The Lost Loop p.8: The West End Story

On both north and south of the Southern Pacific explorations
I ended up here, the Roller Road and Southwest Rice Mill
area. The old Frisco RR, coming south from Eunice had split to
serve both sides of the main line Southern Pacific. How the
agreements, coalitions and arrangements of rails between
the 3 main entities transitioned through the years I have no idea.
The fact that there were 3 choices in town surely helped the
millers. On the last page I showed you how the SW Mill was
now using the AKDN rails as its connection. On this page you
will see how that mill did have a direct connection to the SP.



That map leaves out most recent additions, it is meant only
as a general location reference.




On my first visit I saw this connector coming off the SP.
Being that I was to the west of the AKDN/ T&P / OG&NE
I found it really interesting that the rail system would have
this "satellite" spur. I saw it as a disconnect between the
SP and whoever controlled the Frisco loop (AKDN). It
descended and crossed Roller Road, where I am standing
in this picture.



As I said, the spur crossed the road and landed next to
the SP fill. A train would proceed for a distance on those rails
and then come forward though a switch to go across the road.



The switch did not look that long out of service.



'

Someone forgot a flatcar on the rails next to the SP.
Coming back across Roller Road the rails went to the
access doors at SW Mill.



The rails on the west side Roller Road passed the flatcar
and went to the Riviana Rice Mill. You can see the trace
in the grass going right between the 2 buildings. On the
big map offered at the bottom of the page, you can see
my believed configuration.



Back as SW Mill you can see the deteriorated condition of
the historic rails. It looks like someone has been here on
a "preservation" expedition. (refer to a previous page for a
hint at what I'm saying).



The building down at the end is the one now being serviced
by the AKDN spur. Those rails are on the other side of
the building.



This is a shot of where AKDN's west loop crosses US 90,
the otherwise unused loop that only serves SW Mill. It is
the loop that is shown on my Garmin map as meeting the
OG&NE somewhere east along Mill Road on the south side
of the mills.


Looking down the SP/UP rails from Roller Road, this is
who the rails are. The spur you see is the one just mentioned.
The cross track down there is the outer loop of AKDN crossing.



To the three that stayed with me on this one, thanks for the
company, additions, and positive critiques. I would address
the rest of you but you wouldn't hear me. You won't be
getting this map. It is large, and will only stay in my account
for a short while. So, download it soon. Suitable for framing.
Click the thumbnail below. What I may have missed is this:
to the west of the flatcar the spur may have rejoined the
the SP. I can see evidence in the picture that it did. I rode
out there and took a look down the SP rails and didn't
see any evidence, but I think that I was too far west.
That's it for Crowley. CLICK HERE to continue the ride
home on the second ride to Crowley.