Train Chase: Cade

It was 3:30 and Amtrak was late again. I heard her get a track warrant form Bayou Sale to Cade. I jumped on the DR with only my camera and took off. I got to Cade and she was sitting on the side track and what looked like another Amtrak was passing her going south. I may have been hallucinating as I was operating on 3 hours of sleep. But look to her right. Nope, I was wrong.



Above is looking south. I jumped the tracks and got the
next one looking west. That's torn up Old 90 in the foreground.



She started to move and I jumped the tracks again.
Note the road building equipment on La.182. This is the
location of the old Cade Depot, the terminus for the Cade
to Port Barre SP branch. BNSF now has a neat storage
house there that looks like a depot.





I set up and shot the usual.





Flipped around and she took off to Lafayette.









I rode on into New Iberia where Mz Utah sat empty.



I'd head on in and see if anything was happening around the station.



At the depot I saw 2 gray engines headed south. I knew the score.



I needed a scenic, historic backdrop fast. I went to the old Konrico
Rice Mill. Note the light flashing. BTW, note the pavement.
It is where the MP met the SP at one time. They then split just
east of town the MP would pull away and shadow the SP to its south.
In New Iberia, the MP ran in the middle of Pershing street.
A simple map is below.





But here came our train.

Yes, there were 2 KCS engines on the BNSF rails. I think something
is amiss with the KCS rails around Kinder. Any KCS experts out there?





Then I nailed the DR and ran her down.











Satisfied with the whole day, I headed home by way of the
L&D office/ New Iberia Depot. Three of the gals including
a beauty contest winner, Mz Allegheny, were hanging out.



That was short and sweet just what I needed to finish a good day.