Train Chase: AKDN Roll Call

If you can't find something to do, try finding the AKDN RR's engines. Of course you never know which ones are "active" or not. Wearing blinders and a blindfold to avoid finding something domestic to do, I made my way to my front door, tore for my awaiting bike and roared off to Port Barre, Stop One for me in seeing who is present and who isn't.

While there I talked to a gentleman who lives right across the tracks from the old Missouri Pacific RR depot. He pointed out how the streets had run and where the crossing to his house had been. Today the railroad had his "new" driveway blocked. It had been blocked and he couldn't get out. He asked me if I was with the railroad. I made it very clear that I had no affiliation with the offending party. He was not happy, well until I started reeling off my complete knowledge of his home town. Each time I mentioned a land mark or historical railroad he smiled. The train finally got out of the way and he left offering to let me go ahead of him. Did I mention that I made friends with the guy who owns the old house in back of the Port Barre Yard?

While talking to him I took these shots. Maybe Donovan
can tell me whose engines these are. I think they are UP
or rented by UP (the second engine GMTX 2195). The
front engine is wearing a UP shield and numbered 2029.



He got permission from Livonia to traverse the main line and work the yard.



Backing





Thinking of a project to keep me busy, I went by the AKDN
Shop Yard. I do believe this is one of their two original engines.
In a couple of weekends I could have it running.



Greenie, 4106, sits out on AKDN's main line, Opelousas to Ville Platte.



8063, one of the main galls was there. I think she usually
works the Eunice to Crowley route. Why was she here if that is so?
Where is the newly beautified old gal, 1503? Eunice. (Donovan knows)



I went by Marks where he was cleaning up the well house
he had burned down. I asked him for guidance. He asked if
I was train chasing. I said I was but didn't know whether to
ride to Eunice and then to Crowley or ride to Ville Platte. He
seemed to lean toward Ville Platte. After only 3 hours of sleep
last night, I listed toward the Ville Platte choice.

AKDN 701 was at Union Tank in Ville Platte. She was not looking too well.



The little tug was shifting cars around.



I headed on into Ville Platte.
The old rails from Opelousas bend to the north here.
The old rails from Eunice are long gone. I think they were
pulled up about 1948. I think the line from Ville Platte to
Opelousas was built about then. I found a rail tie above
Ville Platte today marked 1944. Further up the line, Al
and I found nails marked 1949 and 1947.



I ended up at Cabot, where was 1500?
There was a sea of cars with no storage left.





I then rode further north to Continental Lakes Rd. There
I wanted to intercept 1500 if she was coming south from
Bunkie.



I stared to the north.



And at the back hoe.



Across the tracks.



And south back at Cabot.



Hopefully zooming further down. Only a car was on the main line.



At the old plank crossing.



And, then I starred back toward Bunkie.



The railroad rides the lowland at the base of the Louisiana upland.
I believe this is an extension of the geologic formation called the
Kisatchie Wold. Hills are to the west, flood plain to the east.

1500 never showed up. I think it was in Bunkie. I hope she isn't ill.
The cars are backing up at both Ville Platte locations. If she is sick,
an engine will have to come up the recently unused rails between VP
and Opelousas to take her place.

No, it wasn't too hot and I got rained on going home. A black cloud was
over Radio Shack so I didn't make it by. More later.

I'll continue looking. No engines were at LouAna, Statesman St.
or the north yard at the end of Railroad Ave. Maybe their number
is dwindling faster than they can be replaced?