb and contemplate in order to tune in.
That's a laugh and it's true, there was a lot of laughing.
Music was a catalyst for our friendships. We were in the midst of a cultural revolution.
"Cultural" is way too saccharine and inadequate. We were in the middle of a sexual,
political and musical revolution.
There were a lot more sub categories of "cultural", but those were the ones of which I was conscious.
A lot of what was happening was driven by indoctrination. Much of the music was, also.
I admired the tunes that dealt with the broad spectrum of human experiences.
Love, hate, joy, depression and adventure into any of those, sung in genres that ranged
from old black blues to country kick ass.
One band held the rainbow pen, The f'n Rolling Stones.
I'm sure some of you agree.
If you disagree, that's fine. I gave up on persuasion a long time ago.
If you missed the bus, it's a shame.
Knowing the music and it's applicability to day to day life is a gift.
I always have a tune to hum or sing that applies to a feeling or situation. 

The other stuff from the "cultural" past was a learning process.
I never felt indoctrination from the Stones like the Beatles or hippie bands tried to pull off
with their bullshit "Peace and Love", and the sweet, "Imagine the World" global communist crap.
The Stones, for the most part, commented on more personal situations.
Sure they ventured into music like "Little Indian Girl", as Che' was 
popular then. They also did some disco, always in moderation , looking in with a grin.
Catch your breath. I know you just spit out your cereal.
Like right now. I bet there's  someone on my case about what I'm saying.
Hey you, "Get off my Cloud".
I remember a kid in English class telling this witch teacher just that.
I grinned for a month. I'm still grinning. 

So, what was that all about?
I needed a title about heading down a road.
No problem there, the Stones, of course, provided.
It's up there with the green background.

Below is one of those writes that got lost along the way.
Most of my ride reports are one shot wonders, never rewritten and bitterly 
ignored as far as fixing the spelling or prose, much like this this introduction.
"All Down the Line" got muddled.
Nothing has changed. I can't fix it so I've added more muddling.
Let's get on down the line. 

Wait  a minute, I'll try persuading  one more time ...
Click Here and you can sing along with the lyrics below.
Just slide the new window to the side.

ALL DOWN THE LINE
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)
Yeah, heard the diesel drumming all down the line.
Oh, heard the wires a humming all down the line.
Yeah, hear the women sighing all down the line.
Oh, hear the children crying all down the line.
(All down the line.) We'll be watching out for trouble, yeah.
(All down the line.) And we'd better keep the motor running, yeah.
(All down the line.) Well, you can't say yes and you can't say no,
Just be right there when the whistle blows.
I need a sanctified girl with a sanctified mind to help me now.
Yeah, all the people singing all down the line.
Mmmm, watch the men all working, working, yeah. (All down the line.)
(All down the line.) We're gonna open up the throttle yeah.
(All down the line.) We're gonna bust another bottle, yeah.
(All down the line.)
I need a shot of salvation, baby, once in a while.
Hear the whistle blowing, hear it for a thousand miles.
(All down the line.) We're gonna open up the throttle, yeah.
All down the line, We're gonna bust another bottle, yeah.
Well you can't say yes, and you can't say no,
Just be right there when the whistle blows.
I need a sanctified mind to help me out right now. 
Be my little baby for a while.
Won't you be my little baby for a while?  

I hit the link and now I'm in the mood to revive this terrible 
old ride report that stole its title from a great song.
Here we go:
 Lets move on. It's a 
rainy Saturday afternoon / Sunday morning.
And, by the way, I was not successful in my sought after divorce from "purpose".
Once becoming interested in anything, "purpose" rears its ugly head and the party is over.
Seriously, I still feel the same way.  Just recently I did US 71 from its
source at US 190. Climbing the tree again reignited my imagination.

I'm going to delete a few passages now since they are a little embarrassing and
redundant. Seems I haven't changed much in that category, either.

Below  is "the line" we're going up.
The Stones didn't choose "All Up the Line"
for a reason and neither will I though, in this case,  it would be directionally correct.
US 71 begins its northern route at US 190 in the middle of the Atchafalaya Basin.
I may list some additional information at the end of this replay, but not now.
You exit US190 and drop off the elevated road onto an embankment
that carries US 71 to higher ground, beyond the first levee which is
near the location of  New Darbonne. where Williams Spur intersects the road.
Some know the significance of that road and the road on the north side of the road.
Read "The Entire History of the Opelousas Gulf and Northeastern RR" for the answer.
Library number "BSXXXoo9"
Evidently I was still consumed with that song. I do linger.
"Metamorphic"? 
 I just reflected in this last editing (Sunday morning) of last night's attempt
at fighting boredom:
It is strange I chose a rail oriented song to do a generic ride report.
I'm hopeless, hopeless hopeless.
Enough reflective blah blah. Let's move on.

I guess we are not out of the "in memoriam" mush yet.

That road take you into an area that had connections to the world by
way of several steamboat routes. The French Acadian Exodus found its way there.

The cotton gin may be gone.

I've recently reflected that she may not have existed and that the J.Giles song,
"Centerfold" may have been closer to the truth. Sorry, Warren,
I know you aren't around to respond, but this is the only way I could get the last laugh
on you.

Too bad, we can only imagine.

Next, it seems I photographed a church.
Their presence is no doubt the reason that "country people" are better people.
Away from the your personal preference mystic teachings, their moral teachings are
the backbone of a successful society.

Oops, the link doesn't work.
Once "Burma Shave" poems lined the roads. We would read them all aloud.
A new one was like finding an egg at Easter time.

I later found the sign and made the egg whole once again.

I cruised into Morrow.
Of course, seeing "junction" was intriguing.
I don't know. I've never tried to figure that out.
Possibly it's only a wine and beer junction.
CCC Road is one of those stretches where you can get that "out back" feeling.
You can Google "CCC" if you want. They were everywhere.
They were what Obama would like, a federal work force, kinda like Government Motors.

Next, can I make a case for reading street signs.
Often they are the index cards of history.
Plucking these index cards has often yielded response.

Mike responded that the property belonged to a dentist which 
"must have pulled a lot of teeth" because he owned a lot of 
local land.
Going north into Bunkie you cross 2 sets of tracks.
This is the north bound arm of the "Y". (wye)
This is the southbound.
Now here's some RR history. I know you've been salivating.
The rails that dipped south from Bunkie were once the La. East-West RR.
It went to Ville Platte.
The fact that they mostly ran north and south didn't seem to worry the owners.
Possibly the La. N-S RR already existed and they snatched up what was available.
Anyway, the Texas and Pacific bought them out and continued the rails to Eunice.
WWII ended the necessity of the VP to Eunice stretch and it was abandoned.
The VP to Bunkie rails are still in use by the AKDN RR out of Opelousas.
 
 As I said: the rails from VillePlatte come into Bunkie.
They Y so that a train can get onto the sidetrack next to the main line to 
deposit its cars.  I followed the train from Ville Platte to Bunkie one 
cold winter afternoon. It was an awesome experience. It finally
arrived at 5pm which was almost dark. The ride home was not enjoyable.
I was frozen and my wife beside herself.
The vision of both of them fussing at me is troubling.
 
 There is more rail evidence coming off the mainline in town.
It is my belief they served the hotel.
How cool would that be, exit your car and enter this fine hotel.
The track cracks went  to the Bailey Hotel.
I know a few crackpots that have been there.



That's a lot less funny these days than it was then.
I have photographed the Bunkie Depot almost as many times as I have the Melville rail bridge.
No, that's a lie. I don't get to Bunkie enough.
The son of the last station master has contacted me.
Dad's name is on the engraved list of "Old Railroaders".
I mention the "tree concept".
That is how I described US 71.  I know, it was a forgetful line.
Bunkie is one of those places with "limbs".

Fred was Al's cousin. Fred got tired of my endless assaults and has disappeared.
Goose bumps?  If not, read some history.

 The two building mentioned below are safe in a museum.
I have been in the old store while it was by the side of US 71.
I left when I heard a knife hit the wall with a thud.
I have never been in a more haunted place and I've been in some doozies.
Back off on the spelling of "weigh point" attacks.
I was having a diet problem at the time and the spelling was subliminal.
Cheneyville was once the proud home of a parish prison.
Even that has moved out. Cheneyville is sadly changing.
Cheneyville was also the point where the Southern Pacific RR,
Alexandria Branch, from Lafayette,  met the Texas and Pacific for a ride into Alex.
Check me on that. I don't believe there were parallel rails, but there could have been.



I may dare say that it was the most spectacular in Louisiana.
Ignore the stuttering below.

So, what is "firing"?  Mike's dad's second job was a steam engine fireman.

"No. You were not".
You get all of the pages here.
I could take a break, too.
Mike's comments.  He was always supportive and threatening.
Now, there's the connection I'd forgotten.
Mike and my old buddy, Steve C. turned out to be cousins.
That came about from the mention of Morrow.
By the way, Morrow's original name was Morrows, the version still used by the railroad.
Could Morrows actually have been Morrow's or more than one Morrow?
He goes on.
{OK, here's the Tooth Ache explanation. I was looking for it during this editing}.
I was close quoting Mike.
"A state of mind".
He nailed it.
I just tried explaining "state of mine", but my words got muddled.
Basically, when you are there you know it because you do.
The term struck me back then, also.
Heck if I didn't do a better job of explaining my take on it then.







General Polk was one of  President Jefferson Davis' closest confidants.
He was known as the "Fighting Bishop".



This is the area the Iron Mountain RR came through on its way
to Eunice. I have a picture of a train crossing the bayou up by the Baptist Church,
mentioned below.
Below is the church that the rails ran by.





For those "basketball ignorant", a  "3 pointer from the corner"
is a 3 point shot from the corner of the court.
The "court" is .... forget it.

"Interloper status"?
I was not "from around there".
You do not stay in small neighborhoods too long.
One of two things will happen.
Either a truly interested person will approach you and ask nicely, "what's up".
or some jerk show off in a wife beater undershirt will come sliding
up in his multicolored '74 pickup and then the fun begins.
I set a mental timer on the back roads.

Actually, I was not at the festival
The old high school is worth the trip, pie or no pie.
Below:
Do not take what is written as presently true.
It was Mike's historic opinion.
That's funny.

The road mentioned below follows Bayou Boeuf.
History is along the bayous, once the trails I followed.
Then I connected railroads with history and a whole
new treasure map was presented to me.









Below is a pit stop picture.
I have a collection of them,  yet to be collectively published.


Get it? "Parishes". I try to lace my writes with a little humor.
Sadly, most of that attempt comes undone.
Above Opelousas.




The state raised the speed limit to 75 here.
The Washington cops now sit under the interstate
monitoring your speed as you exit from the road.
The limit in that turn is 25mph. What worms they are.
Serving and protecting.

More lyrics below? Honest, they are showing up on their own.
They do that in my head, also. Just let me think
of something. Immediately Keith Richard's guitar hits one of those
copyrighted notes.
You know a Stones song  after 4 of them.
Well, maybe you don't.

Follow that advice and your problems will all disappear.
(And run 5 red lights in His honor)
Yes, that's sorta from another Stones song.
It dominoes. Just ask some brown eyed girl
named Sugar.