HISTORICAL RESEARCH: The Louisiana & North West Railroad: The Ecore RR Bridge

First from Al:
Hey, my windows were fogged up this morning, also, and
that doesn't happen very often. Yea, it was really hot
and humid, we could hardly tolerate it.

Second from Mark:
You get any rain today? Dry over here.
My windows were fogged, up too, I couldn't see the fog.
Not even a half inch yesterday, maybe today though.
{I'm still trying to figure out that "couldn't see the fog" statement.
OK, now I get it, he couldn't see the fog because of the fogged up windows,
possibly a "not seeing the forest for the trees moment? Maybe not? Still,
a report of actual fog would have been nice but as I state below, not knowing
what is going on outside is scary.}

Third, me:
I can't tell what's going on, my windows are all fogged over.

I don't go outside unless I can see what's happening. Until
the windows dry out, I'm staying here.

You remember the bridge I mentioned which the L&NW trains had to cross to get to Natchitoches La.? Didn't think so. It was at Grand Ecore. Google "Grand Ecore" and read for hours about its Civil War history.

Anyway, the thing was planned and approved about 1898. Here's the old commission report on it. Click these to read them better. This will blow your socks off.







And here are some neat pictures of the bridge.
How are those glasses working for you?











That's the new train bridge Marion is speaking of in his statement below.
The old train bridge, which was the road bridge, also, I think, is sadly gone.
My map doesn't show a rail bridge there now?




Great, really great.

My ol' pal Marion once again had something to offer, twice.
Marion has been adding to my sordid, I mean assorted websites
for years. I mean years. His additions have always added knowledge
which you just don't get out of books or on the web. Thanks Marion.

First on the L&NW:

"Steve, many thanks for the articles on the L & NW. I crossed it, many times on my way to Northwestern at Natchitoches. My father's home was Athens so we crossed the L & NW lots of times going to Athens and visiting relatives in Homer. My first job out of NSC was at Gibsland High School. My father taught there in the 1940's, also. The new bridge at Grand Ecore will never have the memories of the old rail road bridge, even if it is safer".

Next he adds:

"Steve, many thanks for the Grande Ecore bridge pictures. I was in Natchitoches in the summer of 1953 when the rivers flooded and cut Natchitoches off except for the Many highway. Lots and lots of water. The railroads brought in steam locomotives because the diesels could not run through the water".

Marion, were your windows fogged? He lives in Georgia now. Could the fogging have been interstate?

I don't have much more to offer other than it seems my windows have cleared up. If you had foggy windows this morning, please write and let me know. I'm trying to draw a map of where foggy windows were seen and that's about all. So far, I know that the phenomenon occurred north of Opelousas and south of Broussard. Get your location on the map. Let's get this done, people.

Thanks everyone for your response.

From Amite:

I thought it was just me!
I too noticed my windows were slightly fogged this morning. Also, heavy fog outside, but it soon dissipated once the sun rose higher. The odd part was that usually our back windows and our back sliding door, which are covered by a "carport" type addition, don't normally fog. They did. Even my truck, parked under the carport, had fogged windows.
Must be El Neeno or AlGore-bal Warming.

From Sunset:

Yes very bad fog here too . Had back glass door and bathroom windows all fogged up. Odd part, those were the only ones to fog up and I have 17 windows, only those 2 facing south . Went to pick veggies and didn't think it was that humid. Didn't feel like it . You think the oil mess has anything to do with it (smile ) And, can we sue B.P.

From Carencro:

No foggy windows here. But then I don't look out the window...................I just charge outside. If nothing kills me I call it a victory.

From San Antonio, Texas.

Well...We are in San Antonio...Foggy every morning here....must be west to east..
far as Georgia, my guess...hahah
Thanks and having fun! SC