Hilarious: Trouble

I heard the dispatcher talking to "Amtrak". The Mighty Sunset Limited seemed to be late. When it came from the west, it was always on time, arriving in Lafayette at 10:30. This Tuesday it was either on another schedule or very off. It left Crowley, to the west of Lafayette, after 12 noon. I'd have a chance to intercept it at Cade. I had just enough gas left in the bike from the Lake Charles outing. I'd go for it. I had to be efficient, a quality I have not displayed lately. I wanted a good shot and sadly, the stretch from Cade to New Iberia is pretty bland.

I first tried just south of Cade. It would not do.



I stopped at the old Confederate training camp. It seemed an appropriate place.
I hopped the tracks and settled into another ditch. I've been enjoying ditches lately.
Shots taken at near wheel level seem to convey the "rolling thunder" feel although these
trains are very, very quiet. Without horns they are near stealth audibly.
Below is the road into Camp Pratt. We don't walk in there at night or in the daylight, either.



Mommy, Mommy, there's a man in the ditch!!



That's right kid, and he has a view.



I had even cleared most of the evil focus stealing weeds.









I, of course, got a toot toot hello.
"Hey Jim, there's a man in the ditch".





Look, Loueez, there's a man in the ditch!!



George, did you see that man in the ditch?



I rolled on up to New Iberia and the Mighty Sunset Limited was stopped.
A person or several persons were out of the train and looking at the rails.



A group had assembled.



It was time to zoom in a bit. Two crewman were looking down.
One was definitely a lady. I think she was the Conductor. (es, whatever)



The lady seemed to be giving directions. At least the railroad
has the natural order of things right. A very big third fella joined them.



She saw the problem and pointed it out.



She gave it a kick.



She invited the other two to join her.
Rocketts or Railetts, maybe, I couldn't decide.



The big fella returned to the train.



The other fella and the Conductres had a little conference. I think
I overheard her expressing a degree of disappointment over
his low kick initiative when John and she had given it their best.
And, they had as ...



... they both returned to the train, Mz Conductor in the lead and
the train pulled out. I had to follow this one, and I wonder, now
was it late?







Unsuccessful bike to train shot.



Successful one. Welcome to Williams St., New Iberia, La.



She pulled into the station and, of course, she had 2 lights on behind.
If the camera would cooperate I was set.
The girls of the L&D had moved aside for the Queen to make her entrance.
BTW, this is quite a historic depot and home base for the Louisiana & Delta RR.



I swear I saw them curtsy.





I heard some woman yelling about not getting off "out there
in the gravel". The train moved forward and stopped.
Lt. Robicheaux (James Lee Burke's cash character) speaks
of the Sunset Limited passing below his window in the parish
courthouse which also overlooks the cemetery. There you see both.





I raced ahead for another shot. I cut it a little close.
I've been told by Lt. Robicheaux to stay away from the tracks.
Clete told me to ignore him. Now there's a decision. More later, or not.