Missing St.Martinville Cade to Port Barre, Louisiana

First of all I was misled about the route from Cade to St.Martinville. 
After Mark found an old map that was straightened out. 
The repair was sent out as an email since I'd given up on the blog. 
There is never any feedback here. So I don't care.

The route from Cade to St Martinville roughly paralleled La.92 across the university's farm and then turned north following La.31 into St. Martinville where it went to a wye called St.Martinvile Junction. 
There the train backed into town to the depot which was at Bayou Teche.

On with the ride:
Leaving St.Martinville, headed north to Parks.

Between St.Martinville and Parks, my old software does show the SP route. It didn't from St.Martinville to Cade, the last chapter that was such a mystery and I don't think anyone knows about the route but me and the few residents along its path.

I remember the rails between St.Martinville and Breaux Bridge, and, I might actually remember seeing a train on them. I've lived "out here" since 1975. A friend had a girlfriend that lived near the road that goes to Lake Martin and we crossed the tracks to get to her family's camp. Was her name Loretta, or maybe she was Loretta's cousin or friend? Remembering "Loretta" was a stretch. Dang, I just remembered Loretta's last name. Whew, that was a rush. So was Loretta.

I do get ahead of myself. I'll show the camp's location later. I think there was a golf driving range there for a while? Man, I'm clicking this morning.

First, the all important map:


Points of interest on this map:

Down in St.Marinville was the appropriately named, "St.Martinville Junction". There the trains had to leave the main line and go into town to the depot which was near Bayou Teche. My guess is that the trains backed into town.


The second point of interest moving north is Longfellow Evangeline St.Park. It is a must see. Here's a link: Click Here. The park is much improved since this visit. There is talk of a campground. It is required since there is so much to see.

Next POI is the old bridge at Levert, home of St.John Plantation and Mill. It is one of few still functioning historic mills in Louisiana. This is a rare picture of the bridge still in operating position crossing the bayou. The trains crossed this bridge. The rails connected with the Missouri Pacific rails on the east side, seen in orange. Note the 1895 plaque on the bridge. This one needs preserving, but it continues to rot.


From St.John/Levert, the rails shot north to parks.

The following are the exciting pictures taken from the imaginary engine cab as it entered Parks.


The rails ran right behind what was named, "Wolf's Store", and the Water Dept. building.


I am thinking that the water department building was the train station. I guess I could go in and ask but there are just young people in there and they don't know anything. I am now riding around looking for old people to get information. Pulling a police stop maneuver on a Power Chair is really cool, but dangerous, as the drivers can get feisty and vindictive. What does "whippersnapper" mean?


The little road to the right of the building is the rail bed. The train ran right behind the primary school. Its passing must have been an exciting event for the kids.


Leaving Parks the rails bent westward. (Refer to the top map)


After Parks, the rails continued across what are now sugarcane fields. Probably were then, too.


Here's the 1935 schedule courtesy of E.Lueck, Southern Forest Heritage Museum (SFHM) All schedules seen in this write are from the same source.


I think this list may contain spurs to different businesses. I'll have to ask Everett. Shown is the Levertt (St.Johns) Spur.


The only names I can find on this list are Levert and Gautier. I see no mention of Ruth, which is where another bayou rail crossing was. That bridge is now in the Breaux Bridge City Park, beautifully preserved, but not faithfully restored to its historical condition. Gautier is south of Parks. La Frannier Road marks its location.


This is an old one. It is a piece of a 1935 map also donated by E.L. from SFHM. Al, notice Lake Martin is near where I have written in red, "To Parks". Al left a present in a hollow tree for me one time. It had a complete list of all of his relatives and where they lived, a carved duck, and some electric flashing earrings. We've been good friends ever since. By the way, that is all true.

The rails follow La.31 from St.Martinville and in and out of Breaux Bridge. The rails I have colored red. The section where they cross is near Brick Street. It was also appropriately called "Breaux Bridge Junction". The rails we are following, Cade-Port Barre, go northwest. The ones going northeast went across Bayou Teche, crossed the Atchafalaya Basin, went through Grosse Tete and crossed the Mississippi at Anchorage. That's a whole nuther story. The ones going west are still used and go to Lafayette. I once did a ride following it into Lafayette. I think I blew it up for not being that interesting. I'm sorry I did now, since it takes little to interest me, as you may have noted?

Note to myself: Do all 473 pictures of the BB rail route on the next page. To add to the excitement, I'll tell you that I did stand in the middle of the BB Junction. It was a moment.


I forgot to show you where Loretta's cousin's camp was. Oh well.


My name is Fred, I just work here and Dude: If you expect all of what is below to be correct, you are a gambler. Please do not use Steve's pages as a reference. I probably know your prof and we will have a big laugh at your expense. That's why this is the only job I could find. This is Steve's junk salvaged from a blewn up blog. He said for me to blow up another one but to save this and he'd blow it up personaly. It's like when he built those model airplanes and firecrackered them. Dude's sick. Whatever, here's what's left of his Soutern Pacific write on the Cade to Port Barre branch. Why does he do that?

This part of the SP/Cade to Port Barre ride report would be a pleasure. I could spend 100% of my time on the work of discovery because I would only have a 15 minute ride to and from the area to be investigated. Knowing that advantage, I threw 100% of my effort into the search. Knowing that, I pegged both the time and effort meters to the aforementioned 100% . Prepare yourself for The Southern Pacific: Breaux Bridge. Buckle that helmet.

For those not following along, the Southern Pacific branch began in Cade, and rode their rails south on the main line until it hit a switch and went east on a dedicated branch that would eventually take it to the shores of Bayou Courtableau in Port Barre where the engine would be turned on a manually powered turntable for the return trip. By the way, a complete investigation of Port Barre will follow this edition. This one will be exciting, the next one may be too much to handle for the faint of heart.

Here we go. I hope you are sitting.

I'm having a hard time placing a time period on these different sections. I know some were ripped up before others. I do know that in 1935 it was intact. Let's pretend it's 1935 when the age of steam was in flower and men were men and women were women.

I just found this, "1895: A branch of the Southern Pacific Railroad connects Cade to Port Barre, signaling the end of the Steamboat Era on the upper Teche". So there you go, a starting point in history.

This might interest some while we are dating stuff. This is evidently a list of SP "local" branches as of 1920 compiled by a amateur. Where do I find this stuff? I had to fix some speling so I know hes not a preaux.

LAFAYETTE
June, 1920

New Orleans, Algiers, Raceland Junction, Schriever, Morgan City, Bayou Sale, Baldwin,
New Iberia, Lafayette, Midland, Lake Charles, Echo

Batton Rouge Branch - Lafayette, Breaux Bridge, Anchorage, Batton Rouge

Cheneyville Branch - Lafayette to Cheneyville

DeRidder Branch - Lake Charles to DeRidder

Eunice Branch - Midland, Eunce, Mamou

Gueydon Branch - Midland, Abbeville, I & V Junction, New Iberia

Houma Branch - Schriever to Houma

Lake Arthur Branch - Mallard Junction to Lake Arthur

Leonville Branch - Breaux Bridge, Leonville, Point Barre

Lock Port Branch - Raceland Junction to Lock Port

Napleonville Branch - Thibodaux Junction to Napoleonville

? Branch - Breaux Bridge to Saint Martinville Juction

Saint Martinville Branch - Cade to Saint Martinville Junction to Saint Martinville

Salt Mine Branch - I & V Junction to Salt Mine

South Bend Branch - Bayou Sale to South Bend

Youngsville Branch - Davids to Youngsville

Weeks Island Branch - F & A Junction, Cypemort, Weeks Island

You can see that the Cade to Port Barre Branch was segmented at the time.

Coming from the south, the SP left La.31 to prepare for it's grand entrance into Breaux Bridge.


Here's looking back south from Veteran Drive. The ROW seems to be some perpetual neutral ground. Fine with me, it makes it easy to follow.


Here's looking toward where the station was. A horse lives there now. Taken from Webb Street.


I think this is an appropriate place to post the map, always an exciting moment on a page.


If you click on the map it will get bigger.Open it in a new window to follow along.

On the map you can see (rails in heavy black) that there is a crossing further north. There, two branches of the Southern Pacific crossed. One from Lafayette was headed to Baton Rouge on a very interesting route, straight across the Atchafalaya Basin. It conquered the Basin long before I-10 did. You can still see what is left of the bed from that super slab. The floods of 1927 wiped out the swing bridge at the settlement of Atchafalaya, eventually condemning the route. Atchafalaya was where the Basin Welcome Center is. That story later.

Our route, the Cade-Port Barre continued northeast. I was going to get started on this write earlier but started rummaging around and found some ancient ICC, or other governing body, probably the La.Public Service Commission records. It seems that the SP, then known as Morgan's Louisiana and Texas.... wanted to move the depot down to the cross tracks. That would make sense to me but the people of Breaux Bridge objected. That story below.

You'll have to click on it to expand it. I couldn't copy the text so I took a picture of it. It's all "public domain".


It continues


And continues


And finally a decision: NO!!


You cannot move your depot 300 yards up the tracks. Someone had pull on the commission and it wasn't Morgan.

This is where the depot was:


This is probably what it looked like. This is the Mansura Southern Pacific Depot. Mansura and Breaux Bridge were probably similar in size. It will have to do. I have no picture of the BB Depot. I've been in one exactly like this one. I'll go out on a limb and suggest that the small town depots were pretty much alike.


Just to the south of it I saw these two cement blocks preserved by trees. Careful examinatin reveals that treaded studs were sticking out of the top of the one examined. I suggest that there were at least 2 more which formed a square or rectangle and supported something. I would say it was a water tower or oil tank.


Things are getting ready to get complicated and I think we need another map. They can help.


I feel better. Now we will approach the cross tracks mentioned above. My pulse quickens as it did that day. These are a progression of shots taken at each road that crossed the SP on its way to the X rails.



I aligned myself with the right of way, zoomed toward the junction and saw this. Those rails were on the Cade to Port Barre bed!!!


I know that I promised you the Junction on the last page. This has been too emotional and I must take a break.

I've recoverd, CLICK HERE FOR BB 2

I looked over my shoulder toward where the station had been. I swore I heard a whistle.


Whew. It couldn't be. Here's a refresher map. Click to make it larger.


I was headed toward the cross tracks. Someone had put some shell there to make crossing it easier. Why?


Standing on the cross track, I zoomed in on the old old rail bed ahead. It is still in use as part of the switching arrangement for the petroleum based business which is on the north side of. La.94, Mills Avenue.


In that picture you can see the rails coming at me (south) and veering east toward the old train bridge across Bayou Teche that serviced the Lafayette to Baton Rouge Branch.

If a train had come from Lafayette, it would come from my left (west). It would have to travel toward Berard Street and the old bridge, now not in use, then move backward into the business yard on the rails I just mentioned. How would it get turned around for the return trip? There is no connector coming from the business going to the Lafayette rails.

In this one I was shooting to my left toward Lafayette. The rails are curving north toward the highway and will cross it. Then they will follow the highway and cross the Vermillion bridge at Long Bridge. Next, they make their way to the main line. Louisiana Delta now services Breaux Bridge.


Here the siding crosses La.94 and goes into the business.


Hopping over the curved track and looking toward Lafayette.


Now to look toward the old bridge which was part of the Basin run to Baton Rouge. What a great shot.


Notice the houses along the rails as they head for the bridge.


Here are a series of old shots showing the rails crossing the old bridge.

Looking back toward where I was, across Berard St at the junction.


Here's looking toward Baton Rouge. The rails would pass the Breaux Bridge Sugarcane Mill if it was there at the time. The mill was serviced by the bridge up until the 80's, I'm almost sure. I remember seeing train cars on it. Just recently I saw the old X warning sign lying on the side of the road. I almost picked it up. Should have.


And as they head across Berard (La.31) to Breaux Bridge Junction.


Back at the junction, the next shot is shifted a bit south of looking at the bridge.
I saw what I believed to be another siding. I'm not drawing anything, judge for yourself. It definitely looked like an old rail bed headed toward Berard St.



Could be?

I know this has been tedious. You can't put lipstick on a pig. Yea, you can, but it doesn't help. These last few shots are looking back from where we came, the station area.


One more south shot and that's it. Notice the discarded ties on the right (west).


Al says that every once in a while one stinks. This one stunk and I almost blew it up. But....

I got on my horse late Sunday afternoon and headed for Breaux Bridge. My purpose was to get some pictures of the railroad bridge that crosses the Teche in hopes they would help smooth out this page.

It is so historical. Unfortunately, it is looked down on and referred to in a pretty coarse manner. Some bridges get no respect.


Then I saw the train sitting on the old SP rails. I slid side ways in a rush to get to it before it left. It was parked, turned off and sitting. I could have my way with it.

Immediately, the question of how the train got back to Lafayette was answered. An engine was on both ends. No problem, but it seemed over kill for 2 tank cars.


A side view, almost.


I rode around to where the cross track was for an opposite perspective.


I panned toward the Cade-Port Barre bed to show the trains relationship with the crossroads, which reminds me, the train probably can't be any longer because there is no room to back up before hitting Berard St. The rails deteriorate as they approach the street.


I know some of you want a look at the engines. I've seen 1850 down in New Iberia. And the railroad is the Louisiana Delta, not Acadian as previously stated.


The next one belongs to LD. They don't repaint when they purchase used engines. Too costly. That is real cool since you can trace where the engines come from easily. The railroad has quite a collection.


I next did a big loop out to the salt mine and back in on La.94 into Breaux Bridge. I wanted to get a shot of the old rails at the highway, some looking toward where the old bed was going and some, looking back at where it had come from.

This is looking south. The rails to the right are on the old bed.


This is looking north as the rails cross the highway and skirt the east side of Enterprise's facility.


I zoomed way out to follow the rails. There is a permanent turn installed into the rails directing traffic into Enterprise. The abandoned rails continue north, how far, I can't quite say, but not to the next road where we'll be next time. I have some extra stuff to start that one off with so stay tuned. This has been a rough page but the appearance of the train sure helped it.



Before I get started, I need to explain my diminished enthusiasm. I go out exploring, I find stuff, sometimes stuff that is amazing and then I quickly write it down while my enthusiasm is still cooking. This one has lingered too long and I'm finishing it up as if it were a job that needed completing instead of the pleasure it should be. I'm not going to do them like this anymore. What happens is what almost happened on the last page. It was a boring stinker. If I hadn't gone back and found the train parked, I would have blown it up. It was close. Now, the only reason I'm completing this job is what I found in Port Barre.

Like I always say, I think I'm getting ahead of myself.

On the last page, I had just cleared La.94/Mills Street/The Lafayette Highway/The Breaux Bridge Highway, all the same road.

This route is so old my GPS Topo doesn't show it. The tracks followed La.31, except where the road and Bayou Teche, which it was following, went into a big meander. That big bend is called Grand Point. The town of Cecelia was once known as Grand Point, thus "Grand Point Road" (La.347) in Breaux Bridge. Mentioning that gives me a chance to say that the mustard colored line is the other railroad that followed the Teche, the Missouri Pacific, which like all these other railroads had other names in earlier days, a few we'll learn after arriving in Port Barre, the grand finale' of these rails and ride.

Have you ever been given something that you felt was so valuable you didn't feel qualified to possess it? After leaving Port Barre, I think that's the feeling I had or maybe it was just excitement.

Back to the mustard colored MP line. I have followed it, reported on it, and was very aware of its route, well, up to the end when I couldn't figure out if it went into Port Barre or not. Now, I now understand it and the other 3 railroads that crossed or ended in PB. Sorry, we, just like the old trains, can't move too fast.


This next shot is taken from the first through road, Daugereaux Road, after what is locally known as 4 corners, the intersection of La.31 and La.94. It is looking back to where the existing rails at the Enterprise location end. There was no place to park or I would have hiked to the end of the rails for a shot of where "today" ended and "history" begins. Howz that for drama? We are in what was known as the Gecho-DeClouet communiies, Both had stops.


Next up is Gecko, seen on the map. Was there a station? Here's a cutout from a SP Schedule Page that will keep you on board (Everett again).


We, or course are going from bottom to top or south to north. After Ruth should come Breaux Bridge. Instead, you see "Lafayette" which was a westward option, I believe. Above Breaux Bridge you see Nina, Lenora, Achafalaya River, which were eastward options at the depot right before Breaux Bridge Junction. Next up would be Gecho and De Clouet.

Just follow the power lines. They are right on most of the time. Looking back toward Breaux Bridge.


I'm going to say that this is where the depot was. I can say that.


What I toll you?


At this point, the railroad cuts across the "point" and does not visit Cecelia (Grand Point). I think as late as 1939 the place was called Grand Point?

It's time for Everett's next map. Remember, these maps can be clicked to enlarge.


I want to get up some steam here so there will be few pictures and less explanation. I don't see it on this 1935 schedule, but I have seen McVeigh mentioned on others.

First is the Magnolia Plantation area. The road is called DeClouet Road. it goes around and hooks up with La.354 that brings you back to La.31 The SP crossed this loop. These are pictures of what I guessed was its route. If not, they are pictures of other stuff, grass, trees, what have you. Lately we are being asked to believe a lot. Just add these to your "I Believe" list.


I just checked the schedule and the DeClouet and Gecko stops were only .6 miles apart. Weird. Maybe they were different plantations or there was something between them that separated them, like a swamp?


I had to stand on my bike seat for this one. I overheard,"Dear, there's a man standing on a motorcycle taking pictures of out backyard. I could hear the sirens coming. What would I tell my wife this time? Luckily it was the volunteer fire department on a practice run.



A lot of sport bike riders trudge through all this crap and even write to say what sludge I've imposed upon them and that this surely can't be described as a motorcycle enthusiast's website. I write back and tell them that it's really a search for great opportunities to "get air" over those old railroad humps. They write back and it usually goes like this, "Wow, man, you the dude.[Or, "dude, you the man?] All the time I thought you were just some old weirdo that liked wandering around wasting your time". I thank them for their appreciation and move on. This one's for you, Scott. It's like they are all named Scott or Ned?

For the railroad guys, this is a banked corner. You can ride faster around these. I knowm, banked rails are limited to roller coasters.

I need to add this as heath insurance for the fast and loud group: Pissed off Cajuns have been known to blow "bikers" scaring their dogs and endangering their kids right off their putters. They call it "deer season practice" or something like that . I'm not exactly sure how it goes in French, but when someone says it, they all laugh. I think I've heard "une biche defunt, hahahahahaha" at the end of the bar at the corner of 354 and 31.
I left.


I have this other schedule that mentions what I think are spurs out here or stops. This was evidently a line that embraced the neighborhoods or maybe, the neighborhoods embraced the railroad as a means of travel and crop transport. I'm sure it was a mutual thing.


Next up the line was McVeigh Rd. I've traveled this road a million times. It's a little known shortcut. Turn at one of my favorite country churches.


Here's looking back at the church which is on 31.


Here's what I found and now recognize it for what it was.


This is where the Model A's and T's, horse and wagons, tractors, and all means of transportation had to stop and wait for the train to pass. It is also a place where kids of all ages waved to the train guys and, maybe, looked down the track as it disappeared, thinking, "one day, one day".


Durio Road was next, but to be honest, the picture was worthless. But, researching Durio Road, yes, I do some reseach, I found this. Here's to you Mr. Durio.

"Mr. Durio, a native of Arnaudville, died at 11:20 p.m. Monday, March 9,
1998, at his residence. He was the son of the late Angelas N. Durio and the
former Euphrozine Clay. Mr. Durio had been a resident of Lafayette since 1922 where he was a Car Inspector for Southern Pacific Railroad. He was employed by Southern Pacific for 47 years retiring in 1965".

I'm thinking, "Mr.Durio was a native of Arnaudville and we are just about 2 miles south of that town. It is possible that Durio Road led to or passed through Mr.Durio's family's land. He might have caught the Railroad Fever by seeing the trains come through either here or town." That's what I'm thinking.

Also: He worked for the SP since 1918. Did he commute for four years from Arnaudville? I don't think so. That was a long distance in those days. Still is. That is, of course assuming that he worked in Lafayette. I think he worked in another location before moving to Lafayette. What say you?

The railroad came into Arnaudville like this. Right up Grain Elevator Road to the Bayou Fuselier bridge.



Looking back across the bridge from the other side, here's looking south.


I have a definite Deja Vu thing going on about this stretch. I've written it before, but maybe as an e-mail to the paying customers, who knows? I spent 2 hours looking for it and couldn't find it. I could have written this twice in that time.

I've been tempted to add in some extra stuff here but I will wait until Port Barre is a done deal. Then I can make you read the whole thing again.

I almost forgot to tell the fly by night visitor that he or she is now just south of Arnaudville, Louisiana. "I am? Wow, dude"!

On the last page I showed you the picture of the Bayou Fusilier crossing. So, I don't have to now. Here's a map to get us started. Click it to enlarge.


The Southern Pacific came in from McVeigh, up La.31, remember?. The rails crossed La.93, the Grand Coteau Highway. Then it crossed Bayou Fuselier on what must have been a high trestle. A filled ramp was built to protrude out into the bayou to reduce the length of the bridge, or so it seems the reason would be. There is one on the opposite bank, also. This was a common practice. At least I've seen it often, Gerald.

Next, it crossed Fuselier St. and started its trip along W.Railroad Ave. This location is just to the west of downtown. My map doesn't show it, but I suspect that E.Railroad was a road that was parallel to W.Railroad and the median between the two streets was where the depot was. The map program finally gave up E.RR Ave. Look at the top of the next map. I approximated the rails. In another map. E.RR Ave goes all the way to Fuselier St. In all the drawings I've marked the Southern Pacific in red.


The orange line, top map, to the east is the route of the Missouri Pacific originating in New Iberia. I'm in the middle of a New Iberia investigation right now and I'll add that to the end of this one and to the Sugarcane Railroad ride. The name "Sugarcane" was used since I didn't know what I was looking at. It was the Missouri Pacific. The MP came in from Cecelia. The hump there is right near the intersection of 328 and 31. That rail bed is very visible all the way from New Iberia to US 190. Even I could find it.

My wife is interrupting me every few minutes. I'm starting over.

Here's a pastoral scene south of Bayou Fuselier. Ahooooooom. I better cool it or I could be sleeping in a pastoral scene.


These are a couple of old warehouses associated, I think, with the Singleton Lumber Yard or Plantation. My guess is that a spur ran to them. They are on La.93, just west of the SP rails before they cross the bayou.


Here's another building in that group. The high doors on the left are suspicious. I just GE'd the Singleton's lumber yard and I do think they had a siding, but not where I thought first.




Here's how they sit. They are pretty well lined up and the doors of the steel building are on the back. I'd put a truck door in the back also. Just a thought. I'm probably wrong like I said above. But, maybe the spur split before crossing the highway?

This is a Google Earth view of the whole lumberyard complex. The red line is my guessed at spur arrangement.



Next are all of the crossing pictures. Sorry to linger here, but this is one of those very important places in history and we can just dwell a little, soak it in and show a little reverence. I think it's time for a chair ride, don't you? One time I brought my folding chair to unfold in special places. That was a hoot.

This is looking from La.93 toward town. Notice the cracks in the road. Those could either be an influence of the old rails or just more La.cracks in the road?


Not getting a good picture of the fill where the rails rode, I walked across La.93. I remember it like it was yesterday, but I don't think it was? You can see it much better in this one.


I know, I forgot to sign it. There goes its sale's value.


That's a picture of Fuselier Street. I found this cement curb with "1934" on it. Any significance to the RR? Who knows. I think it probably refers to a bridge that was there, or you know, it could have been something else. The rails should have been in place well before "34". Maybe the train bridge had been...........?



OK, we are back at ........


There are hidden treasures throughout Arnaudville. I need to spend a day there. Here is an old building on W.RR Ave.


It's on the corner of Jaycees and W.RR. I think it's a "hall" of some kind. Possibly a hotel? It had side by side front doors. It was something. It won't be there long.

West RR Ave. meets La.347 as that highway heads for Leonville. As best I can tell, it skirted the sewer pond just to the west of it and did not go through it as pictured in the top map. If there are two guesses, I split the difference. Otherwise, I could sit here forever. West of the sewer pond? East of the sewer pond? West of......? East of......? So I ran the damn thing through it. I enjoyed that and found it rewarding since I'd put some folks I don't like on the train first, kicked the throttle full steam and jumped off. Yea, ha!!


Following the rails up 347, these shots were taken down the few cuts into the lowlands which the rails ran. There is a little coulee or stream in there. That might have provided a higher ground on the natural levee or a lot of fill was used. Or, the stream I'm seeing was used to drain water away from the bed? That's been done.


Looking from La.347 back to the grade.


You can see two of the black, not rusted at all, rails back in there.


Here, near Garland Road the rails turned away from La.347 toward Leonville.


Now the fun is starting to begin. Leonville had a SP Depot. I pulled a cop stop on an old man riding his bicycle in town. I asked if he knew anything about the railroad that came through. He said he did and offered to lead me to the station. That scene would have been funny and it would have lasted a while. Just in time, some one pulled up to talk to him. He told me that people used the train to go to Port Barre and that there was a station there. Wow. I could have spent an afternoon with this guy, us just riding around and talking about the dense history of the place. I always look for him when I go through there.

I'm not going to post any pictures of Leonville here. They are throughout the website, already. I will show you the shots of where the SP crossed Bayou Teche. This will be the first time it will be on the east side of the bayou.
I didn't have Everett's maps at the time and my GPS didn't show the route. Here's pretty close. Click the map to enlarge.


The Bayou Teche trestle was off of La.31, very near the city limits sign.


Notice the very old water pump by the bayou. I wonder? Steam engines needed water? Naw. Port Barre was very close and the depot was on Bayou Courtableu.

Looking to the other side:


Here's looking north across La.31:


The SP had another low land problem. I'm posting this map to show the intermittent steams which the rails crossed. The heavy blue course at the top is Bayou Courtableu at Port Barre. The one branching off of it is Bayou Teche. Both have natural levees. If water was coming from the east, it would be trapped in that "corner" formed by the two bayous.


There was a flood which began at Torras in 1912. That water made its way to the low area between Port Barre and Leonville.


This is pretty good stuff. It is from the Railway Gazette, 1912.




Check the Torras ride for the New York Times account of this flood. Torras was no more after that high water.


Next stop: Frisbee.


The area was indeed flat. It is as flat as a pancake. I've looked out there for Frisbee, even told my dog to fetch.

I think there is actually something on that location but it is way up on private property. It had to have been a plantation stop. More later. Port Barre is going to be intense. Four railroads serviced the little town and they gave me the book on it. Cry in your beer Indiana, I got there first.



This afternoon I went back to Port Barre to follow a few leads in order to finish this, the last segment of tracing the extinct Southern Pacific branch tracks between Cade and Port Barre, Louisiana. I have used these old routes as tour guides. At first I saw them as fun because they were illusive and mystical. I've tried to include interesting stuff I see but following the rails has not been that fruitful. I just looked over the last section write, Arnaudville to Leonville. It seems I focused only on the railroad bed. It is time to give the railroad sleuthing up. No one is interested in it. Not even me.

But, first, Port Barre:

The last time I was in town I was looking for the location of one depot I guessed had been there. I'd gotten that idea from something I'd read or seen. I stopped some old black woman on the street figuring she might remember a station. She called her grandson who was also pretty old, but neither could put their finger on it. I asked where the city hall was. They directed me to it and told me to hurry. I hurried. I came in the door and asked the lady at the window if there was anyone around that could tell me about the history of Port Barre. At best I hoped for an old white haired person to limp out and mumble a list of disconnected recollections. No, out came a very business like....., whoa, I have to tell you, and I'll try to be professional doing it. Out came this extremely "attractive" young lady, I'd say she was about six feet tall. She asked me what I was interested in. I managed to spit out, "railroads". She said, "Just a minute". I figured she'd gone to fetch Security to show me out. She returned, saying she was in a hurry to get out of there, but she had a book. The book she was holding was The History of Port Barre. She also said that there was only one. She showed me into a conference room and handed it over. Then she turned and came back in mysteriously interested in railroad history. She took the book from me and opened it up. As she flipped the first few pages I saw "RAILROADS" as she continued looking. I yelled, "I saw it". Cautiously, she handed the book back over to me and said I could copy the pages I wanted. She showed me to the machine. I offered to pay for the copies and she refused. She flew out of the office, me thanking her profusely as she left. Below is what she gave me and I'm giving you. Sorry, your source is not as "attractive" as mine.

I think I'll present it to you in the order in which I got it. This information was copied, rearranged, outlined, augmented and degraded by me. Basically, it's hers, the author's. It will be torn apart and repeated later. So, don't try to commit it to memory right now. You'll never finish this article.

"The History of PORT BARRE (1765-1950)" by Cheryl Bihm Myers.

In the early 1900’s, railroad right of ways were secured in the Port Barre area.
In December, 1905, the Opelousas Gulf and Northeastern Railway Co. purchased a right of way through the property of Valerian Langlois. It was 100 feet wide and 500 feet in distance on the west bank of Bayou Courtableau. It is now known as the “OG Track”.

I believe that was a mistake. What is locally called the "OG Track" is on the east side of the bayou. I did not see that name used on the west side though I did later find the bed and followed it west.

The following is pretty much a quote, "In June, 1906, J.O. LeBlanc sold a right of way through his property to the Opelousas, Gulf and Northeastern Railway Co. The purchase price for this right of way was one dollar with the stipulation that the railway company locate, construct, and maintain a passenger and freight depot on part of his land. In the event the depot was not constructed, Mr. Leblanc would have the right to claim a compensation of fifty dollars per acre for the five and one tenth acres in question”.

Another stipulation of the sale was that within two years the railway company was to be instrumental in securing an industry or industries adjacent to the railroad employing 20 or more employees. Craighead Lumber was started in 1908.

June, 1906, Morgan’s Louisiana and Texas Railroad and Steamship Co secured right-of-ways through the property of Dr.J.P. Saizan and Mrs. David P. Saizan. It was on Mrs Saizan’s property that the LARGE TURNTABLE was constructed where the engine of the train was manually turned around as the tracks ended near Bayou Courtableau. This turntable and the depot were located along present day Railroad St. There was a service track that ran along the bayou for loading cotton from the gin and lumber from the saw mill.

Morgan’s Louisiana and Texas Railroad later evolved into the Southern Pacific Railroad Co.

The Colorado Southern, New Orleans & Pacific Railroad Co. purchased right of ways in April, 1906, from Mrs. D.P. Saizan. The agreement was that the railroad would maintain three crossings and construct a freight and passenger depot on this 5.17 acre tract of land. This depot eventually became known as the Frisco Depot.

The author says that no one can say for certain what Frisco stands for. She evidently did not have the internet at her fingertips like we do today. The Colorado Southern evolved into the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company.

I've finally figured out how the St.Louis and San Francisco Railroad, commonly known as the "Frisco" in all the little communities it served, evolved into the Missouri Pacific. First, probably, the Colorado Southern was owned by the Frisco. Frisco went into bankruptcy and the courts told the controllers it had to divest of its LA and TX holdings. Those holdings became the New Orleans and San Francisco, a part of The Gulf Coast Lines. The Missouri Pacific bought the Gulf Coast lines, thus, old timers called the Missouri Pacific Stations, "The Frisco Station". The location of where the Port Barre Missouri Pacific station was on Frisco Street. Obviously, the author was a little weak on railroad history, like me. Here's more of her spiel:

In early 1909, the New Iberia, St. Martin & Northern RR Company purchased ROW’s through the lands of Mrs. D. F. Saizan. This railroad had to agree to construct crossing on First St., Robin St., Second St., and Saizan Ave. as well as construct a depot to be known as the Port Barre Depot. This depot was to be constructed on the same location as the present day Port Barre Fire Station.

Her mentioning those crossings was extremely helpful.

I don't know if the depot was built. I did a brief search for the fire station this afternoon but, frankly, I was worn out with Port Barre. I saw several people to ask and decided that they were bad candidates. Some people just carry that "bad candidate" look.

In 1909, the New Iberia, St.Martin & Northern RR Co. filed suit against Morgan’s La. and Tex. RR and Steamship Co. It seems that the New Iberia line had to cross over the Morgan line at a point south of the Frisco depot. The Morgan people were sabotaging the crossing. The suit charged the Morgan RR with “malice in their attempt to obstruct and impede construction of the New Iberia line. The courts found in favor of the New Iberia Line and the crossings were eventually completed. When looking at the map which shows all the railroads coming into Port Barre, and the number of times they cross each others, it is a wonder there were not more wrecks.

By January, 1910, all four railroads were in operation at Port Barre.

Her Conclusion:

"The OG remained in use until around 1951. [the T&P RR assume those rails before 51 and the T&P were the final owners, I know that. Mike's dad ran that line. Again, she's a little off.] The NI, St. M & Northern RR Co. abandoned its tracks in the early 30’s after the Stave mill closed. The Southern Pacific (M’s La. & Tex. RR& Steam) stopped all passenger and mail service in 1936. After that the train occasionally came during cotton season to load bales of cotton. All services were discontinued by 1940 and the tracks were removed".

"The only RR company still in operation today is the Missouri Pacific (Colorado Southern) which parallels US 90 though Frisco".

The book is evidently old, the MP was absorbed by the Union Pacific and Frisco is not a place, but a nickname for a railroad company. Well, not exactly. I found a Frisco, Louisiana near Livonia. It was named for the railroad.

Now I'll add a few pictures of what she has alluded to.

Here's a map from the book. I've doctored it up. I usually make mistakes, if you find one, wow, you're good. You'll have to open it in a new window to fully appreciate it. Supposedly, this was the situation in 1910.


I'm going to start from the bottom of the map. I love this place. It is where the Morgan's Railroad (Southern Pacific), and New Iberia (later, also Missouri Pacific) crossed. It is where the SP was found guilty of malice in their attempt to obstruct and impede construction of the New Iberia line. (Hanky Panky). It is marked as "Crossing A", where the purple and red lines cross. La.741 coming north from La.31 near Leonville, follows the MP grade (purple) north until it hits the cross tracks. Then the road follows the SP (red) on across US 190 and then up Railroad Ave, aka, La.741. Here are pictures from my two recent visits. It's quite a place.

It is amazing that the bed is so visible. On my last visit it was very visible as the farmer had cleaned the bed off on a half mile stretch northwest from cross tracks.

The first shot is when I first got there. I'm shooting north up the grade of the SP, which I think is actually the highway's bed. That's a state cop coming at me. I saw him slow down. I bet he thought I was beaming HIM.


Next is looking south on the SP. That turn is where the road starts following the MP bed which is off to left of the highway. If you drive down 741, the bed forms the west levee of the crawfish farm pond.


Here's looking northwest on the MP. Can't see it?


How bout now? This picture was taken today. The farmer has plans for the old bed. Is he going to use it for a road, hopefully, or, is it to be plowed under? If so, my timing was priceless. Another bridge to history will be gone.


I'm thinking the worse of the two options.

This is what I found on the ground, again, priceless. That wood is probably 100 years old. It, of course, is what is left of the railroad ties that were churned up by the grader or whatever attachment he was using?


Here's looking out to where there was probably a trestle. I'll have to check the topographic map for a stream or lowland. You can see the Port Barre water tower in the background. Indeed there is an intermittent stream shown.


Here are a few more pieces of tie.


I know, I get carried away, but this is the last rail write and I'm throwing in the kitchen sink.


Moving north on the "All the Railroads" map, a point of interest would be the Frisco or CSNO&P depot. As I rode into Port Barre and onto Friso Street, I looked for old people. I found a really old one sitting in his pickup truck. I asked him where the depot had been and he motioned "down the street" and then said, "by the light", on US 190. That would have put it way off the present rails. Frisco Street curves toward the rails and I would think the apex of that curve would have been the depot, but maybe not? The fact that it is off the rails leads me to believe that a siding was provided for the depot. Duh. And, it is near the light.

On the map you can see the 3 railroads, SP, MP and Colorado... The purple line is Frisco Street. I'll have to go back. I now see that Jacqueline Dr. might reach the wye where the MP met the CO. The train would have to join the CO to get to the station. The fact that the CO became the MP solved that problem. (all speculative). Also, see "Rayne St.? It will come into play later. Click the map, Al.






On the last page we covered the main east-west line, the The Colorado Southern, New Orleans & Pacific Railroad Co. To icing the cake, here's her words:

"The Colorado Southern, New Orleans & Pacific Railroad Co. purchased ROW’s in April, 1906 from Mrs. D.P. Saizan. The agreement was that the railroad would maintain three crossings and construct a freight and passenger depot on this 5.17 acre tract of land. This depot eventually became known as the Frisco Depot. The authors says that no one can say for certain what Frisco stands for. The Colorado Southern later changed its name to the Missouri Pacific RR Company".

Next, we'll look at the SP or Morgan's La. and Texas RR. Her words:

June, 1906, Morgan’s Louisiana and Texas Railroad and Steamship Co. secured right-of-ways through the property of Dr. J.P. Saizan and Mrs. David P. Saizan It was on Mrs Saizan’s property that the LARGE TURNTABLE was constructed where the engine of the train was manually turned around as the tracks ended near Bayou Courtableau. This turntable and the depot were located along present day Railroad St. There was a service track that ran along the bayou for loading cotton from the gin and lumber from the saw mill".

So, there was a cotton gin and saw mill probably along Railroad Street.

The fact that there was a turntable at where the SP rails ended at Bayou Courtableu brought a chuckle. I had previously said that there was a turntable at Simmesport. That fact was questioned by some, though the residents said it existed. The doubters said it was too expensive and unneeded. Evidently, the use of turntables was not that big a deal. Here's part of the historic drawing. Marked on it was, "Dark lines indicate the location of the Morgan's Louisiana&Texas Railroad turntable on Saizon land". Where I have "Bayou Courtableu" written, is where cargo could be transferred from boat to train. There appears to be a warehouse there, also.


Just past the pink house would be the location of the turntable. The warehouse area would be on the left. The depot would be southeast on Railroad St.


This is the overhead satellite shot. See the circle at the end of Railroad St. Bingo.


Here's the SP schedule. It is for train 605 and 606. I found this Public Service Commission request for 1914.


This is a 1926 schedule.


Next are a few pictures taken around Bayou Courtableu in Port Barre. I'm not sure of the date on this bridge. It seems to be the same style as the US 190 bridge just east of Krotz Springs, which would make sense. That was built in 1940.


This is from the north side of the bayou. I need a shot of the landing and warehouse area from the opposite bank.


A while back a reader, Tiny, sent this, "Back in the day, steamboats could chug up the Atchaflaya and then up to Port Barre. Believe it or not, the average depth is about 25 feet deep. Steamboats used to load/unload in P.B. right by the current bridge. That giant oak tree across from the grocery store was there then (my great grandpa used to tell me). There is a large branch on the tree with a big dip in it caused by countless 19th century children swinging on the swing they had on the tree".

Now, I know that steam boats were used into the 1900's. I don't know when Bayou Courtableu was cut off from the Atchafalaya. I would guess that it would have been after the great flood of 1927 when the Corps of Engineers started re-shaping the world as we know it. North of town, on into Washington, the bayou is no small waterway. We'll see that later.

Next, I'll shift us over to the west side of town where the New Iberia RR, after the cross track feud with the Southern Pacific was settled, came into town.

In early 1909, the New Iberia, St. Martin & Northern RR Company purchased ROW’s through the lands of Mrs. D. F. Saizan. This railroad had to agree to construct crossing on First St., Robin St., Second St., and Saizan Ave. as well as construct a depot to be known as the Port Barre Depot. This depot was to be constructed on the same location as the present day Port Barre Fire Station.

I constructed a map, comparing it to the one from the book, and marked each required crossing.


Starting from the bottom, the yellow line is the New Iberia RR. I would think the depot was on Saizon Ave., La.103, where the unfound fire station is. Moving north, it crossed Second, Robin, and First Sts. It next crossed the young Bayou Teche. The bayou starts just to the north and is a distributary of the Courtableu. It next ran north, crossing Rayne Road and merged with the OG, which is the next discussion. Click the map if it is not large enough.

The Opelousas and Gulf straddled the north part of Port Barre. It crossed the big Courtableu on what must have been a swing bridge. This is the 1906 plat. I can read this on the plat: "Plat showing right of way of the Opelousas, Gulf and NE Ry. Co. through land of John O. LeBlanc. May 12, 1906. So could the author.


The books description:

"December, 1905 The Opelousas Gulf and Northeastern Railway Co. purchased a right of way through the property of Valerian Langlois. It was 100 feet wide and 500 feet in distance on the west bank of Bayou Courtableau. It is now known as the “OG Track”.

I saw no road labeled OG Track on the west side of the bayou. That road is on the east side.

In June, 1906, J.O. LeBlanc sold a right of way through his property to the Opelousas Gulf and Northeastern Railway Co. The purchase price for this ROW was one dollar with the stipulation that the railway company locate, construct, and maintain a passenger and freight depot on part of his land. In the even the depot was not constructed, Mr. Leblanc would have the right to “claim a compensation of fifty dollars per acre for the five and one tenth acres in question”.

Another stipulation of the sale was that within two years the railway company was to be instrumental in securing an industry or industries adjacent to the railroad employing 20 or more employees. Craighead Lumber was started in 1908".

Indeed a fine depot was built. Notice the OG boxcar behind the depot.


This road sign is on La.103 heading out of town. To the east of 103, in a broad median, is where the depot was.


A while back I followed the OG to where it crossed Bayou Courtableu. There was a large fill before the bridge.



I took a shot out into the water, but, it was late afternoon and the sun was too much to show much. Later, I crossed over the bayou and took these shots from Rayne Road.


Climbing back up the bank:


This is some new road which I suspect sits atop the old OG bed west. I followed it to its end where it dropped off into some lowland.


Here'an OG Schedule, Click it to enlarge:


I've traced the whole line starting with the article "Side Tracks" and ending with the "Swampers" ride. The OG had to try hard to get to Melville. I suspect Crowley was a little easier.

Back on the north side of the Courtableu, near the school, is this old bank. I did't want to forget to show it, but almost did.


So, there you go, the picture in 1910.I'll repeat her conclusion.

"The OG remained in use until around 1951. [The T&P RR assumed those rails before 1951, I do believe.] The NI, St. M & Northern RR Co. abandoned its tracks in the early 30’s after the Stave mill closed. The Southern Pacific (M’s La. & Tex. RR& Steam) stopped all passenger and mail service in 1936. After that the train occasionally came during cotton season to load bales of cotton. All services were discontinued by 1940 and the tracks were removed".


Today:





Then, when looking at these seemingly shallow new pictures of commonplace rail settings, you see something. Something old and probably important to the history of the community. It happened in the Port Barre yard.



This one has been long and I won't do a similar one again. This will probably be the last railroad guided ride, also. I don't look up and see other stuff because I'm looking down at some bump or hump or pile of gravel or the GPS. I've lost the the "big picture" approach.

I have collected other files on places the Southern Pacific passed between Cade and Port Barre. I don't want to go back to the various pages and add them in. That would be too much work at this point. All of that will be on the next page, if interested.

As I progressed up the Teche Valley from Cade to Port Barre, following the route of the Southern Pacific branch line, I missed stuff. I'm sure I missed a lot. This page has a few pictures and excerpts that might add to the ride.

On the south end of the route, I was told that Lady of the Lake Road was, in part, the beginning of the branch after the train had left the main line. Not exactly. B Beyt Rd. was. I went back and took a few pictures. I'll show you one. The bed, right before a water crossing, is easily seen.

After leaving Breaux Bridge, I made the point that the Missouri Pacific had visited Cecelia and the Southern Pacific had not. I had also mentioned that Cecelia was called Grand Point until about 1940. This is from a tour book done by the Federal Writer's Project in the Great Depression.







Next is from the same source. It starts IN Breaux Bridge and follows La.31 south. The highway was numbered "25" back then. I found it when I was researching the area north of Breaux Bridge, called DeClouet. I think it was named for this DeClouet.














And, I found the exact address of the St.Martinville depot.


On the way up to Port Barre this last time, I detoured down Harold Stutes Road which lies in the the peninsula called Grand Point. I found the SP route.




And, I really tried to get to Frisbee.
Update 2014:
I've been to Frisbee!