The Ride to Mallard Junction P. 10

Here we were. The Hippie Experience had left me a
little dizzy and hungry.

I looked around in amazement, thinking that I had
taken a Magic Carpet ride into Electric Lady Land
where the Trains Kept a Rolling All Night Long.

Alas:

The place actually exists. No yellow bricks.

I'll settle down, back to academia:

OK, here what all that means if my guess is right
UPRR, that's easy, Union Pacific Railroad.
M.P. 215.25 is, guessing, Mile Post ....., the distance from
here to somewhere where they start measuring. My guess,
New Orleans. Houston is too close. San Antonio, I think, too far.
DOT is the Department of Transportation number.
And a number to call if something needs to be reported.
Like us.



I guess it was all kinda anticlimactic.
Rails to Iowa:







The Mallard Junction Switch to points south and Lake
Arthur.

Below is looking toward Lake Charles. We saw a light we
thought was coming continuing our way. I've been on a roll
where trains just show up when I do. Mallard would break
my streak.



Here's another look, why, not much else to do.



Airplanes broke the eerie silence.



Leaving we passed RR AVE. It was a poignant moment.



I know, if we had just stayed longer something would have
happened. Wouldn't you know it, about at Mermentau, the
Sunset Special went roaring west. I figure if we had remained an
hour we could have waved at the crew and passengers at
Mallard Junction. Now that would have been something to write
home about.

Next we will continue and then merge with the Ride to the
Border Ride which has been on a side track waiting for us
to catch up. I'll have to wait for signals to get that done.

CLICK HERE TO GO TO MALLARD JUNCTION 11

Hey, you got some nachos?

C