Visiting the Stores and Locks p.7



As we crossed the old US 90 bridge, waves of memories came flowing in. Haha.





1938



Al and I have done a bit of reflecting on our picture taking in Morgan City. He admits to not taking enough shots because he is not in tune to being a cub photographer, yet. I didn't take many because, I guess, I didn't have the "fascination" edge that day. I was intent on finding the Confederate fort and I'd done all of this before. So, end result is that not many pictures were taken. I'll link you back to that old ride to the point where Morgan City was covered pretty well. We actually went into the seafood shop which reminded me so much of New Orleans. The black and white pictures (not the postcards), well, most of them, that you've seen so far, were shot at that shop. Cool place. That later. And, it's on Railroad Avenue. Here are some shots on Front St. and near the courthouse. Our tracks are the yellow line.

I'll start at the courthouse, not exactly our progression, but it works best here.








Some might think that Morgan City was named after Morgan the pirate. That assumption might originate from its past reputation as a frontier town. That's as kind as I can get. That reputation did not originate with its original citizens, but with the influx of the oil industry. I believe there is an old James Stewart movie which is based on Morgan City's first days as an "oil town". Where I will show you next, you did not go unless you were proficient with a gun or knife, because stuff happened.

This is Morgan City's First Street. Front Street, I believe, is on the river side of the seawall. You can ride through the gates and get great shots of the river front. I'll have to find some of the legends of this area and post them.



The neighborhood around the courthouse is quite pretty. There is a beautiful park just down the road. The place has the feeling of an old town on the Gulf or maybe that's just me.

An old bank building is across the street. It is named "Bank Building", no doubt foreshadowing the future of the banking industry where, nowadays, banks change names as quickly as days.

The last reincarnation was the CNB.





Catty cornered from the Courthouse is this neat little sidewalk cafe. The skyline is a constant reminder of Morgan City's proximity to big water.



The massive Post Office Building sits across the street.



Next, we'd head for Railroad Avenue.



Here is another of Bert's postcards depicting the railroad's use in the vicinity of Morgan City.



New page will be at the Civil War battlefield. You can review the old Morgan City write by CLICKING HERE. Be sure to go to continue to the next page in that write.

CLICK HERE TO GO TO PAGE 8