Crowley

I stole 3 hours out of a dedicated day to run to Crowley again. The dispatcher said that 3 trains would be there. To quote a fellow train chaser, "three trains, that's insane". It had happened yesterday also, but it had been late evening and well, the circumstances had been " just different". The truth is, I don't dedicate well and I needed some fresh air to rededicate for the rest of the day. The count was this, two trains on the siding so Amtrak could get by. I envisioned this.



That wouldn't happen again for me in a million years.

I arrived at Elenore Road. I'd told the group I was going to
Lenore Rd. Hey, y'all, still running up and down
90 looking for Lenore? LOL! There ain't no Lenore Rd.
I'll disclose this right now. I give the worst directions
in the world, or maybe the universe. Being dyslexic
disqualifies me on a federal level.

Work was still going on. Sorta.



There was a bunch of sitting around. Maybe they were the second team?
Or, one team was only allowed to work 15 minutes before another team
had to take their place, being union and all.



Or maybe it was lunch time on the RR. I take my jabs when I can.



I saw one train down there, but where was the other?
The other was that work train from yesterday with the
fancy old passenger car on the back. I zoomed way out
and there she was, a fleeting fleeing mirage. The story goes
like this. She was suppose to pull in behind the freight.
Amtrak was late so the dispatcher let her slide by and get
in front of the freight and make some time down the line,
then pull over for the oncoming Amtrak at another siding.



I may print this one. I really really like it. It has that primitive
water color feel to it.



I rode down Standard Mill. There the remaining freight was.



Right past the old mill she sat. BTW, I tried to get through
the brush at the old mill. It is impossible.



I had a hard time finding a good place to snap her. It's
a busy place with a huge scrap metal business there and
the dust was blowing everywhere. Bad angle.



Telephone pole.



Then Randall came out of the front door, scaled the hood and
started washing his window. The Sunset would be by in a while.

Maybe the dust was so terrible the worn out blades did no good.
Or, if there was any water in the window washers that would only make mud.
Or, he wanted a full window view and not just the pie slice that the tiny washers would give.
But, he only washed his side, was there an inner cab personality conflict? Or a union thing?










Tell me the truth, have you ever seen windows being washed
on an in service engine on any other site? I like to keep it
real on these pages. Tell it like it is. Pull no punches.

OK, you got her looking good, Randall.



He was just in time. Here came Mz Sunset raising hell through the
mill canyons of Crowley at reduced speed.

This shot is so so OK



This one is a little better. It'll probably go in my Trains Under Overpasses book.





Doing good. Notice the dirt on her side. The dust out there is bad.
Randall had nothing to be ashamed of. Everything and everyone was dirty.
Stuff shows up in pictures. Was that signal put up by union workers?
It's slanted to the left, is that a political statement?



Here we go.



I blew it. The camera hung while processing, I wanted spacing
between the two engines. It was a missed second in time. Tick Tock.



There she went.



Another one done gone. I don't experience let down that
often on the road. A celebration or a wake usually occurs
when taking a look at the shots. At this point I knew w/o
even looking.



Randall talked to the dispatcher and she moved out. But,
the great thing about dealing with multi trains is that there
is another chance. And, that chance gives you a chance to
erase blown chances. She was on the move.



See the cute little house? I need to catch that guy outside
and get the story on it. He has to be a train nut.







I took off after her and rode down mill row.

\\







I wanted the mill and the old feed store in the shot.



I like this one. This is the mill AKDN services. It has a lot
of tight angles and confusion in a geometric kind of way.
The truck gives perspective, often missing in my life.
Notice, the truck was dirty. White has its good side and bad.
If you only need sun reflection, that's your ticket. A black
vehicle serves no purpose but to tell people you may have varying
ego problems. What's the sense in having a black vehicle?
They show dirt just like a white one. Go tan, tan is in.
I could go on but I'd really get in trouble.



Then I ran down the alley fast and caught her crossing a cross street.
I consider this perfect. The mill in the background, signal lights going
and guard rail down are all there. As a kicker, I think that boat's for sale.



Then I popped out on 90 and went to the AKDN cross track.
I timed the shot a little early. My excuse is that I was
in an uncontrolled slide in limestone and may have squeezed
the trigger prematurely to avoid a crash.






Then to the rice mill on the west side of town I flew.



Bingo. That's the way you do it.





Then she stretched out to the Mermentau Bridge and then
on to Jennings.





I reflected on my obsessive behavior and checked myself
in for a little counseling session reflecting on the "that's insane"
remark and wondering what exactly he meant.



The session didn't work. There was no one there that could
relate to my problems. I had to go by the yard on the way home.
This train had gondolas stacked high with gravel.





Crossing Lafayette I heard a train. There it was down by the depot.



















Around the Big Bend she went, headed to points west where I'd been



Maybe I should have stayed a little longer? Possibly the people
looking Lenore Rd. would have dropped in?



There was a happy ending. I did rededicate myself and
every one was happy with me. Now that is another first
from this outing that tops Randall's window washing.