Chasing the New Girl on the Block

Breaux Bridge, Thursday, October 4, 2012

I thought the engine was broken.
It was just sitting there and this guy was looking at it.
I figured it was one of those duh moments like when your car stops and you open the hood like 
YOU ARE GOING TO FIX IT.
and you ain't got an ice cube's chance in Hell of pulling that off.

No, it was weirder than that.
It was some loser taking a picture of a train engine.
Wait dude, What you doing on my turf?
Maybe go to the gym or something?
I guess he felt my presence and skedaddled.
I am predatory.
 Blowing off Breaux Bridge, I headed to AKDN's Statesman St. yard in Opelousas, La., 
home of Debre' Henderson, No.19, New Orleans Saints, next Super Bowl Champs,
though they are having a slow start. Start don't matter, ax anyone.
The yellow engine, UP 360 didn't matter, either. It was 
that candy colored red whatever behind it that had my chops salivating.
I knew what was going on but it kept going on and I had an errand to run so I left.

 Returning, I got a look at her.  Just put her number in the Google Box and you will be an expert on this young lady. (She's at least 50)
Which brings to  mind:
The Stones in one of their early songs sang of a chick at the bar, 
"She was common, flirty, she looked about 30...."
We'll the Stones matured as did the chick at the bar,
She was nifty, thrifty, she looked about 50...."
and that's how it goes.
50 is old, but not that old for a diesel engine.
 I take several pictures on location for a purpose.


 Out at the AKDN RR HQ, 4106 had just strolled in.
She's a sister of  701, yesterday's girl.
{Who wants yesterday's papers?}
She's had a due. 701 sure deserves one.
 Heading back to check on UP360 and the new girl, I saw the reason they were waiting,
a 6 engined UP hauler was coming through.
And, there would be another one to follow.
 I waited at Railroad Ave.
She never poked her nose out.
 There they were hiding on the approach.
 They just sat there idling as did I. I got tired and needed to move.


I headed out  Grolee and sat near the I-49 Overpass.
 I sat a long time, thus there are a lot of pictures.
All feature a very slowly approaching light.
AKDN had to stop at each street crossing and flag it.
Yet, the cross country trains can crash through town.

 You cannot tell me that those UP trains slow to 40 going through Opelousas.
Don't be walking the tracks in Opel.
The dogs won't even find what's left of you.






This is Justine

This is Bob.

 They seemed to be perplexed why some loser was taking pictures of their train.

 I caught them at Port Barre after making a wrong turn, unforgivable.

 I and this guy in front of me continued on US190 E.
Look, someone messed up the BB/ Arnaudville sign.
Another loser.

Actually I was slowing down to go home and I did turn, but it was going so slowly I did 
a UE and took off after it.
 Shortly, I caught them. They were headed to Livonia, I feel sure.

 To ease you down slowly from the excitement of the chase, I have a few more pictures.
 And this is a demonstration.
I know a few of you have and are about to purchase a bike on which to pursue trains like I do.
Here's a tip. Carry water and a scanner. The water is the blue deal, the scanner is the black deal.
I have a problem keeping that straight and the black whip antenna tastes terrible.
Getterdone.
Hey, I was just kidding about the gut, buddy
And, I know you are a loyal reader.

Back tothe girl at the bar...She said she liked the way I held the microphone.