UNFINISHED NOT SENT TO HH Researching the Southeast

This one is long overdue. I've tapped several great railroading
minds for information and I know they have expected something
to come from their efforts. I know the feeling all too well which
is probably why this one has taken so long getting started.

I was here.



I was looking for the Clinton Port Hudson Railroad. I figured
I'd found it. I did find it later, but this wasn't it. I'd found the
South Shore by pure accident. I was parked on this gravel
road which exits from US 61 south of St.Francisville.







In the dark tangle of the railed tunnel I looked up and saw
the trestle supports. If not the Clinton, I had to find out
what it was. Thus began an exchange with Virgil who has
gathered and contributed information to me for a long long time.

That was written the other day. I've had since readjusted my approach.
Let me ramble:
In turning a motorcycle there is a very fine line of balance between 2
types of over compensation, low siding and high siding. The later is worse.
In a low side you simply fall into the turn and your turn ends in a glorious slide
on the ground or pavement. In a high side the motorcycle acts as a catapult
and your turn continues into space. Along the trajectory you have time to
realize you really took on to much too fast. While sliding on the ground
during a low side you are too busy fending off the bike that is sliding,
usually with you, and, well, various obstacles which are always present.
I think that maybe I've high sided this little research and ride article.

Excuses and analogies in place. I'll proceed.

In assembling the new and improved Abondoned Rail Rows
blog, I found a piece entitled "Following the Feliciana Railroads".
The title is wrong. It is solely an accumulation information
I'd found on the Clinton to Port Hudson Railroad and a few pictures
of where the South Shore Road had crossed the Illinois Central.

I'd been to Southeast Louisiana three times. I'd traced railroads
from St.Francisville to Woodville, St.Francisville to Slaughter,
St.Francisville to Clinton, and Baton Rouge northward. The pictures
were missing, the ride reports lost in my 10 years of photographic swamp.

I'd stopped doing ride reports and started doing only emails of my
rides since it was easier. I'd look in that pile. I found some of them.
Alas, there were only enough to tell me I needed more. This is
going to be a personal "fill in the blanks" test, or an attempt to
organize what rails operated between US 51 and US 61. I really don't
want to high side this one.