The Ride to Mallard Junction P.5

Lake Arthur





We rolled into Lake Arthur and pulled into a parking lot for me to get my bearings locating the rails. We were coming from the bottom right on the map. We turned left at the light and passed over the railroad humps. I went around the block to return. That set up this shot (1) looking right into the lake. This is an example of the scenes there. Just gorgeous.



Along the street were probably some of the homes the carpenter brothers built.
Or, they sure look like lumber mill homes. Betcha. Sure are similar. (2)



Next, we returned to where we were to learn was the Superior Oil
property. Actually, I think Lt. Al saw the faded print on the
building.



We believe this to also be a part of that yard.



The rails served both locations.

Al found the rail ties and is here seen pointing to how they ran.
His contributions have been priceless. Yes, he wears his pistol.
I never feel threatened by anyone else. Read that as you may.



He is standing close to where he found these rail ties.



Looking away from the structures toward town.



The round cement "walls" were a mystery. Each had a
central pipe. I'm thinking they were the axle base for some
type of drilling mud stirring apparatus. The rings were right
next to the tracks. I know that Andy knows.






I should have looked in the little house.



We zigged and zagged following the rails north.



The next shots are at ( 5) and continuing on out of town.



I know, "Here we go with pictures of grass".
Use your imagination.





Those were pretty easy.
Remember, this is south Louisiana. Here we are at about 6 feet
above sea level, if.

Old railroad beds are easy to see. Making them flat is a
pain, so often they remain until they sink into oblivion, like
everything else.

We were now on the northwest side of town at Notts Corner.
It's easily recognized. It's the tail end of a crawfish, Woodrow.
The tail is tucked in. If the tail ain't tucked, don't eat it.
I don't know what I'm talking about, so please, no email. I
think his tail, "his" because he's red, was blown off in Rita or
some real hungry resident, after a night at LA Bar, ate it.



I told Lt. that we're headed back in. We don't know where the
depot was and we're going to find out. Lake Arthur is not
in my backyard and getting here is a chore. I was not leaving
without the goods.



I saw the cement slab and knew it was there for railroad
business. Al and I both had helmets on plus we can't hear
anyway plus the bikes were running so every conversation
is a yelling match. The whole town probably heard me when
I said, "That's got to be the depot".

The Abshires heard me and came running out of the house.

"Did you say something about the depot?"
"Yes, mam."
"You are exactly correct."
I grinned sheepishly knowing that again my knack had showed up on time.

The couple were great. Of course Al knew the families and had one
connection after another. I knew he was going into the Fontenot
genealogy once again but he stirred clear, staying with his X's family
line which he knew to the "T". I sat in awe, once again, as a genetic quilt
was woven.

Kidding all aside, it was a great visit with some super friendly people.
He said that the clump of grass marked the depot. (4)



Then Mrs. Abshire went into the house and pulled
out a group of pictures and history that a Fitzgerald
had done. I remember a Fitzgerald from something
I read. I shall pursue that.

They were shots from the hay days of the early 1900's.
The place was a resort town. It's a high water slide.



Below was the Lake Arthur High School
and an excursion boat beneath that. She offered to
copy and mail the whole load to me. I couldn't put
her through that. It is findable.



I was going to link this page to my long ago visit here.
But, it seems that ride was on Geocities, and gone. But,
I have the pictures.

Under the La.14 Bridge, winter.



Looking out on the lake.



And the famous LA BAR.



Some Guzzi rider was in attendance.

Taken closer to the lake looking toward LA BAR.



Lake Arthur was well established in 1914.

Next are two versions of the same scene. I can't make up
my mind which is better. BTW, the shots were total accidents.



The power wire is troubling but I like the docks on both sides.
The swirl of the wave is pretty cool, too.



More later as we go up the line.

CLICK HERE to go to page 6