Run to the Border 6

I'll hurry through this one in hopes of you not noticing or remembering it because I blew it.

When I saw US 90 turning left, I figured, without consulting the GPS, that the old road was being merged with I-10 to cross the bridge. I was wrong. I continued straight until I saw what I considered a barricade. I then turned on this road that went back into a neighborhood of ramshackle houses and destroyed trailers. There were people about who obviously were wondering what I was doing in their domain. I shared their observation and left quietly. I can be very quiet which is a great eploration asset.



I assumed nothing was left and prepared for the ride home. I'd play the railroad game enroute and be satisfied with that having never played it beyond Jennings going west. Then I saw the sign.



I now specualte that the Showboat Club was one of the group of clubs that made up East Orange, La. That may be a stretch since the others were two miles southwest of this point being in two sections, one by the Sabine River and one on the east side of the mile long wooden bridge which burned.

Before I hand over the dialog to a fella who has really investigated this area, here is the floor of the Showboat. I don't know if there was an acual showboat near as there was in the bridge location. I didn't see a canal. But, after the bridge burned, the original Showboat Club might have been moved. A thorough chronological investigation might debunk that assumption so take it as it is, pure specualtion. I specualted the road went this way and it actually went that way. So much for that.







I almost brought a piece of tile home, but decided that would
be over the line. I would have loved to have found a glass.

Below are pages from a site that makes my investigations look superficial.
Well, they are.

Here are the links: CLICK ONE
CLICK TWO
CLICK THREE
CLICK FOUR

There may be more links, so look carefully.

The US 90 bridge landed on Green Street in Orange, Texas.
Orange seems to be a fascinating town. This guy has really put
together a fine collection of old pictures. CLICK HERE
I may have to go to Orange.

If you are interested in this, the end of the road and then some, you'll be busy for a while. I need to attend to business, but will be back this evening. Both of these authors have supplied a look into places few will ever see. Take a look. BTW: The ride home will be great, stay tuned.

CLICK HERE for the next page.