Another Birthday Ride

First of all, my friend, Mark, high trestle expert
and radio man, is off in the high west putting around somewhat indifferently,
all the time sending great ride reports and beautiful pictures.
I will try to equal his bar setting abilities.
I started the day attempting to photograph the Amtk 
coming out of New Iberia. It had an engine on it with a 
different paint scheme. I think it is one of the specially painted ones 
done for some occasion. I do have a shot of Amtk 64, I think is the number. I'll have to compare.
 This is the prettiest place to shoot between Lafayette and New Iberia,
Old US 90 is on the opposite side of the tracks.
I did catch it, but not well. I couldn't make out the number.
Otherwise, the shot was a failure. I've been firing too soon and
tried to correct that at too far a zoom.
On top of that the auto focus was stolen by a limb.
And an ant bit me.

 I won't post the route, but I abused the DR650 
and raced from New Iberia to Rayne to catch the train going west out of Lafayette. 
I though that the Amtk was out ahead of this train. It wasn't.
I'd missed it.
The old Santa Fe is in need of some TLC.
 But, I'm an optimist and continued to Crowley.
You can see the distance by rail. The way I'd come was further.
OK, subtract 127 from 163.  
That's New Iberia North to Lafayette to midway between Rayne and Crowley.
 The forever taken depot in Crowley is where I sat.
It is falling apart. It was built by the NOT&M, 
later used by the Missouri Pacific which owned the 
route between Crowley and Eunice. That route  was 
almost terminally interrupted by a burnt trestle. 
Betty's shot verifies that it has been fixed restoring the route.
I don't know if AKDN is actually using it now or not.
It does seem that a bunch of money was not to be wasted.
If  the NOT&M is  right, it's about time. If not, I'll never "get it".
I shot a few pictures to remain alert.
This is the floor of the old Southern Pacific/ Louisiana Western station.
This was the truck pick up area.   I like taking train shots from old depot locations, existing or not.
The lights on US 90 were still flashing.
 I left and went back to the cotton gin I'd seen in Ridge, 
10 miles southeast of Crowley.


 Some don't believe cotton was grown deeply into south Louisiana. It's a fact.

Pretty much disillusioned with the day, I headed home.
The Louisiana and Delta train was coming from Breaux Bridge.
It goes through the Vermilion River swamp that lies between
the salt mine and Larabie (the source for fill on the Baton
Rouge branch).
 
 I really like these berries.
 I practiced for the shot.
 I nailed this one.
That's it for tonight.
Have a good one, Steve