One More Run on the OG Page 2

To read Page One first, CLICK HERE

I was retracing Mark's father's route which he had
retraced. I was retracing it in an attempt to mop up
a little more. I did not go where Mark had been verbally
attacked because my mop is useless is such circumstances.

The orange line is how I feel the Opelousas Gulf and North
East Railroad passed through Opelousas. The yellow route
is my path on Thursday. The map, like all the other images
expands when clicked.



On the previous page I promised that we were finished
with this urban part of the ride. Well almost. I send these
pages out one at a time these days because I'm old and I
never know if I will finish a whole ride report, much less a ride.

That aside, I sent out the last page and immediately got
five responses saying how much they enjoyed just what my
wife doesn't. To them I say, you live with her. Just kidding,
of course. But, they did ask if I had some good ones and to please
post them. So, I will and just not tell my wife about this page.

I had found the location of the Texas & Pacific/OG Railroad depot
listed in an old book. It was in western Opelousas on US 190
West. I looked on my GPS and saw where those rails, sitting
atop their high fill, exited Opelousas to the south, headed for
Church Point.

I was now on a mission to shoot all the rail related and dependent
buildings along the T&P/OG as it went south. Above the depot
was this beauty, still in use.



Just gorgeous, seriously. Those are rail loading doors where
the truck is. There was probably a siding for the business.

Next I went below 190.
Here come the distasteful to some shots. This is one block
south of the depot looking back at it.



This is looking the opposite direction, south.



I was using my "cow catcher" lens for this
shot.

This was in the road. It is now at my house. The place
where I found it is marked on the map above. That
also gives you an idea of where we are thus bringing life
to the whole experience.



It's a rail plate. They are used to distribute the rail's weight
onto the rail tie. The rail sits on it, it sits on the cross tie.
The spikes are driven into it with the tang coming down
on the rail. Done. This one has one guide ridge and the spike
slots on the non ridged side allows for adjustment so the
plate can be used with rails of slightly different base width. I found
a book on rail plates, unbelievable. If insomnia is your problem,
I'll lend it to you.

Two blocks away from the depot were these shots.
Again, looking back at the depot.



And another railroad related business.



I'd say it's oil field related also. Mark's dad knows.

Next, going south and approaching La. 357, the tracks crossed
a large field. In the place of those pictures I'll show the lake
that I couldn't show in the last write because it would disclose
our location. I can show you now because you are too lazy to
look back at the last write and frankly could care less.



Here's looking south from the last "in town" location.



South of town I did this. Yellow is me. The rails are "++++".



At the first crossing I saw Mr. Goodwin had named the OG/T&P's
route after himself with absolutely no acknowledgment to
how it actually came into being. How self gratifying is that?



Here come some non-RR pictures I took trying to get back
to 357 where I could continue south and find other crossings.
You see, following these old rr's leads to places I'd never
go, otherwise. I used bayous and rivers for a while, then ran
out. I'm nearing running out of rr's that actually have visible
remains.



Sometimes these roads peter out. This one made it all the
way to the highway. You would never know it was there.

These next two were in the "community" of Dufilho. I bet
it was a flag stop.



See the cracks in the cement. Looking back toward Opelousas,
below.



I went back east a bit because I saw a road named Sugar Mill.
I'd check it out as it would bring me back to 357.



You don't get more pastoral.









The next road was tempting but it went away from the tracks.
I'll never find it again.





I was now running with 357 toward Lewisburg. The raised
rail bed is very visible, and in fact, I dismounted and stood
in the high grass looking down it several times. I looked both
ways just in case.



Nearby, I saw this place. This older couple was out cleaning
the yard and burning the twigs and such in a small fire. I
guess they were celebrating Fall even if it was in the 80's.
Simple pleasures.

In a curve above La.358 and Lewisburg was this old gas pump
which identified the concrete slab as a filling station.



Its back was on the railroad. I'm wondering if it was a Canal
or Spur type station whose supply came by rail?



After Lewisburg, I really went into an unchartered area.
Again, I would have never explored there unless led by
the railroad. They are great teachers, along with bayous
and rivers.

More between Lewisburg and Church Point later.
It's later, CLICK HERE for the next page.