The Latest from the NI Theater

Friday, I did the Morgan City push. Before leaving on that long one, I was in New Iberia, my local rail stomping grounds. There has been a lot of activity around the tracks there lately. Sadly to say, some of it has dealt with removing historical evidence.

The south wye to the Avery Island Branch/Franklin and Abbeville, Iberia & Vermillion RR. was dug up.



It was tarred over. The warning sign is the next to go.
The next overlay will completely erase any evidence.



This is looking toward the Pesson Branch, Avery Island and
the Iberia and Vermillion Junction.



Also being changed out are the signals. Hum, wonder if they want those?



While on Williams I shot a few more.'

This is a great warning signal. Williams is a boulevard.
Down the center run the tracks.
Cars have to be warned before turning across the tracks.
If a car wants to go straight and the signal goes off, it is a
bit unsettling that there are no rails straight ahead.
It happened to me.
I looked for a train. There was one on the main track, but
not one crossing in front of me, or was there in another dimension?
I've been in other dimensions, take care, they exist.



Do your own caption. No matter what I'd say, I'd offend someone.



Speaking of "dumping":
Here was a find. I'm going back and negotiate with the scrap
metal guy before this sucker is cut up. My wife will love it.



Seems to be all there. I wonder if a Chevy 454 would make
it go again?



On the way home from the Morgan City outing, I saw the
L&D train at the old sugar mill. The mill provides a great
backdrop for a scene shot. The people that did the
movie, "In the Electric Mist", adopted from a James Lee
Burke, Lt. Robicheaux novel, thought so too.



I thought she was pulling out to go to the Williams St. yard
where I could catch a pic of her along the way.

I went to a favorite perch at the Rose Hill Cemetery. I've
taken so many shots there I know its name.



My next backdrop would not be the cemetery, though it has been,
but the old Missouri Pacific "roundhouse" .





Alas, I waited and waited, but I'd waited and waited a lot
that day down in Morgan City. Dark was coming and train
chasing at night is an unknown entity that needs to be explored
on fresher batteries, and mine were weak.

I told the ladies goodnight and hauled my weary bones home.

PS: In the picture below is seen the the north wye arm to the branch
mentioned at the beginning of this little report. It is safe as it is the route
the L&D takes to the Port of Iberia (Pesson), on the old Franklin
and Abbevile route, and to Abbeville when it runs its grain trains.

Here's a test: Did the Franklin and Abbeville ever go to Abbeville?
The fact that I asked it gives away the answer. OK, I'll make
it multiple choice, "A" is yes, "B" is no. I refuse to grade on the
curve, give social promotions or bow to any ethnic group's agenda.
And, I have a paddle and I'm prepared to use it, not to mention
the black jack and brass knuckles plus the A-15 and sawed off.