Ever been to Ebenezer p. 5

Hi. I'm Fred. Steve told me to finish this thing before I could quit.

OK, already. Where did I leave off?

Here's the map of the next stretch of his seemingly mindless ride. He said he was done with the railroad stuff in Mamou. I failed to ask how long it took him to come to the conclusion that there is so much, and then that's it. He gets stuck in ruts and then wonders why no one reads these things. Below is the map. He said the ride wasn't doing much for him either and headed home as directly as he could. I think US 190 was the direct route and it got intolerable so he tried an alternative route but the bridge was out and he had to return to 190 at Lawtell.



Being in Lawtell, a rare occurrence, he decided to take a few pictures of the disappearing history along US 190. I'll throw up the pictures, as directed. I'm really not paid enough to do extensive diagnostic evaluations and that only results in negative feedback, anyway. When I took this job, I insisted on no goofy guest book.

Here is a what remains of Lawtell. By the way, there was a United Gas Pipeline camp where the employees lived back off the main street. I remember visiting there. He told me not to mention anything personal. I don't care, I'm quitting after this one, anyway if he doesn't pay me more.



This is a grocery store. He told me to put something. Looks like camping is allowed. So, everyone, let's pitch our tents in Lawtell.

Here's some rental place. It has a T&P generator out front. I wonder if China stole the name of that once proud railroad? Mike is not going to be happy. He's Steve's problem, I just work here.



He evidently likes old service stations. Old, rotting, disappeared stuff, what's the deal?



Across the street was a large combination service station and garage? Looks like a big workshop on the back. My guess. I'm sure I'll hear repercussions for guessing.



Down the way was a mill or something. He knows people who'd know, but tee hee, he ain't here. Hold the phone, one of his buddies just called in and said it was a lumber mill. That led to a lot of ancillary information about a museum, 3 honky tonks, wild nights in the late 50's and 60's and a discussion of the youth of today. I couldn't get her off the phone. I took notes as directed by the caller. She said if I didn't she come meet me and I believed her.



I'd say this was an old bank.



Looks like it did pretty well and they had to expand the vault.



He usually looks pretty close at these old building and tries to figure out the story on them. Either he didn't this time or has just blown off all that? Here's another of his tin buildings.



And one of his signature old houses. I didn't know there were any left that he hadn't shot yet.



That's it for my Lawtell assignment. I see I forgot to show his Lindsay Downs shots. Here they are. On the note he says this is the place he won his first and last motorcycle race and that the owner let him in since he told him that he was a past celebrity.

He told me he climbed this thing.





I don't think he climbed it too far. He doesn't really lie, it's maddening. Out there somewhere, he says, was the spot where he won the motocross race, crashing on the second one, being run over, and dragged for a full lap behind a Hondaka 2000. Damn. Hold on.



I, personally, think that's a bunch of........



So does that Longhorn, seen out there.
He'd probably thinks that about this page, too. Tough.
Steve had a box of Leonville shots. He can post them if he wants. Enough is enough.

To read the Ebenezer Ride again, from the start, if you are a masochist, CLICK HERE.