Train Chase: The Brown BNSF Boxcar

I'd broken loose about 1:30. I'd do my route.
At the industrial park switch, 1709 was exiting.



Ray put the switch right and ....



..... she hauled it on down to New Iberia.



I, for no reason, went north. There I saw another malfunctioning warning light.
I'd seen one in NI Sunday. It was at the intersection of Airport Road and La.182.



I tried to open that big silver box with my keys. None fit.
Surely the switch was inside. Then the cop showed up. Of
course he asked me what I was doing. I asked him what he
thought I was doing. That resulted in him being a little rude
when all I wanted to do was help.

Later I saw the repair man had come. The cop couldn't
open it either. Smart Alick.



I turned around and headed south to see if I could find out
what happened to 1709. Simple games can be fun to play.
Instead, I saw Mz Allegheny 1506. You know there is
a 1505. I have pictures of her at the shop. These old girls
are close to 50 years old.



I couldn't decide which was best.






Mz Laurel Mountain, below, yes, had a twin also, in fact several.

Now the star of this writing, the brown BNSF boxcar. It
had been in my last ride but sitting nearer the station. It
had been moved. This mystery had deepened as I had
expected it would. Boxcars don't usually sit here. Wow!
I never thought I'd be qualified to make that statement.
I guess I am. It carries with it an awesome responsibility.
What a nice shot.



I didn't see any movement in the mystery so I was off to
intercept the Sunset Limited coming out of New Orleans.
On a back road, in the middle of a cane field, I found her
limping along. On several occasions her sisters have come
out of Jeanerette moving very slowly, also. This is right past the
switch to Patoutville. Maybe they weren't sure it was right?

You can spin the mouse on these shots. I can't afford a movie camera.













That last one kind of backs up on ya. Pretty weird.

I chased that sucker all the way to the west switch at the
Lafayette yard. At one point the conductor was talking
about a near collision with a big truck and some idiot on
a motorcycle running red lights.

It did not stop at New Iberia, my chance to catch up.
The stop, if any, at Lafayette, must have been brief.
I got to the west yard switch but the dust had settled.

I worked my way back to the Confederate camp and rested.
Here came 1709 with 2000 in tow.













There's the brown BNSF boxcar. I was thrilled.



Here came Mz LDRR 2000 in tow.





They stopped.
See, there she is right after the two light gray hoppers.



Ray broke the train. The air release noise was startling.



She backed into the industrial park siding and fished out..







..... 4 hoppers. She then backed up and .....





.... and Ray hooked them up.



Then the race was on.



I thought of a new place to perch. I thought I'd have a good
shot of the approaching train. Nope, the trees were in the
way. I did get some great field pictures, though.







Good bike shots, too.



Here they came. This is about it.





I panned quickly to Captain Cade Road.

The fished out hoppers came rolling along.



And my prize, the brown BNSF boxcar. They were headed to Elks.



There goes Mz L&D RR 2000.



I rode home with this guy in the ditch.





I'm not sure about his hand gestures.



I thought he was turning in.



Nope. At least his bike was quiet. Still ......



Oops. I guess that's the downside to ditch riding. He got
stuck in the culvert and didn't come out. I would have helped
him but those hand gestures kinda turned me off. I may
ride back over there and see if he's still stuck. I'd hate to be
stuck in a culvert on my bike. Now I feel guilty. Heck, I'd
hate to be stuck in a culvert, bike or no bike.