New Perspectives in Sugarcane Alley



The ride south:


I went by Ruth, a now imaginary place out of the past. There was a sugar mill there and a little store. The store is closing. It was famous for its cracklin. (interpreted as fried pig skins for you rednecks).
The "Please Horn for Service" if you are cripple (or too drunk to come in) sign is a classic.

From there I did the usual pilgrimage to New Iberia and shot a few train shots which I will (update, "not display") display at the end of this ride report as they are really residual in nature.

In the train department there were a couple of major hits which I will get to now as they were exciting. Then there will be some non train stuff that was wild.

Train Stuff:

I found Mz Allegheny
She had sisters, I have no idea where they are.


I also found Bayou Choupique.
Why is it important?
Because, in the Battle of Irish Bend, the bridge over Bayou Choupique,
the Rebel's way out, was mistakenly burned which had consequences.
General Taylor was livid.
Our buddy, Captain Cornay just made it across the burning bridge.
Had it been here?


 

I thought I'd have a chance at intercepting the Sunset Limited on her way west.
I had no idea of what was to come.
I found a new place on the east side of the Wax Lake Bridge.
It is better than the west side and a new perspective.

Let me take you through it first. Then we'll watch the train do it.






 


 Here she comes.












I figured the day's show was over and I'd head on back. 
This is as far as I like to go towards the east. 
The next hot spot is Morgan City and I've done it.

I knew there was a Norfolk Southern train at Bayou Sale, a short ways to the west.

But she was pretty much dead in the water and I've seen a train before.

What caught my eye was the activity in the sugarcane fields.

My thoughts are that they are planting for the next crop. 
That harvested stuff will go back in the ground as "starter shoots".

I banged on the engine door and there was no answer so I left.
I headed back to Franklin on the south side frontage road,

I'd been wanting to check out this place.




Nick nick .... swomp. (Easy Rider)

Looking Around


What had the cement border been?
 So I went that way.
 and this way
 and some more
 and that way
 took a break here
 and, I was lost
until I turned around and saw this:
I walked over and read the billboard 











Yes, it was a neat place.

But there would be more. I had noticed a road leading south from the Franklin landing.
It was called The Franklin Loop. It followed the protection levee below Franklin.
Just south of the landing last year's barriers are still in place.
The Atchafalaya River tried to make an end run and flood the southern parishes.

I'm not going to label each of these. I was riding south, then east and then back north to US 90.







 

 Left side is protected, right is not.

 The following shots are to the right (south, unprotected)



 The willows are taking over.
 Cypress


 The pumping station, Water goes from left to right.

I started at that hump way down there (the overpass).
Stuff, you never know until you pry open the doors.

Back in Franklin I found what should be in the History Hunts blog.
It is a spot that I thought was inaccessible, what I thought was the
 Missouri Pacific and Southern Pacific Junction.
It's not but never the less....
This was a moment. It was a huge wye (Y) connection.
Panning from west to north to east.
It was the SP's entrance into Franklin and the Sterling Plantation Mill.





 And this is back west toward the Baldwin Bridge.

Even I didn't realize this:
You can see the wye where I was.
I was looking at the SP's access to Franklin's Sterling Sugar Mill.
See "Sterling".
The MP came in from Irish Bend behind Sterling at the top of the map.
I don't know if it did service Sterling.
As you can see it curved southeast and joined the SP right of way on its own rails headed
southeast to Garden City where its tracks ended.
Now that's a new perspective.


I'm closing it out here. 
The little that is left pales in the presence of what came before so I won't bother.
Not every picture has to be show.
For me, this was a great one. Hope you enjoyed it.

All Right, Don't Mope.
Here's the big train coming through Baldwin.





Feel better?