The Switching Yard

I headed down to New Iberia. I had an idea for a sequel to
one of my other writes but the weather was closing in and
the required setting was not available. I'll leave it at that.
Going down Old US 90, the green flag was out. I saw this as
a positive sign to carry on though, as I said, the weather was
looking very bad. Al and I compare location weather. It
never rains much at his house whereas it pours at mine.
Possibly being closer to the Basin is the difference. He is
closer to New Iberia than I am. That and the green flag
might keep me dry.



This is going to be nothing but rail shots. Sorry, there is
one water tower in it, shot when things got slow. Today,
there would be an interesting mix of players. There's
Mz Utah and an L&D tug coupled to her. The three
Union Pacific engines were running. What was going on?



I worked my way around the small yard that is in front
of the old depot. Ok, that's 1500.



I kept looking for the best angle. The weather became
an interesting asset.



This one I like. The dried grass gives it a mid western look.
I could have told you it was Omaha.



This one shows the 3 engines a little better.


I went off toward Avery Island to see if what I had planned
would be possible.



There were pipe cars sitting on the single track line near
La. 14.



This is at the big feed store.







Bummed out, I took a picture of the water tower.



I worked my way back to the station. I stopped by the
shop and said hi to Fred and Ceylon, their new secretary.
More pipe cars were in the yard there. Ceylon was a mud
wrestler before getting on with the L&D. Before that she
was a cheerleader with the Atlanta Falcons. She blames
losing that position on her weight gain. She also blames
losing the mud wrestling position on her weight gain.
She's a nice girl and I know she's going to work out fine
with the L&D.



Ceylon pointed out their new ROBOT ENGINE.
No kidding. The sign says, "STAY CLEAR....REMOTE
CONTROLLED LOCOMOTIVE". It's a flippin' orange
ROBOT. They let her move it around sometimes, she said.



Back at the depot I worked on more train photo art. I was
really board.



I kinda like this one but just the nose on the L&D is too
small and does not balance the weight of the UP. The
framing of the station and the sky are pretty good. I think
it has motion, and in fact, if I told you they were moving,
you'd believe me. It's all like a really big electric train set
which moves very slowly or not at all. And, I was thinking
about lightning and moving fast. I wonder if that is a
lightning rod?



I was headed home. I went by the west yard and noticed
activity out there. I have no idea what they were doing.



Not much.



I went back to the station. This guy was greasing the rails
in the turn . I guess it was so the fella living there wouldn't
be upset with all the squealing the wheels make on a turn.
I'm not kidding.



I shot the courthouse, the cemetery, the rails, the dead
limb and the old building.



Back down the way was another reference to the Cotton
Belt Railroad. Remember in "Grain Train", I saw an old
Cotton Belt engine in Opelousas?
Nevertheless, I did.



More cemetery, more depot, but wait, there's something
for Mark here, a big radio antenna.


That's a big sucker. Mark, you found me a scanner yet?



Remember who shows you antenna pictures.



I like this one, down and dirty. The more in a shot the better.
You have the UP's, the gravel ballast cars, the scales station
the antenna, and Mz Utah, a great shot.



Then I decided to use the old depot as a frame member.
Remember, all this time the UP's were chugging. Mz Utah
and 1500 were just sitting there.



Then Mz Utah blew a big blue smoke ring and pulled out,
1500 attached.





They were headed to the yard. I knew that chapter
would be endless, but I'd tag along, anyhow.


A fellow biker came by and did the wave.



She cleared the crossing and was on her way.



At the yard they met a third tug. I know this was going to
get intense. Was something broken? Not a flat tire?



Wham, from nowhere a rail inspection car bolted. I took off in pursuit.
I followed it though town as best I could. I was headed toward Jeanerette.
Was it checking the rails for a train they were building.


All three locos hooked up.



They pulled hard.



Stopped and backed up. This would go on forever.


I stayed just to listen to the noises. A hundred cars pushing
and pulling slack makes a thunderous echoing sound. Then
when they break cars apart the air lines explode, POW.
Pretty neat for free.



If you miss this shot, it goes on every afternoon, weekdays.



Back and forth.



The shot of the day. This gets Al by for a week.



It's maddening. I got a headache. That's it.