Train Chase: Following Trains

This one's going to be a little different.
I can hear the roar of disbelief.

There are several factors that have limited the frequency
and the miles covered in my train chases of late.

One major factor is that the wind has been unmerciful.
I have had to limit mileage because I was petrified to cross
a bridge. That happened again today. Knowing it would,
I brought my easel and water colors along to not waste
time between trains since I'd have to let them come
to me. The second factor resulting in the limited miles
covered is, and I hate to break it to you, but, I'm getting older.
Quality Miles have been replacing Quantity Miles for a while.
It's getting to the point where Miles may not be the answer
anymore.

I've been told that painting is an acceptable hobby for
a maturing gentleman with a few miles on him. That's why
I brought the easel and water colors along. Possibly I can
meld painting with train appreciation instead of motorcycle
riding with train chasing.

Some of the following shots will be camera pictures and
some will be my renditions of the shots that were taken.

The ride began at 1pm. I'd headed down into Sugarcane Alley,
one of my most favorite places in the whole world. If there were
no trains I'd still ride the limited roads available on that slender
ridge stretching from New Iberia to Morgan City. But, since there
are trains available, a ride down there is automatically a twofer.

The main train I wanted to meet was, of course, the Sunset Limited
barreling west from New Orleans with all the leftovers from the
Jazz Festival trying to find their blurry way home to L.A., the other LA.

I was running a little late as I came down Penn Road, west of Baldwin.
A freight had just passed as I slid off the road.



That's sugarcane which could use some water. I needed some, also.
The wind and heat can leave you unknowingly dehydrated and
delirious.



Down the tracks to the west, it had pulled over and a crewman
was returning the switch to the normal position, in line with the
main line.





He sure was working with it. I was so impressed I decided to paint.













Hope you like them.

Then the blue and silver beast made her presence known.
These came out nicely, too.
















After I got home I decided to do a set from the beginning.















After the rail side paintings had dried and I had rolled them
up, I was off to the Cleco plant at Baldwin where I'd await the
freight that shouldn't be late, poetry lovers.

It would be late since the Baldwin bridge was letting boat traffic by.
Did I tell ya I love Sugarcane Alley?
So, I painted the bridge.



I decided to paint the rail corridor toward the sitting freight
that you can't see but I thought I could but it was only
track equipment. I painted it in anyway.



The bridge was turning.







So I painted it some more.



The next hour was a little boring. I had a lovely spot, but
still, nothing was happening and I shot a lot of repetitious
pictures which I'm leaving here since I want you to share
my boredom.



I painted another picture. This light had been red. It still was.
I named this one, "Bridge with Red Light".





Time had frozen on the tracks. I call this one, "Frozen Tracks".
I put a coat of ice on the rails to qualify the title.



This time the light was green. I may paint that one later.



Next, the tracks were bare. Oh, it's history time. The tracks
on the left are the siding to the the old Franklin and Abbeville
Railroad. They are owned now by the Louisiana and Delta RR.



That's the historic switch.



I almost included it in my painting, "Bumpy Rails".



Right across the tracks is the old bed of the Missouri Pacific RR.
It was locally known as "The Frisco". I once followed it everywhere
before I discovered present day trains.



There's that historic switch again. I looked at it and tried
to imagine Lowell's animated diagram.



There were old ties, rail plates and spikes available for shopping.



If I'd had my chair it would have been wonderful.
No one bothered me. I had a spot.



Time for Rock and Roll.
I heard the engineer ask if it was all right for them to use
the bridge tender's bridge. I thought that was nice. Here
came L&D 1504, Mz Patoutville, from Bayou Sale.
I really feel a song coming on. I'll spare you. She's a little
on the heavy side which made the bridge tilt.





She seemed to have a clear track.





She's no Secretariat.












Then I waited 2 more hours and the freight never moved.



I came on home and ordered more canvas and water colors.
Now if I can get my wife to drive me to the tracks, LOL, she
does that already. Sorry, I'm not giving up the chase just
yet, but, it would be nice if that south wind would calm a bit.
Most of our bridges are east west. A south wind with
35 mile per hour gusts can age you and I don't need any of that.
More later.