Train Chase: Sunday

Feeling pretty melancholic about this being 9/11, I had
to bail out. It was 3 PM and I didn't want to get into a
late evening deal so I just did the New Iberia route one
more time. I know this is probably as boring as an Alaskan
winter, but it works for me. There are subtle differences
each time I dip into the New Iberia rail scene. This time I
was shocked to see a BNSF boxcar sitting at the station.
The story behind its presence must be intriguing. I cannot
even guess. Will I sleep?



Next, there was a malfunctioning warning light. It was one
designed for the boulevard within which the rails ride.
It flashes south, east and west. It must be pretty at night.
The opposite one flashes north, east and west. There are
2 more sets like these. I have stopped and waited for a train
to come down a street. No rails, just a street. It was a surrealistic
moment which left me dizzy and confused.



Realizing that it was going to be a dry run, I checked out
what I thought was going to be a repair of the old historic
turn bridge across Bayou Teche on Bridge St near Burke St.

The MP depot sits at the bridge.







The old bridge is mentioned constantly in James Lee
Burke's Lt. Dave Robicheaux novels.



Instead, New Iberia has again committed historical suicide
by replacing it with this junk or no, is it being eliminated?



This is what they lost. Unfortunately I don't have a real good picture.
I always assumed it would be there forever.
Here's the old bridge and the depot while the depot was being painted.



Rolling back to the SP Depot, I shot the old girls again.





Ah, I knew if I persisted a train would show up.











Hairy knuckle time.







Riding up to Lafayette, I discovered that the old side track
to the historic Purina feed store was still in use.
It's a lawn care place now. That's the reptile skinning place
to the right.





1707 was watching the football game.



Evidently the guys at the Lafayette yard were also.



The Vermillion River, upstream:



The Vermillion River downstream:



That's it.