Run to the Border 4

I was done with the dirt road scene and ready to tackle bypassing Lake Charles. It has been a while since I was up in this area. We have camped at Sam Houston Jones State Park so the layout was not totally foreign. How we got to SHJSP and returned I had no idea. How did we go anywhere without GPS's? Click the map to enlarge. Open it in a new window and be able to follow along. There may be some confusion as this route was used coming and going. I came from the east still on the north side of I-10. I'd go back south of the interstate.



I turned north and then west came to Goos Ferry Road. I
knew there was no ferry anymore but being in a historical
place where there was one tempted me. Besides, I was in
the mood to see some big water.



I entered another Louisiana "camp land". Many of these
were camps of the rich and famous, many were not. Louisiana
is a true melting pot. Everything is jumbled together. You have
expensive homes and run down trailers on the same block. The
upside is that it holds down assessment taxes. The down side is that
it holds down property value.

For some reason I took no camp pictures.



I came to a gated community where I doubt single
wides were allowed. I U turned here but that was OK since I
was at the location of the historical ferry. Some yahoo had not
gotten the message that it was discontinued in 1949. He can
be seen waiting across the river.



I crossed these roads. I really like the fact that
the local has named them noting their historical
heritage. But, they were 1 block apart. Old US 171
should have been also the Old DeRidder Hwy. That
seems redundant and wasteful, a real first in LA.





Ok, maybe I'm wrong. Possibly the Old De Ridder Road
predates Old US 171. I know, I'm too quick to criticize and to
be suspicious of our state and local government. I humbly
apologize.

I was now at "new" US 171. I went north and crossed
the Calcasieu River. A wild shot taken on top
yielded this picture. The Calcasieu has a huge drainage
basin that extends up to Leesville. Its multiple routes
disrupt a lot of east-west travel.



Immediately after crossing this long bridge which gives you a
great view of the river and surrounding wetlands, I turned
west, headed through Moss Bluff for Westlake.

I think our old draw bridges are works of mechanical art.
This one over the west fork of the Calcasieu really had a
nice setting.







Here's looking out into the river's back swamp.



Next, I passed a neat old store sitting on the corner where
I turned west again.



He had a few old vehicles there, also. One, I know, was
a '40 Ford pickup.

Westlake, easily recognized by its numerous chemical plants, was ahead.



I was at the first set of east-west rails. This, I believe, is the
KCS headed to DeRidder. The Lake Charles, Westlake, Moss Bluff
are has a very interesting rail layout.



That's it for this morning. CLICK HERE for the next page.

Rail map below. Click it for detail. I'll explain it when we
get back to this area.