***** Sugarcane and Finding a RR N.East of N.Iberia



This it the History Hunts part of the "Yearly Sugarcane Ride" found over in Back Road Riding. I alluded to the historical aspect over there and here it is.
First the maps.

I recently found a site which listed SP branches in Louisiana. CLICK HERE

Railroads were all around my neighborhood and I'm just now starting to understand them, somewhat. On the previous page, I mentioned not knowing where the St.Martinville Depot had been. It seems St.Martinville was the location of a junction. Junctions are as important to grade hunters as confluences are to river followers. I am both so I can make that analogy with no fear of rebuttal. Oops, I was showing a little attitude. Here's the map of St.Martinville. Important points of interest are, Longfellow Evangeline State Park, a magnificent place. Bayou Teche, a beautiful stretch of water. The SP line going to Breaux Bridge, what I believe was called SM Junction with the line dangling southward which had to be the SP branch going to Cade, the suspected location of the St.Martinville Depot, and the Historic area of St.Martinville, a true treasure. Keep in mind that water transportation was a factor, hence the branch to the vicinity of the bayou.

AS WITH ALL THE MAPS AND PICTURES, CLICK THEM TO ENLARGE.
Remember, these railroad tracks are ghost rails and no longer exist. Only faint physical evidence is still recognizable to the untrained eye. Nevertheless, I am relentless and there is no substitute for training.



The beginning of the hunt was in St.Martinville where I rode and rode the streets trying to get a look at the junction. There was only an open field where it had been and I know you have not received your ghost rail viewing glasses yet, so I'll hold that picture until delivery is confirmed. OK, I lied, there are no glasses coming and I took no pictures of the flippin' field. I also did not take any pictures of the bumps on the St.Martinville streets that led to the Junction as I've never gotten any supportive responses from displaying that type of exhibit.

The next map is of the countryside east of St.Martinville. Points of interest are the Mill, the location of the 1895 rail and car bridge which carried the connector track between the 2 branches, a place I have labeled as "Junction" which is where the connector met what I'm saying was the MPRR and the Kodak moments, the Trestle and Alley. The white line with black dots is my path, the purple lines are the ghost rails. The next stretch of the ride will be following the tracks from the Mill to Loreauville where I'll put a link to the Sugarcane Railroad report and others so you can spend the rest of your day choo chooing. CLICK TO ENLARGE:



We'll begin at the Mill Bridge.



Crossing Bayou Teche I met La.347 at the location of St.John, the name of the plantation that spawned the mill.

I went east along the hundred parked cane semis and wagons full of cane ready for processing.

I was headed to what I call the Junction on the map. Meeting La.96, the Catahoula to St.Martinville Road, you immediately see the raised rail hump.



Looking to the north, out there is where it was. Of sugarcane interest is the re rowed field is ready for planting or possibly already planted.



From the dizzying heights of the hump, I took this shot. That statement made me think of a thought I need to express. The old rail beds of my area, and, of much of Louisiana, are visible due to the fact that we are so wet. They had to be raised much of the time to avoid being flooded. That fact has made us a hot spot for the throngs of international grade hunters I find lurking down nearly every crook and cranny I investigate. You know who you are. You can get shot being where you were.



I have mentioned places I always shoot as chronological check points of how they are doing. This one, not so good, could be better, but the yard is mowed. It is old, La.96 east of St.Martinville.




I followed 96 back to 679 where I continued following the rails to Coteau Holmes.
The rails join the road for a straight run to town where they veer due south toward Loreauville, continuing near the road. South of Coteau Holmes, the rails cross Coulee du Portage (a small stream). On the narrow bridge I stopped the bike, watching the mirror for approaching traffic. There was no other place to park and dogs were barking making my position even more tense. I looked up the stream and my jaw fell. I had no idea that anything would be left. I consider these pictures priceless and certainly the only ones in existence. Notice the height the rails would have been above the coulee, further emphasizing the need for raised beds.



On the north side, the pilings were shorter. I can offer no explanation.



With further examination of that picture, I think I see the answer. There are pilings of equal height further on shore, outlined in red.



Continuing south, I stopped at Walet for a shot up the bed where the road crosses the tracks.





This is the kind of place where I find those creepy international grade hunters.
Opposite that alley (marked "Alley" on one of the maps) is the continuation toward Loreauville.



These links probably don't work anymore.

The Sugarcane RR

Island Hopping on the Lowland Railroads

More Island Hopping


If this stuff gets your adrenalin pumping, south LA is the place to come. I'll be creeping down in the crooks and crannies with you.