Done 2 HH: Searching for the Claiborne and Polk RR ROW

In lieu of an exercise program, I've talked myself into believing that riding my bike will keep me tuned up. I've even let that slide recently, so..... yesterday I decided to do a full workout, impending body and soul frying heat or not.



I've become more invigorated with the old trains that ran the woods between the US 165 and US 171. That has been possible due to the voluminous amounts of information Everett (Southern Forest Heritage Museum, Long Leaf, La.) has given me, Mark's contributions and enthusiasm, and the fact that part of Louisiana is about as prime as it gets for motorcycle riding whether your interest lies in the history, scenery, the road or somewhere in between.



And, I'm not talking just paved roads. The area is webbed with great gravel roads, courtesy of the National Forest Service. A sweet spot lies bordered by those 2 major US highways, La.10 to the south and La.28 to the north. There are others in the state for sure. That's my self-imposed limits for this area. If you bite off too much, you choke. (Yes, I realize that the J&E fell bellow La.10, and others are widely spread, so please don't write, Jethro)



This is going to be a general description of the ride which will not include the in depth shots of believed Claiborne and Polk Military Railroad right of ways though some will be shown which capture more than that facet of the shot. I told Al I was cutting his previously slandered "woodsy" shots and he fired back that he now wanted them, so, well, you pick your fights with Al and that will not be one of them.



First, some old business. I found this shot in my camera. I'd either taken it on purpose or the camera auto fired. I find it poignant, but I don't know why. The spike was in my pocket as I sat down to review the Cottonport Depot Ride shots. It is from the Mansura KCS/L&A/LN&R depot property. I also find its presence self-reflective and questioning. How could I be walking around with a spike in my pocket? I guess you adjust. I did feel a bit lighter and more comfortable with its absence.







All righty. I was pretty efficient in getting to west Opelousas. Exiting town on US 190 I saw this fairly mundane old building on the north side. What got my attention was its old timey facade. I think I've seen a similar one over on Bayou LaFourche, on the east side of the Basin. I asked a local contributor if he remembered the place. He mentioned meeting his first wife there. I further quizzed him on the names of the band that played there and evidently that was not his focus of the times as he remembered none. He just wrote back that he remembered Johnny Allen. I think one of his bands was band was "Johnny Allen and the Memories", a great Swamp Pop artist. Record List Click Here Biography Click Here







You may be able to see the remaining fluorescent lights, "Southern Club". South Louisiana and East Texas, especially Beaumont, were dotted with such Swamp Pop venues. Often these places doubled as cock fighting arenas, a truly fowl addiction. Jay's Lounge in Cankton was one that doubled up. Bless Jay's, but it had a dark side.













He did add these notes for posterity with a time frame (his bar hopping era) . It follows:



"Bea's [a bar he'd mentioned] was catty- corner from that boudin place [old Southern Pacific crossing on what is now La.182, just south of Opelousas], and what is now Teche electric supply.



There was also a who-- house across from the airport, it was hidden in the trees, maybe that was the 2 story brick one?" [I had mentioned a two story building I thought was a big restaurant or bar or......]



I had to dash that word, who--. In doing so I presented a question. I'm sure we'd be surprised, or not, at the answers to "who" among our notables who frequented who-- houses here in Southwest Louisiana.



[Cat Doucet, the long ago sheriff of St.Landry parish was linked to a house of ill repute, if my memory serves me. The mention of a who-- house should not link the mentioner to actually being associated with the mentioned establishment, he or I. So, take us off your who list.]



The mentioner goes on:



"There was also Raphaels across from Soileau's Restaurant on the Washington Road. I really didn't barhop much in those days".



[Maybe late 80's to mid 90's which seems late in the century for those places to still be open, but I guess they were? Tradition dies slowly here in SWLA.]



Back to me: So you thought this was going to be about choo choos and wandering the woods? Well, it is, but I like to get your attention first. By the way, the hook for reading all of this is a pretty intense look at Leesville at the end of the ride, but you'll need to completely ingest the first pages to find the key to opening that one. That's just my way of sharing the suspense and or drudgery that accompanies these things.



Can't you see it? I didn't think so. If you can see it, tell me in the guest book and I'll send you all the shots only the illusioner can appreciate. I won't stress you again in this one. Everett, it's the one that crosses 113 west of Glenmora.







In the next one, you can see the same railroad heading off to the right. The following shots will be only to display the countryside....... and there will be a few mentions of the hidden history most possess.







I'm going to throw in a little map of my immediate wanderings in the forest west of 165. The green area is the Kisatchie National Forest. The little dash lines are old railroad routes, some call them trams, but there were many true "through" railroads there, also. The lumber company holdings got so widespread they needed railroads to bring in the harvest and in some cases, the finished and semi-finished products. So you see these little lines running everywhere. The key to finding the through lines is finding longer dash line continuations that may go somewhere today, but, did go somewhere in the past.



In these woods, back during WWII, the army built a railroad, some of it on the bed of a previous lumber company route. It was the Claiborne and Polk MilitaryRR, named for the two camps (Polk was not a fort at the time) at either end of its route. It was built for training and transportation purposes. The weighpoints on the map, marked with S's and a number and P's with a number, as well as "Big Cut", mark the C&P's route, or so I believe. I have not completelely varified that with Everett's maps, though it does girate in the same manner in what I've seen. I can only guess that the rest is true. These disclaimers really wear me out. Lieing or making unsubstantuated statements seem an easier alternative. The pay scale grants me that option.



The story goes like this, the green dashes, those depicting the probable route of the Glenmoara and Western (yes, I could have just made that up. They are the "d" weighpoints) come from the south, seen in the previous two pictures. I'll tighten this up later or EL will come screaming. The Army used some of their route, as I said, or rather Everett said, to go west. The yellow dotted line is the C&P. The white dotted line is me. Sometimes we are the same. The red dashes are the Red River and Gulf, the bar band at the SFHMuseum at Long Leaf as it heads off to the west on tour. The weighpoints that are just numbers mark the roads where it crossed. BTW, click the map to enlarge. The map, Fred.







I was just zooming in a little and found "Germany Creek". Had there been war games here involving the railroad trainees who were, in many cases, seasoned railroad men?







Near D9 is the Sunset Fire tower. I could have climbed it. The gate was open, there was no one around and the steps were to the ground. What kept me? FEAR.







I can hear a little voice in the back of the room, "Well, was there any sign of the railroad at D9"?



Yes, Theresa, there was. This is just to illustrate the thick woods and to placate Al. I have to keep reminding him he asked for these.







This one's for the biker crowd at the Barn. Here I am at D9. In the absence of any further evidence, I tried to be as economical as I could and got the required bike shot.







At S21, near the base of Potato Shed Rd, the C&P had joined the whatever RR and both headed west through here. I know I said I wouldn't, but this is too exciting. I am a weak person.







At this point in the ride I needed to go east and start from Big Cut, where the C&P and RR&G crossed (on the map) That is all documented in another write to be linked to at the end of this one. I don't want you scurrying off to read it and leave me here with no one to lie to.



Oh, man, I was on a roll. Next was the Spring Creek crossing. This was the route to the river.







The next few are river shots. I couldn't swear that I actually saw the opposite bank receiving the rails. I keep forgetting that 1945 was a long time ago and Lord knows, I have enough reminders.











There was the sound of a small rapid and gurgling water. If you are into small rapids and gurgling, this place would be your Nurvana.











Wow, I just got a little zap. There were stairs down to the water. Had this been the location of an old Baptist church? I've seen this same scene, it seems, in East Louisiana.



The current had straightened out the river plants.







I've got chores to do or I'm going to be "straightened out".



We are now going to hunker down and getter done.



Spring Creek crossing is off of Richmond Road. Richmond road runs east into Richmond Cutoff Rd. I feel sure that Richmond Cutoff Rd is the C&P. Look at this road and imagine it as rails. I know I'm dead on with this one. Don't fuss about the road sign, I could have named it "Steve Road". I obviously have the power.



















At the end of Richmond Cutoff is Boy Scout Rd. Right across BS is 259.



Great memories of the Claiborne Multipurpose Trails came crashing back.

The operative word there is "crashing".









The old C&P runs directly into National Forest Road 259. The tracks crossed Boy Scout Rd and continue on 259 until it arcs south. There is a 2 rut road that continues. Take it and you'll be at Big Cut. The route continues after the C&P jumps the Red River and Gulf at Big Cut. That fill on the east side is extremely interesting. It is high above the surroundings. I have taken my Rv through there. That is not suggested as the fill is eroding. From there the line proceeds into the bowels of Camp Claiborne. I turned north on Boy Scout and made a loop north and then west back to Richmond Rd, ready to continue west on the C&P.









"50" and "49" are RR&G crossings. I headed back to S 21 on East River Road. I went north. I turned west off East River onto Glass, which had been named Clarence Edwards. I had a chance to intersect the right of way.











I found it. But, there was a gate. I would have traveled on but you never know how reactive people can be. The guy that lives down there might have been robbed recently. He may have shinny mean dogs. The possibilities can have an end. Yours.



BTW. I found the other end of this section. The gate was down on the other end and I could have ridden it. I might one day. It would offer a woo woo opportunity. That's when you can ride a right of way and pretend you are a train and go woo woo. Don't knock it until you try it.



Glass Road was gorgeous. Look, I use these various rabbits, old railroads, bayous, and road numbers as a way to explore places I'd never think to go. It works. Choose your rabbits.







I returned to E. River and pulled into the settlement of Calcasieu.

The old store marks the crossroads.







Next, I left down Strothers Crossing Rd.



The crossing location is a neighborhood beach. Local women with their kids showed up while I was shooting. They were neutral and ignored me. I not having Al with me to handle social amenities, remained neutral, also.







Could this have been left from 1945?







This is an arm of the Calcacieu River. There are many.



I also like bridges, another rabbit. Could it have been the C&P crossing?





















If not a rail bridge, then I bet it was built by those guys.

I rode back up the road to take a picture of the other end of the road with the gate. This one had a gate also, no signs. I'll be back as this stretch crosses another arm of the Calcasieu.







I next tuned northwest on La.112, turning southwest o Padgette Road and then northwest on Farmer Cutoff Rd. Then Merchant Rd. This was a vague passage. Nevertheless, the railroad's path was still evident. S18, 17, 16, 15, 14 gave it up.



















I reached La.121. Ahead was Army Stuff.







It looks the right era? I'd seen another one on the J&E route. Could the Army had a garage sale?



Next was LaCamp. I saw the historical maker and thought it might commemorate the old railroad. The "Golden Spike" finishing the line was struck here.



But, this was about another historical happening.











It's for sale at the church. Ask for Darren.



I was off onto La. 489, north of LaCamp to try to find where this happened.















I've gotten to the point in the write where I tuck in behind the wind screen and twist it. This is also the point in the ride where I did the same. La.489 is a great little road. I found nothing but pine trees where I thought the last spike had been driven.







I did find a log cabin.















I was starting to get worn out with the C&P. The road had supplanted the mission. I fell into what motorcyclist call rhythm. That doesn't mean fast or slow, I guess it's where everything is in sync and flowing along. Or, I was dehydrated nearing sun stroke status. I don't remember it being hot, but what does that mean?



I reached La.465 south of La.28, the Alex to Leesville road.

I saw a farmhouse with a box car behind it.







It had no markings, was it stolen?







I reached La. 28. I sat there pondering the situation. I usually turn a ride around at 3pm. Being that it was daylight savings time, wasn't it was really 2pm sun time, I rationalized. I turned toward Leesville. La. 28 is being 4 laned. The state police are heavy along that route, so be cool. My next S mark would be the C&P's crossing as it went north of 28. I would not pursue it as I wanted to use my time in Leesville. The final C&P picture would be stunning and a great way to end this stretch of research.







S10 marks the spot. You can see how it turns west after crossing the main highway. The Calcasieu Basin is a tangle of riveretts. I'm sure crossing it was well planned to be the most efficient. Or maybe not? I know a lot of post had to be driven for those trestles. I sure would like to find one. The remainder of the C&P would have to wait. I was going to Leesville.







I saw this shortcut. I missed it, but found a way to it. I rode for 5 miles and came to a "Road Closed" sign.







Where I wanted to go was in sight.



I threw a tantrum in the middle of the road. I cursed Louisiana, Vernon Parish, the DOTD guys and my mother in law since I've been so restrained lately. Never let a good tantrum go unstoked. After I'd blown my wistle and the pressure was down, I calmly reversed course and returned to La.28 for another try at getting to the tracks in Leesville. My GPS wanted to take me back to the out bridge, I cursed her too. She's long known her name rhymes with "itch".



Nevertheless, I did find a neat way into Leesville. By the way, Leesville takes a bad rap. It is a very nice little town. I sensed I was near a historic lumber mill. I have that ability.







What did I tell you.







I just reviewed the Leesville pictures. There's no way I can add them

to this page.



I parked the bike at the crossing. I think I was getting a little woozy as my give a dam' was gone. I'd just parked in the middle of the road. What were they going to do, run over me? This was a great place for me to cop an attitude since there was no traffic. I think I was still hot over the "Road Out" experience. I'm getting one of those orange cones and put "Road Closed" on it and park anywhere. No traffic will be allowed to pass me. I know, that's brilliant. Glad to share.



Good shot, huh?







Thank you, but this one is better. That's where I was headed.







Well?



Here's looking down 3rd Street which looks like the old main drag.







Oops, maybe this one is a little better.







The next one is looking north. If you are going to do it, do it all.







A map would make things easier for me, so I'll put one. Click it, it gets bigger.







A brief explanation. The yellow line is an old railroad coming into Leesville. I think it's a branch of the C&P, though it shouldn't be. I would think the C&P ended at Camp Polk, but the yellow line hooks up to the dashes I followed from Claiborne with a brief break in the line. So, who knows? It ain't going to make me crazy. That's been done. The weighpoints marked Y1 and Y2 represent where a wye met the main line. The following businesses were on that wye. It also marks where the mystery railroad connected.











Then I saw this building. I didn't know if I could uncover it enough for a shot. Then I wanted to go inside, but it had "signs" and I decided not to.











It was the real deal railroad building, maybe an old depot or railroad warehouse. I think it was connected to the railroad that left Leesville going east. I know it was. That may make me mo crazy.







This is the tank that was next to it. Was it for water???

I don't think it was high enough for what I wanted it for.







But it might have been for oil.



I returned to the main line and surveyed the depot and nearby buildings from the east side.



Was that a dog trot?







Yes, it's all a part of the museum that is the depot property now.

The next building is another old depot. I didn't see it as such then, being delierious.







Then the Leesville Depot:







As I rode south, I saw this huge old warehouse.







I can't quite figure the rail set up here. There is this very large open space which says "yard" or "business" or something to me. I think you can say for sure the green building had a siding next to those doors.



Past it was this little building, still moving south, paralleling the tracks. It had great roof vents. Everyone and everything needs a compliment from time to time.







"That pipe is connected to the haunting mystery which may push me over the edge", Edgar Allen Poe.



Then a real surprise, engines with KCS on their sides. I thought the Kansas City Southern had been eaten. With them were CN engines, urg. I got a thing about Canada. I had some Canadian jerk come up to me in a campground and start wailing in on President Bush. I almost hit him. I guess I could have taught him a lesson about being a guest in a foreign country, and now I wish I had. "Never pass up an opportunity to achieve a little justice", my new motto. Maybe I should stay away from train yards?







I was now on the west side of the tracks. Here's the south end of the Leesville Depot.







Backing off a bit:







And, at the north end of the station was this cracked bell surely a copy of the Liberty Bell, but I couldn't be sure. There's the museum's sign and you can barely see "Leesville" on the station sign. My framing was getting sloppy. I'm sure that's not all.







Here's the other side of the "little station":







The Dogtrot:







And adjoining facilities:







Some other little house. I'll call it a crew house. I know there's a RR name for it, but I forgot.







Then there was the China Grove Church and School:







China Grove seems to be a common name in the woods. Why?



Across the street was Fertitta Brothers, 1915.











I went west to the old main drag and got the obligatory Vernon Parish Courthouse, 1910, picture.











Leesville is not a recent happening.



The Police Jury building was down the way. Do we still have Police Juries? Google "Napoleonic Code".







I was and am so proud of myself. I was headed out of town and I was really tired. Then I remembered seeing an old railroad structure on the north side of town on one of my trips. I needed to investigate. I u-turned and headed back through town. Leesville is not so bad when you get use to the 15 lights on 171.



I went under the train overpass and blew off that shot since I have one.

I was right.







I had to stop, pull out the water and Dr. Pepper and stoke my box before pushing on. After I'd replaced my helmet I crammed 2 granola bars in past the front bar into my mouth. Feeling physically rejuvenated, I went on down to the station across the grass on the bike. Was I getting wild and crazy!!! The heat will set you free. The station was from Benson, DeSoto Parish, La.



This was evidently going to be a little tourist area. It's all for sale.







I had to pull the vine away from the name to make it out.











Here's the little store. I don't know if it's old or a replica?







I got gas at the adjoining Shell station, then headed south on 171 back through town. Seeing the old house, I had to get a picture. It was huge and, it was being restored.















I cleared town and was on the south 4 lane when I saw the old store. Not yet having enough "old", I u-turned at New Llano. I was overcome by stuff and had to leave.











I turned east on La.10 which runs on the side of For Polk. The traffic was heavy as it was 5 pm, but it was all coming at me and I had an open road ahead. It got cold and the sky darkened. It stayed that way until Ville Platte and never rained. I threaded the needle the whole way enjoying all the benefits of the weather but none of the rock and roll which is associated with severe temperature changes. Not a drop. It never got over 75 degrees. The bank clock in VP registered 75, and VP felt warm to me. I'm still shaking my head over that one. That's it. Bye.



A Mr.Clark left a nice note in the Guest Book. He remarked that he liked the history aspect of my rides. That reminded me to put a link to the old C&P ride to Camp Claiborne.