Train Chase: Hunting BNSFs

It was late April. I was in the mood to hunt me up some BNSFs.
Mark said to be careful cause the wind would be a blowing.
Indeed it was, but the yearning for some BNSF's was too strong to resist.
I kissed my wife goodbye, a tear rolled down her cheek as she yelled,
"Bring us back some good ones!"
With the inspiration she gives to me, I did feel like this was going to be a fine hunt
I flipped on the scanner. The report said a herd of BNSFs was lolling around Cade.
As I came down Duchamp, all I saw was tracks.

Then, looking south, I seen the evidence.

Dang if there weren't this guy trying to train one.



It was a three header. The next thing I knew, the trainer
guy had disappeared and the 3 header was moving north fast.''



All I could do was watch.



Man, it had a long tail, but, there'd be longer that day.



I moved south in search of the reported second BNSF.
A little two header sat in front of the Quick Stop Food Store.
What was probably another trainer came running out. Traffic
skidded to a stop, them probably thinking he was a road worker
or other important municipal or state employee.



I guess he was going to feed the dad burn thing.



I looked a little closer.



Did you know them thangs have vertical mouths off to one side?
Ugly. Well, you seen it for yourself, it ate him.



I heard a rumbling and gurgling. The mouth shut.



It moved on. Two headers usually have smaller tails.


But it had a long one. With a tail like that it will be well
respected in 2 header circles. It may be a 3 header soon.



Approaching New Iberia, a little L&D ran for her life. She
knew a BNSF was on the way.



Indeed it was.



I tried to stay with it until Jeanerette. I caught it at the Patout
spur and missed.

In Baldwin, a little L&D timidly sat on a side track. I think
it was asleep. Good luck buddy.



I thought about heading on to Bayou Sale where I heard
a huge herd was gathering, but the wind was gusting to
35 mph and I chickened out on crossing the bridge. I'd come
down the interstate and cussed like a drunken sailor the
entire way just knowing this could be the last time.

Back in New Iberia I went down in a ditch and waited.
Low and behold, a five header was coming.



And went. Betty Lou is not going to be happy.





I headed home and 3 little L&D's sat laughing at me.


Two more joined in.



So I pulled out this picture and told them I'd bring the
BNSF's back to eat them. They apologized and said they
were sorry. The End. But that wasn't the end. Scroll down.



PS, Betty Lou did attempt to get on my case until
I pulled out the eatin' picture and told her the same thang.